2020 National College Baseball Thread

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
One thing I don’t like about RPI is outlined by the Tennessee case. Nolan has them #41 and NCAA @#44. Their record is 13-0. What more could they do? Schedule tougher traditional teams, earlier in the season? I get that part. But most D1 play teams in the corridor or Northern schools willing to come down as far South that they can schedule.

GT is 88th in Warren Nolan, as Fred likes. I prefer the NCAA one, where Tech is #70.
https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d1/rpi

I'm a Warren Nolan fan myself. His site makes it easy to check Men's basketball, Women's basketball, and baseball all in one shot. RPI, NET, ELO, whatever the next hot acronym will be.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand.
Other teams have lost more, but I guess their losses were to better teams that win?

We swept Ohio State, HARD and they're 3-6 and have a higher Rank?
Nebraska is 2-7 and ranked higher?

How does this make any sense?

upload_2020-3-4_18-29-19.png

Harvard is 0-6 and is #27? Seriously?
Eastern IL is 4-5. Who the hell did they play?
upload_2020-3-4_18-37-1.png

Last edited:

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't understand.
Other teams have lost more, but I guess their losses were to better teams that win?

We swept Ohio State, HARD and they're 3-6 and have a higher Rank?
Nebraska is 2-7 and ranked higher?

How does this make any sense?

View attachment 7900

Harvard is 0-6 and is #27? Seriously?
Eastern IL is 4-5. Who the hell did they play?
View attachment 7901
I'll repeat. Meaningless until way more "results"... but to address your questions a little....
When everyone was 0-0... they are all literally tied for #1 (or #301) in RPI. As for Harvard. They are 0-3 (not 0-6). They lost to Alabama on the road. The least damaging outcome RPI wise is losing to a better team on road. Alabama is 13-0 btw.

Trust me... in 3 weeks or so, it will make more sense.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I'll repeat. Meaningless until way more "results"... but to address your questions a little....
When everyone was 0-0... they are all literally tied for #1 (or #301) in RPI. As for Harvard. They are 0-3 (not 0-6). They lost to Alabama on the road. The least damaging outcome RPI wise is losing to a better team on road. Alabama is 13-0 btw.

Trust me... in 3 weeks or so, it will make more sense.
The best wins that #18 13-0 Tennessee has had so far has been wins over 11-1 Texas Tech,3-7 Houston and 4-8 Stanford who they beat at the Round Rock Classic in Round Rock,Texas.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
This might not be the best perspective, since RPI really got started in basketball and trying to select the best teams when it went from 16 all the way to 68 over time. However it was never part of a team goal to finish with a top rating percentage index, and probably still isn’t. In basketball you pretty much know winning 20 gets you a postseason bid. In college baseball modern times, I’ve always wanted GT to get to 40.