2016 Heisman Award

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Well, we are going to disagree on this horse race but it makes no never mind because Saturday night you won, but if it is as you say, the MVP for the team ... my goodness. Can you even name another player on Clemson's team? And as far as that goes, well, two NC playoffs, once in the final when he had arguably the best offensive game against Alabama ever. That's is kind of MVP stuff to me. (And if it is for the best player, McCaffrey was in a walk last season.) But as I say, you won the argument Saturday night.)
Honestly I think Watson should have won the heisman last year imo.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I agree with your second line. Which is why watson shoulda won. Jackson is valuable for sure, but more than watson hard to believe. Clemson lost 1 game in 2 years; take watson away they lose 6 in 2 years. maybe more.
Well it's based off this year, but you could also argue Louisville would have lost more games this year if it wasn't for Jackson, all of that is just pure speculation though, we honestly don't know what either team would do without them.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Ever since Joe Hamilton got cheated in 1999 the Heisman has lost it's meaning. I'm glad someone in the ACC won it but other than that I could careless.

Heisman lost it's meaning for me in 1956 when Johnny Majors the single wing tailback on the 10 - 0 Tennessee team finished second to Paul Hornung the QB on a 2 - 8 Notre Dame team.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I have never gotten over Billy Lothridge not winning the Heisman. He had a hand or foot in every point we scored until several games into the season, and most of the points the rest of the season. He was our QB, punter, KO man, FG kicker, and PAT kicker. And we beat Alabama who was 8-0, with a 28 game winning streak, and rated #1 in the Nation at the time.

Yeah, as a kid I was heartbroken that Billy came in 2nd. We beat bama in Billy's junior year however.

His Sr year I think we went 7-3 and no bowl. And, looking back, Roger Staubach was a great choice. A classy guy.

As an aside, I think it was remarkable the then small town of Gainesville GA had 2 All Americans in the same year at GT - Lothridge & Martin. And now Gainesville has another runner up to the Heisman in DeShaun. Not bad.

Last edited:

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Well, we are going to disagree on this horse race but it makes no never mind because Saturday night you won, but if it is as you say, the MVP for the team ... my goodness. Can you even name another player on Clemson's team? And as far as that goes, well, two NC playoffs, once in the final when he had arguably the best offensive game against Alabama ever. That's is kind of MVP stuff to me. (And if it is for the best player, McCaffrey was in a walk last season.) But as I say, you won the argument Saturday night.)
Hello Ron Dayne. Who cares what Watson did last year? The Heisman is for this year. And yes Watson has help. Wayne Gallman and Mike Williams are outstanding players in their own right. Nothing against Watson, Jackson just had a better year.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The Heisman is just a popularity contest with too many idiot voters. How long since a lineman has won? How long since a player on D? It's a farce.

This kind of award...best player in big boy ball...should probably be nominated by conference head coaches and coordinators, and nominees voted on by a select few retired coaches. Even that might degenerate to a beauty / popularity contest. But would be better than the over hyped farce it currently is.