2014 uniforms

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Made not made myself clear...when you take unis and destroy the school colors which we have done with honeycomb and slashes and stripes and pee yellow tops etc I think you are messing with tradition.Now you need to look at tradition.From 1948-1965 Dodd unis changed only the numbers on the shoulders and once in 65 they wore the white helmets....Even Carson kept the unis one year before he changed the tops and even then the numbers were on the sleeves.Ross used the Dodd white ones as travel and so did Chan so for the time GOL was there and the Carson years the unis have been stable.Now the players..........wonder if Saban lets his players vote on what they will wear or maybe Les Miles or Meyer at OSU etc.the good schools or the more traditional powers have not fooled with unis as much as we have.Now if you as young guy want us to be the Oregon of the South then change is good ...we will let our golf coach pick out the uni of the day but when you mention"Up with the White and Gold" and sing it........wonder if we are singing about one song and then we look on the field and see something else.Compromise is easy.....Atlanta paper ran a survey and about 10000 folks liked tradition so lets use them (Dodd or Ross or GOL with the gold lettering )at home once or twice a season and the fuss should die out...We have been wearing the samew thing for years and why folks want to ham it up now is not acceptable to me..........but its only my take on it.Guess folks forgot couple of years ago Doggies used the Grambling unis and the Red Rover unis.........that went over badly.I am glad the unis this year are traditional so now in my old head I have idea who is on the field when I take a gander.Look my friend I served 38 years in the service and in three different branches and of the Navy and the Army only the Corps kept the tradition..In the Air National Gurad we had five different color combos in six years and that was awful.folks know you by what you wear but again that is just my take on
it............HWGA and up with the new unis.

I liked your reply and I agree with your general sentiment. I grew up loving the mustard pants, the white jerseys and the gold helmets. However, in all the years I have been watching Tech football, change has been a constant. When I was old enough to watch my first football games Dodd had the team in gold helmets, though I remember this more from photographs than actually remembering the games. The very next year, the years that I remember, the team went to white helmets which they remained until Dodd retired. Some of Tech's most famous players wore the white helmets including "The young lefthander," Kim King. Carson went back to the gold helmets and added the GT, though to be fair, I have read that Dodd approved this change before he retired. Carson later went back to the white helmets with an added GT to go along with mustard jerseys and white pants, a look that has been trotted out once or twice for vintage "throw back" games. Blue jerseys have been worn by almost every Tech team at some point in a coach's tenure since I have been alive. I also seem to notice that blue jerseys have shown up periodically from 1929 to 1957.

I know someone has already done this but it would be great to have the exact history on uniform changes and when they occurred. I have not seen mustard jerseys in quite some time but I hear they were regularly worn extensively during Alexander's coaching tenure. My own personal preferences would be the gold pants, gold helmets and white uniforms and logo of the Rodgers years, the Mustard jerseys with white pants and white helmets and logo of the Carson years and the blue jerseys, gold pants and gold helmets of the Ross years. Rotate those as appropriate and I would be happy.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I liked your reply and I agree with your general sentiment. I grew up loving the mustard pants, the white jerseys and the gold helmets. However, in all the years I have been watching Tech football, change has been a constant. When I was old enough to watch my first football games Dodd had the team in gold helmets, though I remember this more from photographs than actually remembering the games. The very next year, the years that I remember, the team went to white helmets which they remained until Dodd retired. Some of Tech's most famous players wore the white helmets including "The young lefthander," Kim King. Carson went back to the gold helmets and added the GT, though to be fair, I have read that Dodd approved this change before he retired. Carson later went back to the white helmets with an added GT to go along with mustard jerseys and white pants, a look that has been trotted out once or twice for vintage "throw back" games. Blue jerseys have been worn by almost every Tech team at some point in a coach's tenure since I have been alive. I also seem to notice that blue jerseys have shown up periodically from 1929 to 1957.

I know someone has already done this but it would be great to have the exact history on uniform changes and when they occurred. I have not seen mustard jerseys in quite some time but I hear they were regularly worn extensively during Alexander's coaching tenure. My own personal preferences would be the gold pants, gold helmets and white uniforms and logo of the Rodgers years, the Mustard jerseys with white pants and white helmets and logo of the Carson years and the blue jerseys, gold pants and gold helmets of the Ross years. Rotate those as appropriate and I would be happy.
I would have no problem with what you would like to see.If you go to the Atlanta Constitution and tech unis you see the general theme of numbers on the sleeves and old gold pants for many many years.Yep Pepper unis are okay and folks forget he also put a stripe down the middle during his tenure.Yep blue has been around long time............at one time I had a blue jersey that tech wore in the late fifties..not a bad looking one at all.Funny you mention mustard......Coach Dodd said he had hell of a time getting Coach Alex to get out of those hot mustard unis........Hope we wear traditional and hope you get your wish.........certainly goalong with your wish if I had the power.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Fwiw I prefer, and always have, gold helmet, white jersey, and gold pants. The fewer stripes and slashes the better. But there is no such thing as a traditional uni at Tech. Just differing unis by eras.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Fwiw I prefer, and always have, gold helmet, white jersey, and gold pants. The fewer stripes and slashes the better. But there is no such thing as a traditional uni at Tech. Just differing unis by eras.

There have been many variations and uniform tweaks (mainly colors) over the years, but, they always looked like 'football uniforms'. The Russell designs looked like roller ball / power ranger / marvel comic costumes.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
go back and look again...with exception of one yr with Carson the numbers have been on shoulders for over thirty years.with exception of Carson anchor PJ the pants HSVE been gold with stripes down the side....over thirty yrs......with exception of ncaa ruling and. Arson and Chan we have worn white over thirty yrs.....if you have gold pants and white tops with numbers on shoulders and gold hat that is traditional to me.Now we have under pepper wore white shoes and Chan used gold shirts with Dodd numbers and we have put vt on the hat and we wore white pants at times under Dodd' not much has changed....

Mack

Helluva Engineer
WELL IF YOU THINK OF TECH UNIS AND YOU SRE OVER 55 bet you think of DODD...if you are a PJ guy UOU have no idea what a traditional uni is since it changes yr by yr.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I think the uniforms have changed in some way every year since Bobby Ross was here. It's not a recent development.[/QUOT To each his own but look at every uni and some things have not changed until PJ.........Ross wore Dodd at away games and so did Chan..this uniform was all most exactly like the Dodd ones wore from 48 until 65.Look at number scheme.....color may be different but the numbers on the shoulders are the same pattern and so is gold hat..Now PJ .........well its a mess.......stripes and slashes,pee yellow,stingers down the side ...six unis in six years are too much for me.I do like the unis this year and wouldnt mind seeing a dark Ross uni from time to time.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
yes, indeed. Can't wait to start over analyzing the bits and pieces of gossip we get out of camp.
Well keep me posted on camp etc.........all I look for is finished product on the field.If we are not doing well at camp etc we will see what happens on the scoreboard and on the field....

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Well keep me posted on camp etc.........all I look for is finished product on the field.If we are not doing well at camp etc we will see what happens on the scoreboard and on the field....
My only hope for camp is to come out of it unscathed, especially on the DL.