2017 bye weeks

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Ok this is way, way too early but I can't help myself. I'm extremely curious to see how the ACC schedules things in '17 and how many teams get extra days, byes, prior to our games with foes in 17. 2016 had an unusually high number of instances of this. If 2017 repeats the trend I'm marching on Charlotte with torch in hand.

Deleted member 2897

Each team gets 1 bye week, so you should then also logically have only 1 team who gets a bye week before you. Over CPJs tenure, we have averaged double that number for some reason. It was 3 last year (plus even a few others like Georgia Southern who didn't play anybody the weekend before us, or who played an FCS opponent).

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Each team gets 1 bye week, so you should then also logically have only 1 team who gets a bye week before you. Over CPJs tenure, we have averaged double that number for some reason. It was 3 last year (plus even a few others like Georgia Southern who didn't play anybody the weekend before us, or who played an FCS opponent).

There are years where every team has two bye weeks, I think, like 2014. Pretty sure it depends on where Labor day falls relative to days of the week, but I don't know exactly why. But I do agree with what you're saying.

Doesn't the ACC office allow some scheduling requests from teams?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
There are years where every team has two bye weeks, I think, like 2014. Pretty sure it depends on where Labor day falls relative to days of the week, but I don't know exactly why. But I do agree with what you're saying.

Doesn't the ACC office allow some scheduling requests from teams?
The ACC does allow and entertain requests from teams regarding scheduling. In my limited research, there appears to be no official "release" as to what those requests are OR how the ACC handles each. I would like to see that... if it is available.

I am not a conspiracy theorist... but if you are, look back (and forward) to UNC getting well taken care of with all of these types of benefits... like football scheduling.
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-acc-football-schedule-2016-post.html

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
An opponent bye week prior to our game with them hurts us two fold: a) it gives them an extra week to practice specific formations/personnel packages and techniques they'll only use against us and b) an extra week to get healthy. We get this double advantage over one opponent each year, only one opponent should get it against us. An FCS opponent prior to our game works in a similar fashion. An FCS opponent who happens to run our offense is even better.

GTBatGirl96

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm calling it right now...Clemson gets Citadel, bye week, and then us.

Edit: OK, just checked, they actually have citadel right before rivalry week. So we may be the warm up for Citadel, lol.