2013 Signee Review - Travis Custis

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Signee - Travis Custis
Position - RB
Offers - Georgia Tech, Clemson, Miami, Mich St, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt
Committed - 4/02/12

Looking Back - Travis was the first commit of the 2013 class and held solid the whole time...Travis really blowed up his Senior season rushing for 2.058 yards and 35 TDs while leading his team to the state chmapionship game. Dj Shockley commented that Cusits was the best player he seen in 2012. schools were all over Custis the whole process Ole Miss, Vandy, Miami, Wisconsin, UNC, Nc State, etc, etc. Georgia also tried to flip him late but he did not listen...I have to tip my hat to Custis and his family as this was not a easy battle for Georgia Tech to win. I asked Travis about JuMichael Ramos (his teammate and former GT commit) and why he was looking at Nc State after he committed to GT...he commented that his own high schools coaches were in JuMichaels ear trying to get him to flip. Travis then told me that the coaches were doing the same thing to him...Travis added that he was lucky he had a good family and support system around him to keep him humble and his head on straight and to keep his eyes on the main goal..I asked what the goal was and he said the goal is plan B. He explained that plan A is football but what if football doesn't work out.then he has no where to turn. He said Plan B is education...he said with a degree from Georgia Tech there is no way plan B can fail. Great kid.

Looking Ahead - Georgia Tech has been looking for a star B-back ever since Dwyer and Allen left. Many people feel that Custis can be that guy...I agree. I think he is similar to a faster Anthony Allen. Travis is a power runner, but he also has a extra gear of speed. I look for the coaches to try and redshirt him this year with David Sims (Sr), Zach Laskey (Jr), Charles Perkins (Jr)..giving GT good depth. I think he will be competing for the starting job in 2014.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I wonder what schools these coaches were pushing Travis to attend and why. Do they feel Tech a certain why about Tech and why?
From what I understand the same thing happened to Damon Mitchell.

KevinSC

Georgia Tech Fan
I will never understand some of these high school coaches. If the kid likes where he commited and the parents like it then leave them alone. I am very excited Custis is coming and think he will be an exciting player. Who knows with Ramos we might have gotten lucky as he could turn out to be a head case like Greene, who had a ton of potentiol and looked to be the next big WR at GT at one time.
Really looking forward to seeing what some of the kids from this years and last years class bring to the Flats.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Given the issue w/NCAA Clearinghouse it's good to know he's going to still be a Jacket. As was pointed out he was most likely going to RS this year anyway so this will give him more time to learn his responsibilities on the field and time to be in the S&C program. His potential is huge!!!!

ybeenormal

Jolly Good Fellow
This might be a stupid question but how does this affect his eligibility? If he had to red shirt next year would he still be able to play 4 years? Anyways, glad its worked out even tho I wanted to see him this year as a true freshman

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
This might be a stupid question but how does this affect his eligibility? If he had to red shirt next year would he still be able to play 4 years? Anyways, glad its worked out even tho I wanted to see him this year as a true freshman

I think he will have his full eligibility including a RS season if needed. From the way the release reads his formal enrollment will commence in January instead of August.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Quote from Ken's ajc piece: "“Travis is taking care of some academic issues, (NCAA) Clearinghouse issues, and we expect him back in January,” Johnson said following the team’s Saturday morning scrimmage."

This says that there are 1. academic issues, which I guess keeps him out of school, and 2. Clearinghouse issues which keep him off the team. If it was just Clearinghouse issues he could be enrolled in school. The OL kid at UGA was waiting on Clearinghouse approval for over 2 years.

Someone please check me on this.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
This quote from ramblinwreck's write up says it is Clearinghouse only:
""Travis is going to be taking care of some academic clearinghouse issues, and we expect him to join us in January." "

Is he still in school?

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Eric/PSJacket-
How confident are we that Custis will return to GT in Jan. 2014? I assume that he is no longer on scholarship or obligated to GT by his LOI? I am very hopeful that we get him back....considering how much he values a degree from GT (Plan B). Not to mention his repore with his other teammates/coaching staff. We beat all the others out before...I pray we can hold on to him again. What are the coaches feelings about the % chance that he will return. What type of limitations does GT face as far as contacting him during his absence? I assume that he has to move off campus and not room with anyone who is currently on the football team? How long does he have before he has to leave campus? How is he handling this? What are his parents thoughts? How are other players reacting? Who is responsible for this oversight GT/his former high school? Will you be conducting a interview with Custis about this or his plans for the future (Jan)? Will/Can he enroll in a JC/Prep school for a semester or just work out on his own since he took those extra classes this summer?

Last edited:

Bigb

Jolly Good Fellow
This quote from ramblinwreck's write up says it is Clearinghouse only:
""Travis is going to be taking care of some academic clearinghouse issues, and we expect him to join us in January." "

Is he still in school?

No. That's where the "enrolling in January" comes in.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
ramblin_opinions about some of the questions listed below?ost: 7238 said:
Eric/PSJacket-
How confident are we that Custis will return to GT in Jan. 2014? I assume that he is no longer on scholarship or obligated to GT by his LOI? I am very hopeful that we get him back....considering how much he values a degree from GT (Plan B). Not to mention his repore with his other teammates/coaching staff. We beat all the others out before...I pray we can hold on to him again. What are the coaches feelings about the % chance that he will return. What type of limitations does GT face as far as contacting him during his absence? I assume that he has to move off campus and not room with anyone who is currently on the football team? How long does he have before he has to leave campus? How is he handling this? What are his parents thoughts? How are other players reacting? Who is responsible for this oversight GT/his former high school? Will you be conducting a interview with Custis about this or his plans for the future (Jan)? Will/Can he enroll in a JC/Prep school for a semester or just work out on his own since he took those extra classes this summer?
Anyone got some guesses/answers to these questions?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Eric/PSJacket-

There is no way for us to know all of these answers.

He is no longer at GT and has already moved off of campus...The coaches feel good that we will get him back. He doesn't like to talk a lot so I can assure you he won't do a interview. Like I stated before this situation is a weird one and one nobody including myself is going to understand until it is over with. Basically to sum it up Custis is no longer at Tech but the coaches think things will be settled and ready to go by January.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Thanks Eric...I was just curious not trying to beat a dead horse. Just trying to generate some thoughts/conversation about a unique situation. No offense intended to anyone.