2014 ACC Coastal Champs

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
Let's rewind to the ESPN Grantland Prediction - http://grantland.com/features/2014-acc-college-football-preview-florida-state-clemson-miami/

Outlandish Prediction
Georgia Tech takes the Coastal Division with sheer triple-option bull****. The Coastal is setting up for another crab-bucket season, with all crabs equally weighted and pinchy, and when the swirling sand and bits of shell and innards settle, who stands astride that pile wielding a two-by-four? Paul Johnson. You can see it in your minds, can’t you? The future tastes like nails.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
The Coastal is setting up for another crab-bucket season, with all crabs equally weighted and pinchy, and when the swirling sand and bits of shell and innards settle, who stands astride that pile wielding a two-by-four? Paul Johnson. You can see it in your minds, can’t you? The future tastes like nails.
25tyf5u.jpg

Also, how did he know about the crab legs back then?

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Congrats to the Jackets and especially to the seniors on this year's team.

Definitely unexpected success. I am glad they believed (even when no one else did).

One more objective to check off, then on to Charlotte!

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
GT is third in most ACCCG appearances at 4. FSU and VT are tied for first at 5.

GT has more appearances than Clemson (2), Miami (0), UNC (0)...all teams who regularly out-recruit us. Now does anyone still want to argue GT can't consistently be a top 20 program?

it's pretty breathtaking to think what CPJ could do with a few top 20-25 recruiting classes!

MidtownJacket

Staff member
stop...
wait....
can't...
get...air/

haha no joke - it really would be sick to see some explosive talent on D.. but imho I think part of what made this team so strong was the chemistry.. it is harder to do that with a bunch of 5 star kids.

GT is third in most ACCCG appearances at 4. FSU and VT are tied for first at 5.

GT has more appearances than Clemson (2), Miami (0), UNC (0)...all teams who regularly out-recruit us. Now does anyone still want to argue GT can't consistently be a top 20 program?
The Holy Grail of a Miami/FSU match-up has never materialized, but instead has become a frequent FSU-Georgia Tech affair. Should help us recruit. Lots of FSU wannabees out there that will never get an offer from Tallahassee but might see something they like in white and gold.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Well never get a bunch of 5 star kids, consistent classes of all 3's plus a few 4's of the right kind of kids like the class we are about to sign in going to be huge in the hands of CPJ and Roof

heeled soul

Georgia Tech Fan
in terms of recruiting... almost all top schools benefit first and foremost from getting the best instate recruits.
my guess is that beating uga every year to generate more instate excitement will help even more than winning the coastal every year.

UNC's problem is the tennessees, socars, clemsons of the world taking NC's best. i think GT's problem is uga. you guys luckily have an opportunity every year to change the recruits' perspective.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
in terms of recruiting... almost all top schools benefit first and foremost from getting the best instate recruits.
my guess is that beating uga every year to generate more instate excitement will help even more than winning the coastal every year.

UNC's problem is the tennessees, socars, clemsons of the world taking NC's best. i think GT's problem is uga. you guys luckily have an opportunity every year to change the recruits' perspective.
All good points. But recruiting to GT is just another animal. The classes kids have to take in HS has to be accomplished before last minute. So it takes someone with atleast a little interest in coming here to begin with. Then getting their SAT scores high enough to qualify. Then last, but not least, we MUST keep their grades up. If not, we have a team full of ineligible players. I personally dont feel that its nearly impossible to get recruits to GT, It just takes a hell of alot of work to find the RIGHT kids. Weve just now got a recruiting staff in place. Couple that with a great young QB and winning more big games(including UGA) we should be improving in that dept. Over the next few years.

stevo0718

Georgia Tech Fan

Saying that it's just dwags taking the GA recruits is a huge understatement. The state of Georgia gets raided by dwags, Auburn, Bama, Clemson, Scar, Tennessee and FSU not to mention the rest of the SEC except for TAMU and blanderbilt. I think we want to improve instate recruiting to be in the mix for some of the best in state guys, while focusing on finding the best players who are good students nationally and going after them.

Go team!

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Saying that it's just dwags taking the GA recruits is a huge understatement. The state of Georgia gets raided by dwags, Auburn, Bama, Clemson, Scar, Tennessee and FSU not to mention the rest of the SEC except for TAMU and blanderbilt. I think we want to improve instate recruiting to be in the mix for some of the best in state guys, while focusing on finding the best players who are good students nationally and going after them.

Go team!
Don't forget Stanford and ND coming down here to get kids, too.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
GT has recruited some fine players, The talant on this team is outstanding and sets up well for next couple of years, I think Coach Johnson has done a good job getting talanted players to play for Tech. Don't get hung up on the rankings.
Solid Div 1/All Conf type players:
Shaq Mason
Adam Gotsis
DJ White
Jamal Golden
Chris Griffin
D Smelter
K Freeman
Freddie Burden
Justin Thomas
P.J. Davis
Q Neally
Laskey / S Days

Plus a lot of other players that have played good like Snoddy, E Joe, Milton, S Green

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.

Go team!
Yep.