2010, 2013, 2015 ... QB mentality?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Okay, so I'm going to be controversial here. Yet, my purpose is to start a discussion not name-calling. Here's a table showing our offensive efficiency during the CPJ era. It's based on my calculated points/drive against power 5 (BCS AQ) opponents and the rank of that output during that year.

upload_2015-11-2_14-28-36.png
* 2015 is for only 9 weeks of games, 6 Pwr5 opponents​

As you can see, we are having our worst performance in the CPJ era. If you take-out (and I think you should) the 2008 first year, we are most comparable to 2010 and 2013.

I suggest that these three years share a common factor: the QB getting stuck in his own head. I know it is somewhat speculative, but here's my reasoning:
2010: Nesbitt for Heisman campaign begins while offense loses BayBay and Diesel. Joshua may have felt the pressure to do it all himself or may have wanted to. When things get rough, JN seems to trust himself more than his supporting cast. Or perhaps, the lack of experience at B-back and WR disclose the weakness of the QB hidden by the playmaking by those positions the previous year.

2013: Vad takes over with a lot of fanfare and fan unfair expectation. When things get rough, Vad seems to trust himself more than the system.

2015: JT leads a team without the 2014 supporting cast. When things get rough, JT seems to trust himself more than the supporting cast. Or perhaps, the lack of experience at B-back and WR disclose the weakness of the QB hidden by the play-making by those positions the previous year.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
Interesting...to add to that, without key weapons at A-back, B-back and/or WR, defenses can push harder on the QB pushing further the "in his head" issues we've seen.

jd1985

Georgia Tech Fan
What does that have to do with anything absolutely nothing any quarterback has to have a supporting cast skill players offensive line wide receivers backs

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
What does that have to do with anything absolutely nothing any quarterback has to have a supporting cast skill players offensive line wide receivers backs

I think that he's suggesting that the Notre Dame game was the first time JT saw real external pressure since the Miss St game, which may have affected his ability to react to it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Okay, so I'm going to be controversial here. Yet, my purpose is to start a discussion not name-calling. Here's a table showing our offensive efficiency during the CPJ era. It's based on my calculated points/drive against power 5 (BCS AQ) opponents and the rank of that output during that year.

As you can see, we are having our worst performance in the CPJ era. If you take-out (and I think you should) the 2008 first year, we are most comparable to 2010 and 2013.

I suggest that these three years share a common factor: the QB getting stuck in his own head. I know it is somewhat speculative, but here's my reasoning:
2010: Nesbitt for Heisman campaign begins while offense loses BayBay and Diesel. Joshua may have felt the pressure to do it all himself or may have wanted to. When things get rough, JN seems to trust himself more than his supporting cast. Or perhaps, the lack of experience at B-back and WR disclose the weakness of the QB hidden by the playmaking by those positions the previous year.

2013: Vad takes over with a lot of fanfare and fan unfair expectation. When things get rough, Vad seems to trust himself more than the system.

2015: JT leads a team without the 2014 supporting cast. When things get rough, JT seems to trust himself more than the supporting cast. Or perhaps, the lack of experience at B-back and WR disclose the weakness of the QB hidden by the play-making by those positions the previous year.

Thanks for putting that info together.

Hope this recruiting class and next one can mature early on offense and defense. With the fog of new guys, blocking issues, conservative play calling, injuries; its hard to tell if we have underclassmen any real difference makers like 2009. No super talent since then mafe it tough unless all play ers doing assignments perfectly. Hard for nesbit, vad or justin without a star to help

alagold

Helluva Engineer
You forgot OL, we are worse there as well.
good point Cheese,
this was the best class ON PAPER as far as Oline ability, they just didn't adjust and play like it---also I think most DEf coaches saw what happens when you sit back and allow us to dictate pace--so as ALWAYS--if they can control the WRs they can bring pressure that the new backs can't handle --at one point vs uva I saw ALL def 11 guys within 6 yds of LOS--difficult to deal with that if there is not a easy counter

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
hindsight is 20/20. There were some good reasons for giving Backups lots of reps in the spring game. Also, was JT a bit banged up then?

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
good point Cheese,
this was the best class ON PAPER as far as Oline ability, they just didn't adjust and play like it---also I think most DEf coaches saw what happens when you sit back and allow us to dictate pace--so as ALWAYS--if they can control the WRs they can bring pressure that the new backs can't handle --at one point vs uva I saw ALL def 11 guys within 6 yds of LOS--difficult to deal with that if there is not a easy counter
I don't know all the technical aspects that many posters on this site do, but the old adage "take what the defense gives you" must have some application with our personel and play calling...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
In all fairness to the OL, it was much easier for them to do their jobs last year when defenses had to respect the abilities of the skill players. Now they don't and they're maximize resources/tactics at the LOS, overwhelming our OL. If that's not bad enough, realize we're now playing without the best RG in the history of CPJ's tenure at GT.

An interesting hypothesis, but I don't buy it. We pay millions of dollars to a staff to be inside each and every player's head to avoid what you are suggesting. Sports psychology is a big deal. Whole programs don't devolve like ours just did because one player goes nut-bar.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
I think its just the brutal schedule. Also, I think Wes said on the telecast we have only won 4 times in Charlottesville in Tech history?? That is nuts.

It's just one of those years....

THWG

cmathis

Jolly Good Fellow
I think its just the brutal schedule. Also, I think Wes said on the telecast we have only won 4 times in Charlottesville in Tech history?? That is nuts.

THWG

This brutal schedule has been a test to see if we're really a serious threat, and we've failed miserably. If we want to be taken seriously, we have to win regardless of the schedule. The schedule is no excuse for how bad we've played.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

THWG

Good Lord, can we just end the uva series asap please!