2020 Freshman Jersey Numbers (Includes a Single Digit)

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Link

"After arriving on campus this past weekend, Georgia Tech’s freshmen learned their jersey assignments for the season ahead Monday, courtesy of coach Geoff Collins. There also was one more jersey, No. 7, held to honor the late Bryce Gowdy."

... "running back Jahmyr Gibbs, rated the No. 75 prospect in the 2020 class (247Sports Composite). Collins gave him No. 21, worn most famously (and in succession) by Tech greats Calvin Johnson and Jonathan Dwyer."

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
What's the deal with all the multiple numbers?

As long as they aren't on the field at the same time, it's allowed. Offense/defense is the easier split. Whatever the team wants. I would probably prefer to have a number all my own, but I don't care if the guys want it differently. Overall I like that our numbers are meaningful, particularly having to apply for a single digit. Only issue on the field could be special teams, but I'm sure they'd switch someone if it worked out that an offense/defense overlap ended up where both guys may end up on the field in special teams.

Maybe new ones are overlapping on the same side of the ball? Haven't checked. If so, I'm sure there will be number changes among the returners. Collins apparently assigned the numbers himself. Doubt he would force anyone out of an existing number or assign a duplicate without checking.

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
As long as they aren't on the field at the same time, it's allowed. Offense/defense is the easier split. Whatever the team wants. I would probably prefer to have a number all my own, but I don't care if the guys want it differently. Overall I like that our numbers are meaningful, particularly having to apply for a single digit. Only issue on the field could be special teams, but I'm sure they'd switch someone if it worked out that an offense/defense overlap ended up where both guys may end up on the field in special teams.

Maybe new ones are overlapping on the same side of the ball? Haven't checked. If so, I'm sure there will be number changes among the returners. Collins apparently assigned the numbers himself. Doubt he would force anyone out of an existing number or assign a duplicate without checking.
Some of them are at the same position....almost like they know who will be scout team?

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, I just checked the roster. See potential # conflicts below. I ignored duplicates on opposite sides of the ball (e.g. #1 Juanyeh & #1 Jalen), and also duplicates with a walkon.

Heard anything about Dolphus and Jump moving on? Assuming Bruce will change #'s with the position switch.

#12 - WR Adonicas Sanders & RB Bruce Jordan-Swilling
#21 - RB Jahmyr Gibbs & WR Stephen Dolphus
#71 - OL Harrison Jump & OL Ryan Spiers

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Link

"After arriving on campus this past weekend, Georgia Tech’s freshmen learned their jersey assignments for the season ahead Monday, courtesy of coach Geoff Collins. There also was one more jersey, No. 7, held to honor the late Bryce Gowdy."

... "running back Jahmyr Gibbs, rated the No. 75 prospect in the 2020 class (247Sports Composite). Collins gave him No. 21, worn most famously (and in succession) by Tech greats Calvin Johnson and Jonathan Dwyer."

Oh yeah I’m pumped as hell to see our star RB pickup getting assigned 21 like the old days! My only problem here is they should have given Jonathan Smith a mention because that dude was a baller and passed the number directly to Megatron.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Oh yeah I’m pumped as hell to see our star RB pickup getting assigned 21 like the old days! My only problem here is they should have given Jonathan Smith a mention because that dude was a baller and passed the number directly to Megatron.

Very underrated IMO. Dez and Kelly stole the show ahead of him.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
You're absolutely correct. I think we could have 2 1k yard rushers this year and it could be any of our running backs. I'm extremely excited about this position group!

Completely with you on the level of excitement about the RB room at GT right now. If you're an opposing defensive coordinator you gotta hope we don't hand it off to any of these guys from Jordan Mason, to Jamious Griffin, to Dontae Smith, to Jahmyr Gibbs... heck if I'm an opposing DB the last guy I want to see get the ball might be BJS!

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Completely with you on the level of excitement about the RB room at GT right now. If you're an opposing defensive coordinator you gotta hope we don't hand it off to any of these guys from Jordan Mason, to Jamious Griffin, to Dontae Smith, to Jahmyr Gibbs... heck if I'm an opposing DB the last guy I want to see get the ball might be BJS!

Could you imagine if we just rolled out oldschool wishbone power at times. I mean seriously just line up and get down hill. BJS at Full, Mason and a speed counters, sweeps, inside traps, outside traps, influence traps, power toss, FB dives etc.

Might solve some short yardage.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I hope to see us getting the ball to Jamious or Gibbs in open space with one on one on a CB or LB. Let them do their thing. Jamious struggled at times last year trying to run inside but that was probably due more to poor blocking than his ability. Gibbs can flat out juke guys in the open field based on his HS film. I hope to see a lot of 2 RB sets this year to get Mason +1 on the field at the same time. I am surprised that some of these duplicate numbers are on guys that are both on O.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I hope to see us getting the ball to Jamious or Gibbs in open space with one on one on a CB or LB. Let them do their thing. Jamious struggled at times last year trying to run inside but that was probably due more to poor blocking than his ability. Gibbs can flat out juke guys in the open field based on his HS film. I hope to see a lot of 2 RB sets this year to get Mason +1 on the field at the same time. I am surprised that some of these duplicate numbers are on guys that are both on O.
Definitely want and expect two back sets this season (presuming there is one). We have got to set the tone with an OLine improvement, but I think it is fair to expect that from the older, bigger dudes who will be anchoring the line up front. Presuming no injuries of course.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Could you imagine if we just rolled out oldschool wishbone power at times. I mean seriously just line up and get down hill. BJS at Full, Mason and a speed counters, sweeps, inside traps, outside traps, influence traps, power toss, FB dives etc.

Might solve some short yardage.

Personally I would rather have a more traditional pro-style base with a lot of under center stuff, man blocking schemes updated with concepts from the modern zone-blocked spreads & RPOs. But you take risks trying to teach your guys multiple different types of techniques. Perfectly fine to try to master what we already have.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Personally I would rather have a more traditional pro-style base with a lot of under center stuff, man blocking schemes updated with concepts from the modern zone-blocked spreads & RPOs. But you take risks trying to teach your guys multiple different types of techniques. Perfectly fine to try to master what we already have.

I am just talking about a package. would simply be a heavy package. Could also do it out of the power I. Rest of the offense would be the same. Every play i listed is still man blocked. Zone and stretch can also be run. You aren't digging and cutting its all power.