2014 Playmaker of the Year

Playmaker of the Year

• Total voters

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
What this exercise tells me is that we had more play makers (difference makers on the field) than any year since 2009. Also tells me our 1-8 are better than any year since 2009. Back to exercise. JT-JT-JT.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
After pondering this, my goodness what a tough decision, I had to go with the road grader Shaq Mason! With the O line play and, Shaq's ability/leadership, the O would not have hummed like it did.

In all honesty, though, it truly goes to the TEAM as a whole!

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
An embarrassment of riches. Truly a team effort all season.

But if I have to choose one...Smelter. He was clutch for us so many times I started taking it for granted a little.

I was real close to choosing him. I think we'd have beaten FSU if he played. But DJ's plays in the VT and UGA games literally won the games. Smelter's catch on 4th down in the VT game was pretty huge too, but just judging by how much I celebrated from individual plays I have to go with DJ White

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
The reason I voted DJ is that the QB is in a position to make plays and it is expected . so are WR and backs. Yes the D guys are too, but they don't know what is coming while O guys are instructed what to do and if they execute should make a play. DJ made amazing plays that won, or turned around games all year.

Our D last year though porous made some great plays that brought about wins from the throes of defeat. I hope we have the same thing for 2015. I think we will if JHD is eligible and Whitehead, Kallon add strength with new Freshman, RS sophomores adding new contributions. Better pass rush will certainly help our secondary.

Lexjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
There's always a 'glass half empty' personality lurking; just waiting to pounce and demonstrate their 'realist' discouragement. No one ever said DJ was perfect, but the fact that his overall play making was superlative is evident to fans, teammates and coaches. mndojckt, I advise to go pee into wind.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Yea, I don't get it. We had the lead vs. UNC later in the game so not sure how D.J. lost that game for us based on that play alone, albeit an important one. Games - plural - means you think he was responsible for Duke or FSU. Really seems like a reckless comment.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Yea, I don't get it. We had the lead vs. UNC later in the game so not sure how D.J. lost that game for us based on that play alone, albeit an important one. Games - plural - means you think he was responsible for Duke or FSU. Really seems like a reckless comment.
It took a good throw, good catch to beat him, absolutely a reckless and erroneous comment. If the receiver was wide open it would still an uncalled for and undeserved comment.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Reckless indeed. JT had an off game against Duke that one could argue "lost" us that game but I would never say that since this is a team sport and no one can deny that JT was our most valuable player on offense overall.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
DJ also lost us games too...

Specifically lost that game - nah. The final score is reflective of the defensive breakdowns by both teams.

However, IMO it appears that DJ was looking for the INT rather than just playing the ball (or the man). Feast or famine depending on the outcome but in this case if DJ gets the INT, he has to run back the ball 36 yards just to get to where GT would have been on an incompletion. Like the mutts against Aubie in '13 - just bat that thing down.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Specifically lost that game - nah. The final score is reflective of the defensive breakdowns by both teams.

However, IMO it appears that DJ was looking for the INT rather than just playing the ball (or the man). Feast or famine depending on the outcome but in this case if DJ gets the INT, he has to run back the ball 36 yards just to get to where GT would have been on an incompletion. Like the mutts against Aubie in '13 - just bat that thing down.
I don't think so. I think he just got his head around late even though he had good position. He tried to recover by stripping the ball but couldn'd get a hand on it. Sometimes you just have to give props to good play by the opposition. It was a perfect throw and great play by the wr. We only gave the qb 2 seconds to get the ball off as we threw the house at him yet he still got off a perfect throw. Kudos to UNC on that one.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think so. I think he just got his head around late even though he had good position. He tried to recover by stripping the ball but couldn'd get a hand on it. Sometimes you just have to give props to good play by the opposition. It was a perfect throw and great play by the wr. We only gave the qb 2 seconds to get the ball off as we threw the house at him yet he still got off a perfect throw. Kudos to UNC on that one.
Definitely a perfect play by UNC.

The last replay in that clip appears to show DJ looking more for a missed catch. Only DJ knows exactly what he was thinking in that moment.

The larger point of course is that this play was mostly not on the radar for reasons of the UNC loss because there was so much in that game in the class of woulda-shoulda-couldas.

Hey, even if GT wins this game and beats Dook, with everything else being even GT finishes the season probably no better than 6th.