2015 or 2016?

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Do we have a better chance in 2015 or 2016 at winning the ACC and/or NC?
It seems like we will have more depth and experience on offense in 2016 but more experience on defense in 2015. To me, experience at defense is more important because under CPJ we always seem to have a productive offense. Even in our mediocre season 2 years ago, we still put up 35 ppg. With JT and our OL orchestrating the offense this year, I don't think the lack of gametime experience at other places will cause much of a dropoff in offensive production in 2015. The players at these skill positions seem to have played well throughout the spring and the young talent should help with depth. On the other side, our defense should be much more productive with a better pass rush and experience at pretty much every position. However, the 2016 schedule will likely be easier than 2015. All in all, I think 2015 is our year. What do you guys think?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I would say 2016 just because of the schedule. There is little margin for error this year and we have many young guys who are going to be getting playing time.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
@Gtech50 I think you hit on almost all the salient points. Losing Jabari and Adam after this year raises questions for our D. However, we will also lose Braun, Chamberlain and Joe from the OL. On the other hand, as you and others have mentioned our schedule this year is tough.

I think we have some talented guys to move up next year in most positions so I'm not overly worried in that area.

For me, (again, sorry) the biggest question is still D, for the reason you mentioned. Our O has not been bad under CPJ. If our D, and I think it will, steps up to top 3-4 in ACC Coastal in yds/play and pnts/drive D this year, then I think we should be competitive both years.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Doesn't always matter how good you are - some years you get some bounces and things work out.

One thing is for sure - we are in the conversation and will continue to be in the conversation for the next few years.

And like Bobby Ross said, get in the top 20 and stay there and sooner or later, everything will just line up.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Well if we were Clemson fans we wouldn't even be having this conversation. We all know they will win the acc and nc the next two seasons just ask any of their fans. From what I hear they are going to win it every year. The only reason they didn't last year was because of them darn refs and Watson being injured. :D

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
I think this year is as good as any if the defense turns out to be as improved as expected. Though the schedule is brutal, the team knows this and will therefore be preparing very hard. I am so happy the Jackets are "back in the mix."

thwgjacket

Well if we were Clemson fans we wouldn't even be having this conversation. We all know they will win the acc and nc the next two seasons just ask any of their fans. From what I hear they are going to win it every year. The only reason they didn't last year was because of them darn refs and Watson being injured. :D
Even though Watson got hurt when it was 3-0 in our game, they were "driving." Thus, had he stayed healthy, they would have beaten us 111-0...adding a late FG as time expired.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Me and my wife might be going, it's the weekend of our anniversary. Does anyone know of a good place to stay close to the stadium? Edit: Wrong thread sorry!

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this around here yet:

The Stones played at Grant Field on 11/21/1989. After that date GT won out in 1989.

So 2015 is the year.

/Thread

Last edited:

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Call me crazy, but I think the tough schedule this year plays in our favor in terms of winning the ACC and getting to a playoff. If we are destined to be a championship team, we will need to beat most teams regardless. If we do it against a tough line up, it will help us with the selection committee and get us prepped for the playoff level of competition. Win win.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
@Gtech50 I think you hit on almost all the salient points. Losing Jabari and Adam after this year raises questions for our D. However, we will also lose Braun, Chamberlain and Joe from the OL. On the other hand, as you and others have mentioned our schedule this year is tough.

I think we have some talented guys to move up next year in most positions so I'm not overly worried in that area.

For me, (again, sorry) the biggest question is still D, for the reason you mentioned. Our O has not been bad under CPJ. If our D, and I think it will, steps up to top 3-4 in ACC Coastal in yds/play and pnts/drive D this year, then I think we should be competitive both years.
not only the DTs but the whole DBs group maybe

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks we can realistically have a better season this fall than last year :)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Well, we have been known to use both crutches. Refs in general -- goodness, every team everywhere lays losses on the refs since that is easier than acknowledging their team came up short -- and when Nesbitt broke his arm against VT in '10, I think it was. The difference is that Clemson unabashedly sets its goal as the NC and figures if it gets that, then the ACC obviously falls to them in the process. Our goal is ACC first. Could be a matter of semantics, but Clemson is upfront about it. As long as they don't cheat, god bless 'em, and we just have to keep beating them. (And some people say this isn't a rivalry worth preserving.)