2019 Rule Changes Approved

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good stuff. This is my favorite change:

"A batter cannot make a movement to intentionally be hit by a pitch. A player who leans or sticks a portion of his body to be hit by a pitch will have a strike awarded to the count, regardless of where the pitch is located."

There have been too many players who are wearing big arm padding and sticking it close to or in the strike zone. Our players haven't been coached to take advantage of this peccadillo, so I like the change.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

"A batter cannot make a movement to intentionally be hit by a pitch. A player who leans or sticks a portion of his body to be hit by a pitch will have a strike awarded to the count, regardless of where the pitch is located."

There have been too many players who are wearing big arm padding and sticking it close to or in the strike zone. Our players haven't been coached to take advantage of this peccadillo, so I like the change.
Agree... but to pick a nit. I've never umpired; but curious for those with experience... how difficult is this call for the umpire to see? ...& what is new about the the rule? Is it the strike part? Because it seems I recall players not being awarded 1st at times after being hit at times recently.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Agree... but to pick a nit. I've never umpired; but curious for those with experience... how difficult is this call for the umpire to see? ...& what is new about the the rule? Is it the strike part? Because it seems I recall players not being awarded 1st at times after being hit at times recently.

I think it is the strike part. Last year players leaned closer to the plate and been hit but not awarded first base. I think the call was usually or always called a ball. I can't remember a single strike out after a player was hit. That could happen this year.

".... how difficult is this call for the umpire to see? ....... I think it has been protested by fans forever that umpires can't see. (tic)

gtrower

Helluva Engineer

Miami had a kid 5 or 6 years ago that was batting about .150 but had ~.250 on base percentage because he would dip his megaman arm in constantly. That's the only one that sticks out in my memory though.