2015 Warmest Year on Record

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
It's thought to be caused mostly by the El Nino, so I don't think it's completely the global warming signal.

Unfortunately for this discussion, we will literally have to wait couple decades to really see what's going on. First of all for more data to be available, but also as important for improvement on our analysis and understanding of how it all works.

I live on the water and all I really follow is sea level rise. That's because water level is the best integrator of total planet temperature change over time. The increase in air temperature is a bit misleading as to magnitude since the specific heat of the atmosphere <<<< than that of the seas. Part of the sea level increase is from the infinitesimally small temperature coefficient of expansion of water the rest is largely the net decrease in ice.

Bottom line, the sea level is increasing.

But it's not the end of the world. The world will survive; it has through many mass extinctions and will again. The dislocations of people and changes in species in areas will cause great angst.

And in the short term, some people will make more money if we use don't curb carbon fuel use more and some will make less money. Politics is basically the distribution of money and power. We have had a shift at the top in the US. But having just got back from Ireland and reflecting on their ~5000 years of known human history (roughly picts to celts to vikings to anglo-normans to celts), the political shift we are going through isn't relevant till the shift has remained for a long term.

And global warming leading to mass dislocations is occurring at a rate which is the blink of an eye in historical terms.

So I think I'll enjoy the game today.
(The only certain thing is death; you can proudly avoid most taxes if you are rich enough.)

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Hi Guys,

This is my first post on this site. I joined because of this thread. I have been on gojackets for years but really wanted to be able to discuss issues like this with fellow Tech grads/students/professors/smart fans.

My opinion (not going to go crazy backing it up on my first post) is:

1. There is some amount of warming due to all of the extra CO2 in the atmosphere
2. I think the ground based stations and correlations are not telling the hole story. Combination of extra construction around a number of the sites (More pavement and buildings ) over time
3. I think a lot of the arctic warming is due to the Milankovitch cycles. Just a few years ago there was the most ice ever measured in the antarctic. So using arctic ice coverage as a proof of global warming is a stretch.
4. Human farting is probably the largest contributor of heat trapping gas emissions. Time to regulate our butts. We need a butt tax.

Last edited:
What is chilling about it? Obama cleaned house when he took over. Obama had his clean energy project that cost Americans billions of dollars and got me and you nothing. Obama and the liberal party lined the pockets of their "clean energy" partners with lots of money that produced nothing but more debt for the country and higher energy cost for me. My power usage is basically the same as it was 2 years ago, but my bill has risen 30% as of today. That is because of increased fed regulations on the power companies. I can't prove it, but I'm sure Obam Bin Laden made good bank off the wind turbines, solar pannels, and every other type of "clean energy" source. Climate change is going to occur whether we want to or not. Did the inhabitants of the planet cause the first ice age? No. Me or my family will not be here when the dam breaks, so with that being the case I'm just going to enjoy the ride to the end.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What is chilling about it? Obama cleaned house when he took over. Obama had his clean energy project that cost Americans billions of dollars and got me and you nothing. Obama and the liberal party lined the pockets of their "clean energy" partners with lots of money that produced nothing but more debt for the country and higher energy cost for me. My power usage is basically the same as it was 2 years ago, but my bill has risen 30% as of today. That is because of increased fed regulations on the power companies. I can't prove it, but I'm sure Obam Bin Laden made good bank off the wind turbines, solar pannels, and every other type of "clean energy" source. Climate change is going to occur whether we want to or not. Did the inhabitants of the planet cause the first ice age? No. Me or my family will not be here when the dam breaks, so with that being the case I'm just going to enjoy the ride to the end.

Potential political retribution against Government employees because of membership in professional societies is chilling to me. As is potential political retribution for scientific views.

I don't think Obama or ANY previous administration, Republican or Democrat, targeted Government scientists on the basis of membership in professional societies or for scientific view. Top political appointees are changed out all the time, but not the Government scientists.

Neither of us will be here when the dam breaks. But that's not a reason for me to do what I think is the wrong thing. I'm paying more and operating an electric car since I think it's the right thing to do. And when I replace my southern facing roof, I'll put up solar panels. So that's the way I choose to spend my money. I can only control what I do.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
@GTNavyNuke That is one thing I think we can all agree on. It is better to use Solar power than fossil fuels. Yes it may be more expensive but still just on the elementary level it has to be better for society as a whole. Wind energy and solar are sitting around untapped for the most part.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
This election season was by far the worst I have ever seen with distorted headlines, articles and blatant agendas (On both sides). I have gotten to where I have to see the original speaker, interview or document so the whole context can be understood.
My initial reaction is it is probably a slanted article and picking bits of facts to slant the article. until I can read the original memo in full I will lump it as a hit piece. But I could see where there could be some thruth to it and if so I would have some problems with it. But then again it depends how many additionas and changes have occurred to the deparment under the previous administration. I would like to see a little refocus on looking at it from a longer term perspective of history vs future prediction. i.e. real science vs what I feel is a bit of trying to fit an agenda to the data adjusted facts

Potential political retribution against Government employees because of membership in professional societies is chilling to me. As is potential political retribution for scientific views.

