2017 Offseason Thread

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I am a little late to this party but I think you are very liberal in the use of your term "plenty" here. Think of all the people you have ever met...then think of how very few of them are Tech engineering material. Then think of all the people you have met with the size and athletic ability to play D1 fb. If this were a Venn diagram, the probability of finding a human being in the intersection of these 2 sets is incredibly small. So unlikely that to this day, even though I got out decades ago and have met many talented people in their field, this accomplishment is so rare and unfathomable to me that I cannot wrap my mind around it. Really. I have known many (of course) Tech engineering alums and have met/known several former GT FB players. Only known 1 guy personally who had done both although I know that there are a few (not plenty) others who have done that.
Yeah, I guess it depends on your definition of plenty. I just meant more than one or two. When I was in school, I know Jerelle Williams was an ME and Stefen Scotton was an Academic All-America EE (I believe, but could've been ME). There were others but I don't remember all of them.
Let's look at this year's team: Brant Mitchell, ME; Shamire is listed as Literature, Media, and Communication but I could've sworn he was Comp E; Jalen Camp is Comp E; Brad Stewart, ME; Stephen Dolphus, ME; Brandon Adams is Biomedical E; Anree Saint-Amour, IE; Jay Jones, ME; Tyler Cooksey, Civil E; Xavier Gantt, Comp E. That's quite a few and I couldn't find the Freshmen to look at them. Certainly it's tough but it is doable, you're not going to graduate in 4 years most likely and some of your classmates that chose business or something else (JJ Green graduated with History, Technology, and Society) will be moving on to their MBA or something if they were redshirted.

tl;dr - It's tough but more than one or two guys that are on the team (not counting walk-ons, I agree with @Ibeeballin that their schedule is lighter) do it.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Not to diminish in any way an athlete majoring in engineering, but I was amazed at some other regular students that worked almost full time (meaning 40 hours, not M-F) and/or had small children that were majoring in engineering. I worked part time on campus (cafeterias and library). I knew people that worked 20+ hours on the weekends. Knew one that worked as a mail sorter at nights in the downtown Post Office.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Not to diminish in any way an athlete majoring in engineering, but I was amazed at some other regular students that worked almost full time (meaning 40 hours, not M-F) and/or had small children that were majoring in engineering. I worked part time on campus (cafeterias and library). I knew people that worked 20+ hours on the weekends. Knew one that worked as a mail sorter at nights in the downtown Post Office.

I probably spent at least that much time playing student center bridge and hearts, and when you add to that the nights spent at 688 etc, I think the football players have it easy.