2015 GT draft picks

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Until Marshall best to where he reliably gets us 4 yards on 3rd and 3, he will not start at BB. I persist in thinking he'll end up at AB getting 15 carries a game, like Orwin. We'll be absolutely loaded at BB next year and all with players who run harder then Marshall. Besides, the other move would be Leggett to AB. This does not compute.

But, hey, it's early days for these decisions. Skov could develop into a great BB in another couple of games and we're ok there for the present. I'll be a bit of a wild hare here and say that our best BB might be running third string. Allen has looked like the genuine article when he has gotten a chance. Glad Coach has to make these decisions.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Until Marshall best to where he reliably gets us 4 yards on 3rd and 3, he will not start at BB. I persist in thinking he'll end up at AB getting 15 carries a game, like Orwin. We'll be absolutely loaded at BB next year and all with players who run harder then Marshall. Besides, the other move would be Leggett to AB. This does not compute.

Skov had 8 runs of less than 4 yards against ND, and another play where he ran the wrong way leading to a gain of less than 4 so spare me the consistently picking 4 yards argument. And Orwin never had 15 carries in any game much less with any regularity.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Shoot, as hard as he runs maybe he just doesn't want to see the collision. But seriously to the extent he does maybe that is the residue of spending four years not running the football?

I think it definitely is a combination of not frequently getting the ball, and when he did get it he did so in a "and short" situation where he was getting hit at the line.

I hope he figures it out that if he runs with his head up he may spot a crease to shoot through.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Skov had 8 runs of less than 4 yards against ND, and another play where he ran the wrong way leading to a gain of less than 4 so spare me the consistently picking 4 yards argument. And Orwin never had 15 carries in any game much less with any regularity.
Marshall had several carries against Alcorn where he didn't get the required yards. He did it a couple of times against Tulane also. Skov has delivered (when he runs in the right direction, that is). That's the problem. He also blocks better.

As for Orwin, you're right and wrong at the same time. Marshall has the potential to get that 10 yards a carry, even if he only carried as much as Orwin. I think he would need more carries, but that he could be just as effective a threat. But, like I say, that's up to Coach.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Marshall had several carries against Alcorn where he didn't get the required yards. He did it a couple of times against Tulane also. Skov has delivered (when he runs in the right direction, that is). That's the problem. He also blocks better.

Through the first 2 games Marshall had 4 carries under 4 yards. Skov had 6. Percentage wise that is 26.7% of the time for Marshall vs 26.1% for Skov. Try again.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Through the first 2 games Marshall had 4 carries under 4 yards. Skov had 6. Percentage wise that is 26.7% of the time for Marshall vs 26.1% for Skov. Try again.
Wasn't some of skovs right at the goal line though, where he couldn't get any more than 4 yards because it was a TD? J/w I don't remember marshall getting the ball at the goal line like skov.

elwoodgt

Jolly Good Fellow
I expect to see more Marshall this week. We'll see how he does. Having a home run threat at b-back can sure open things up outside.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't some of skovs right at the goal line though, where he couldn't get any more than 4 yards because it was a TD? J/w I don't remember marshall getting the ball at the goal line like skov.

I believe he's had 3 rushes at or inside. One was a TD, and the other two were for 0 yards. So on the TD obviously the 3 yards were what we needed and what he got. Same as Marshall's 3 yard run for a first down, although there wasn't the hard cap on the number of yards on Marshall's.

So far, not including the TD run, he's had 13 carries of 3 yards or less in 40 total carries, and another play where the team picked up only one yard at least in part because he ran the wrong way. He's bigger, stronger, and more physical than Marshall, but he has very similar % of plays resulting in less than 4 yards as Marshall. Simply put his lack of running back skills hinder his ability to best put to use his size and strength advantage.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Fullbacks are no longer a premium in the NFL, and it's a dying position. Teams think they can find fullbacks from undrafted free agents, or use H-back type Tight ends who can play multiple roles (thus provide value) rather than use a full time FB. Skov is probably a free agent at best.

FWIW, the guys who have been rated "draft prospects" by ESPN and CBS are Bryan Chamberlain, Trey Braun, Jamal Golden, Adam Gotsis, and DJ White.

Adam Gotsis and DJ White are the top candidates to get drafted.

Fwiw I think Skov can play H back also.

To those bashing Skov....smdh....that ignore button is getting mighty tempting of late. He has been at the position since fall practice started. That's it. Yet he has been one of our best play makers.

Glad I don't have to share a trench with those who are so quick to hit the panick button after one off game.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw I think Skov can play H back also.

To those bashing Skov....smdh....that ignore button is getting mighty tempting of late. He has been at the position since fall practice started. That's it. Yet he has been one of our best play makers.

Glad I don't have to share a trench with those who are so quick to hit the panick button after one off game.

Skov is fine. The people who are bashing him are probably the same people who had unrealistic expectations of him coming from Stanford. It didn't take a genius to know he wasn't going to bust loose for 100+ yards a game...he was a FB at Stanford, not a RB. If he was a top level runner, Stanford would have had him toting the ball not blocking for the guy toting the ball. Skov is exactly what I thought he would be...a guy with a mature body who would grind it out and get tough yards. He's added a dimension in the passing game, which most good full backs are known for.

Like I said in another thread, Skov will probably get better as the season progresses and he's use to the physicality and speed of the reads he needs to make at the position.