I don't think Obama or ANY previous administration, Republican or Democrat, targeted Government scientists on the basis of membership in professional societies or for scientific view. Top political appointees are changed out all the time, but not the Government scientists.

Neither of us will be here when the dam breaks. But that's not a reason for me to do what I think is the wrong thing. I'm paying more and operating an electric car since I think it's the right thing to do. And when I replace my southern facing roof, I'll put up solar panels. So that's the way I choose to spend my money. I can only control what I do.
Obama cleaned out Washington when he took over and that includes all scientist and EPA personal. They didn't fit Obama's agenda. Again you can believe anything. The earth has gone through temp and weather changes throughout it's history. If clean energy is your game that's wonderful. The world needs to get in China and India's arse then. They are the world's most corrupt Gov's as far as not using "clean energy." Until we become self reliant for energy this debt will never go away. Clean cars, solar panels, wind turbines aren't cheap and I for one don't have the funds to participate. If America was worried about consumption of fossil fuels, then why is "clean energy" so expensive? If right is "clean energy" then make it affordable.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
@GTNavyNuke That is one thing I think we can all agree on. It is better to use Solar power than fossil fuels. Yes it may be more expensive but still just on the elementary level it has to be better for society as a whole. Wind energy and solar are sitting around untapped for the most part.
I always wonder why it seemed solar panels were much cheaper to install and use in New England (where you can have cloud cover for weeks at a time) than in Florida or Georgia where you can have cloudless days for months at a time.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Do you guys not realize how inefficient solar and wind power are?? Throwing panels up in the house is great if you think it may offset your own power costs. But they are way too inefficient to be considered a viable alternative for providing power to the masses.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Do you guys not realize how inefficient solar and wind power are?? Throwing panels up in the house is great if you think it may offset your own power costs. But they are way too inefficient to be considered a viable alternative for providing power to the masses.

It depends on what your definition of inefficient is. Can you power your life using wind and solar with a very minimal impact to the world?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It depends on what your definition of inefficient is. Can you power your life using wind and solar with a very minimal impact to the world?

I'll try and keep it simple. What percentage of the power grid do you think wind and solar can contribute? More power to you if you can power your home and vehicles with both.

As to electric cars. Can be good alternative to traditional, with different benefits / drawbacks. But what do y'all think is powering that sucker that you plug into the wall? Same percentage of coal etc that powers the rest of your home.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Actually, scientists working for state universities (including Georgia Tech) were targeted/threatened by Democrats for disputing some of the more extreme claims on the climate. We had a thread on it.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This election season was by far the worst I have ever seen with distorted headlines, articles and blatant agendas (On both sides). I have gotten to where I have to see the original speaker, interview or document so the whole context can be understood.
My initial reaction is it is probably a slanted article and picking bits of facts to slant the article. until I can read the original memo in full I will lump it as a hit piece. But I could see where there could be some thruth to it and if so I would have some problems with it. But then again it depends how many additionas and changes have occurred to the deparment under the previous administration. I would like to see a little refocus on looking at it from a longer term perspective of history vs future prediction. i.e. real science vs what I feel is a bit of trying to fit an agenda to the data adjusted facts

I agree on the distorted headlines on both sides. I have GT alum friends at NASA Langley where some of the climate change research is done. They are in space research so are safe from this aspect. A former neighbor did climate research and studied the effect of plane contrails on cloud cover and the ozone hole. Not really political but we live in a different time now. Here's a link provided with some more information: http://arstechnica.com/science/2016...e-trump-team-list-of-climate-change-staffers/

Again chilling to me. The climate change funding will be cut which is the consequence of the election. Jobs will be lost here and hopefully some will be created elsewhere. But this is the Government, so entropy will only increase.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Our government bureaucracy is completely bloated. I don't support firing positions simply because individuals have an opposing belief. I also don't support my tax money going to pay the salary of a government wonk simply using his position to further political propoganda.

The bloated bureaucracy needs to be trimmed badly. But needs to be trimmed intelligently and not based on a ideological litmus tests. Hiring should be done similarly. I have no problem with these folks having to prove their worth for the positions they hold or funding they receive. If you can't bring value to a new agenda, take your value elsewhere. If it really has value it will find a home.