2016 NFL Draft - Our DL

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I usually like Matt Miller's player evaluations and insights...but not sure he's seeing the same things we are. Or maybe he knows something we don't:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2456978-early-2016-nfl-draft-big-board/page/11

Kallon one of the top DT's in the nation?! Gotsis is not too surprising as I think he's versatile and will be a BEAST SDE on the next level with flexibility to play multiple positions along the line. When he gets a chance to focus solely on football, and the coaches let him play to his strengths as opposed to playing him where we need him, he's going to blossom.

Kallon has the physical make-up, and from a physical skillset he's probably our most talented DT...he just doesn't have the technical knowledge and experience that someone ranked like that should have. He did show improvement from last year this spring, and I hope he takes the next step because his development, with JHD coming back into the fold, would be HUGE for our defense (literally and figuratively).

LibertyTurns

Banned
Everyone keeps talking about JHD being back but yet another semester results are in & we've got crickets. Is he 3 credit hours away from being eligible, does he need 2 A's in his next 3 classes, etc? It just appears that the goal line keeps moving although I know how hard it is from personal experience to pull up a GPA that's in the tank. I know nobody's under any obligation to let us know but given our collective histories in being shafted it's much more logical to assume he's being bent over the proverbial &%^$ can rather than experiencing a normal college experience like you'd get at the diploma mills.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Two in the top 10....not bad... sure hope JHD becomes eligible...

Really interested in our DL this year.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
I don't see Kallon leaving school early for the 2016 draft unless somehow he becomes the starter and just completely tears it up(unlikely). If he gets some good PT this year and then excels next year I think he could be a good 2017 draft candidate, but no way that happens this season.

Is that Gotsis' current weight? I remember last season something about him cutting down before the season and playing in the 250-260 range.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
It almost looks like that should be Jabari in the Kallon slot. If he plays and has a decent year, his measurables alone will make him a media darling leading into the draft. He'll be a top 10 d-line

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Gotsis was listed at 282 last year, and I find that believable. He's a large human being who I believe originally showed up at Tech around the 300 lb area.

That guy stays in unbelievable shape, and practices with the same effort as with games. He literally runs from station to station as practice periods change.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If I understand the rules, Tech cannot declare JHD is, or isn't, eligible. I think we have to submit the paperwork to the NCAA and they make the determination.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Gotsis was listed at 282 last year, and I find that believable. He's a large human being who I believe originally showed up at Tech around the 300 lb area.

That guy stays in unbelievable shape, and practices with the same effort as with games. He literally runs from station to station as practice periods change.
Hey Doc; I love hearing from you! Someone who is in the know! Please keep on keeping on!! When I read your messages I feel like I'm in the loop!!! You are in my top FIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Hey Doc; I love hearing from you! Someone who is in the know! Please keep on keeping on!! When I read your messages I feel like I'm in the loop!!! You are in my top FIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I appreciate that. My posts will never be as technically informative as most, from the football standpoint. But, I do enjoy the vantage point I have on the program. What I will try to do is always be truthful in what I say; but also use my best judgment as to what I can't talk about.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Hey Doc and whoever; one more pronouncement! I don't get much out of the equasive, complicated, and long multiplaceted post that some of my favorite posters post. I just don't understand what they are conveying to simple minded fans such as the likes of myself. Yes I did look in the mirror before I began this analytic piece of a future noble award. I don't know the xyz into the pie r square hole with the wde and the sde getting knocked down by Mr. Chamberland. However these people hit the nail on the head with a lot of other fans!! My hat is off to that stuff for I know it means something to those fans. Me I just liked reading about Mr. Days Starting out in the center lane then changing course to the west bound lane and hitting the Mis. St. db like Mr Dwyer did to Va. db. Those 2 were very similar in style and essence! Then the run by Mr. Thomas where he gave the mis Lb. the old Chubby Checker twist move and eventually scored!! Then seeing that Tech OL doing their aglorithems on that secondary. Thanks to all of you; you are great fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Everyone keeps talking about JHD being back but yet another semester results are in & we've got crickets. Is he 3 credit hours away from being eligible, does he need 2 A's in his next 3 classes, etc? It just appears that the goal line keeps moving although I know how hard it is from personal experience to pull up a GPA that's in the tank. I know nobody's under any obligation to let us know but given our collective histories in being shafted it's much more logical to assume he's being bent over the proverbial &%^$ can rather than experiencing a normal college experience like you'd get at the diploma mills.
All of his social media posts indicate very positive things, I would be surprised if he wasn't playing in the fall.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
My understanding of Jabari's situation is that it has more to do with benchmarks (% credit hours earned) associated with progress towards degree requirements. Each semester, the percentage of earned credits needed to stay eligible increases. He fell behind the requirement a few semesters ago and has been playing catch up.

I think his actual GPA is less of a problem. I'm not an insider, this is just what I gather from reading the board. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
My understanding of Jabari's situation is that it has more to do with benchmarks (% credit hours earned) associated with progress towards degree requirements. Each semester, the percentage of earned credits needed to stay eligible increases. He fell behind the requirement a few semesters ago and has been playing catch up.

I think his actual GPA is less of a problem. I'm not an insider, this is just what I gather from reading the board. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I've heard the same thing. Also believe I read something that it would take the summer for him to catch up (believe I read that here)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I've heard the same thing. Also believe I read something that it would take the summer for him to catch up (believe I read that here)
I read that too but was not sure if it was speculation or not. The only "evidence" I have seen about his eligibility has been CPJ saying positive things about him, like he is still part of the team and the links people have posted here from JHD's own comments on social media, all of which look confident. All of this is tough for those Tech technical types who typically target tangents of certainty.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I read that too but was not sure if it was speculation or not. The only "evidence" I have seen about his eligibility has been CPJ saying positive things about him, like he is still part of the team and the links people have posted here from JHD's own comments on social media, all of which look confident. All of this is tough for those Tech technical types who typically target tangents of certainty.
"Tangents of certainty" on a Tech board. I love it!

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

Often your progress towards degree is a problem because you didnt pass and that means your gpa is hurt too. I believe JHD had to cure both.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Truthfully, that is not surprising to hear and was one of the main reasons we survived last year as a defense. Gotsis played a ton of snaps last season and he was always going 100%, even at the end of games. With our lack of depth it was absolutely essential that he was in that kind of physical condition. I think that tenacity and endurance are really his top attributes as a player. If you are at least decent talent-wise, and Adam certainly is, then true sustained effort goes a long long way. Not all players give it all the time. It can be a difference maker.