GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Great coverage ahead:

Georgia Tech participants:

Chesson Hadley
Matt Kuchar
Andy Olgeltree (a)
Richy Werenski

I think this is John Rahm's tournament to lose. He has shown he has what it takes to win in the conditions this course will be playing in. Similar to BMW Championship and Memorial this year.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It's hard to say. Obviously DJ and Rahm stick out. As an aside, I love the Callaway golf commercial with Phil where there are prizes for picking the winner...."Atfer all, I have never let you down at Winged Foot before have I?". Would love to see him get his Slam, especially at that track, so he is a sentimental choice. So many others playing well now. For a (sort of) dark horse, I would pick Fleetwood or Sung Ja Im. Tommy has played well in majors and should win one eventually.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think we can write off Phil at +9 and my boy Tommy at +4. This is why I don't gamble. DJ and Rahm are in a good position at -1.

Deleted member 2897

Ogletree at +1 and should make the cut if he continues on.

The other 3 (Werenski, Kuchar, Hadley) are at +4 and will need to pick up a couple shots.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Koooch has worked his way into the dreaded best player to never win a major conversation along with Rickie and a few others. Nice guy but that may be his greatest weakness as well. Seems content with what he has and where he is....which admittedly is in a pretty sweet spot to be in! If the worst thing to ever happen to you is never winning a major, you have lived a charmed life.

Deleted member 2897

Koooch has worked his way into the dreaded best player to never win a major conversation along with Rickie and a few others. Nice guy but that may be his greatest weakness as well. Seems content with what he has and where he is....which admittedly is in a pretty sweet spot to be in! If the worst thing to ever happen to you is never winning a major, you have lived a charmed life.

Yea, I mean $50 million+ in career earnings. 👀

Kuchar hasn't teed off yet today, but the other 3 are all backing up. Kuchar may be the only one with a chance to make the cut today.

Deleted member 2897

Yea, I mean $50 million+ in career earnings. 👀

Kuchar hasn't teed off yet today, but the other 3 are all backing up. Kuchar may be the only one with a chance to make the cut today.

We all sucked it up today. Thumbs down.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Mickelson shot 4 over. Tiger +8. Spieth +11. Kooch +6. What would you and your top 12 hand picked golfing buddies, playing a scramble format, shoot from the pro tees? +2? E? +8?+20? I guess a lot of this depends on how well you and your buddies play of course. My team (of 13) would all be single digit handicaps.

I know this.... I have walked Winged Foot the week after the last US Open was played there. Most of my drives (from their tees) would not carry far enough to even reach the fair ways so I wouldn't even bother to tee off on most of the holes. But I have never been considered to be a powerful ball striker either.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Mickelson shot 4 over. Tiger +8. Spieth +11. Kooch +6. What would you and your top 12 hand picked golfing buddies, playing a scramble format, shoot from the pro tees? +2? E? +8?+20? I guess a lot of this depends on how well you and your buddies play of course. My team (of 13) would all be single digit handicaps.

I know this.... I have walked Winged Foot the week after the last US Open was played there. Most of my drives (from their tees) would not carry far enough to even reach the fair ways so I wouldn't even bother to tee off on most of the holes. But I have never been considered to be a powerful ball striker either.

I had a similar conversation with a group of my golfing buddies. We all range between 5-15is handicaps. We are younger and can definitely get to the fairway off the tips but we think a scramble of 4 of us could get off the course somewhere around +10. Putting would screw us.

Deleted member 2897

I am ~90-95 golfer. I would shoot maybe a 125 on the pro tees there.

Deleted member 2897

Former uGA golfer English tees off at the first. Despite cameras showing where the ball landed just off the fairway, about 30 people looking, he was unable to find his bail. LOL. So back to the tea he goes again, already lying 2. 3rd shot, back off the tee lands in the rough again. LOL. Then hits into a bunker on his 4th. Par 4, and he needs a great shot out of the sand to avoid a 7. I might shoot a 150 from those tees on that course.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Like I said, I saw that course after the '06 Open. I regularly shoot around 80 but I am telling you, that at the age of 61, I would be more likely to rush for 50 yards in a game in the NFL or get 8 points in an NBA game than shoot under 130 on that course. Their tips aren't even the back tips that most of us think of when we say the tips. That is the beautiful thing about golf. You can actually compare yourself to the pros by playing the courses that they play. No other sports allows us weekend warriors to simulate that experience.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Like I said, I saw that course after the '06 Open. I regularly shoot around 80 but I am telling you, that at the age of 61, I would be more likely to rush for 50 yards in a game in the NFL or get 8 points in an NBA game than shoot under 130 on that course. Their tips aren't even the back tips that most of us think of when we say the tips. That is the beautiful thing about golf. You can actually compare yourself to the pros by playing the courses that they play. No other sports allows us weekend warriors to simulate that experience.
You're right on about the top pro courses.

Played Kapalua the day after the Mercedes Open and the grandstands, etc were still up. Was regularly shooting 80 on courses with difficult slope ratings. They had the “Pro” tips closed and played the regular tips. Shot 117. You haven’t lived until you hit the same bunker shot away from the green twice on the same hole. Humbling 6 shots from/around the bunker to get on the green on a par 4 plus 3 putts for an 11. The roughs all around the course were murderous. Took all you got to advance the ball any distance. I did have a couple highlights but they were few and far between. Almost made the green in 2 on the 609yd 18th after a 349yd drive a 250yd 2 iron. I prefer to walk and carry my bag, but I never have been so tired after riding in that cart than I was after 18 holes on that course.