2 Yards vs. -2 Yards

Declinometer

Banned
You keep saying that Justin has been taking a beating. I truly don't remember a lot of big hits on Justin. I haven't seen where he has been beat up.
I repeat, keeping Thomas out of most of the full contact drills preseason was a mistake. I even recall CPJ saying in previous years that his QBs practice full because eventually they will be hit in the games.

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
You keep saying that Justin has been taking a beating. I truly don't remember a lot of big hits on Justin. I haven't seen where he has been beat up.
I repeat, keeping Thomas out of most of the full contact drills preseason was a mistake. I even recall CPJ saying in previous years that his QBs practice full because eventually they will be hit in the games.
Truthfully, there have been a number of times this year where JT has been swarmed, but those are usually cases where blocks were clearly missed or someone is blitzing and not picked up. When I say JT is being timid, I mean when it's a 2 on 2 and he pitches to the AB too quickly making it a 2 on 1 and JT watches the AB get mauled in front of him. One of those defenders should be made to commit to the QB (and he probably should not risk the pitch and keep it). I agree the MLB has complicated things and it means a lot more punishment for JT, but there have been way too many -2 plays (or plays where JT runs laterally out of bounds for no gain) that could have been +2 or +3 plays if JT pushes hard, finds daylight and gets what he can. I also know it's sometimes easier to see these things from the stands and I feel for JT. The OL is just not helping him out.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Not totally in agreement that qb is timid this year . It seems to me these fast well coached teams lb etc are making their reads based on blocks and are racing to the next point of decesion for qb and ab. It often looks like the lb is daring qb to get closer for pitch and he will try to knock down but still maintain SOME position to slow the qb down. Qb sees this and is having to pitch early .
If the o line can make some pancake block so qb can cut up field there will big gains because the safteys are flooding to the pitch read. Dont see us going around end .
Hope the qb cut upfield happens.
It's simple, if the defender is "slow playing" the pitch, there must be a gap inside that defender. The qb has to aggressively attack that gap. If the defender takes him, he pitches. If the Aback is in the right place at the right time, there's no way the defender can come off the qb in time to tackle the Aback.

I think this spacing/timing relationship has been a problem and it's why JT is hesitant to attack the inside gap. He needs to just do it and take what's given. If the Aback is in the wrong spot, it's on him.

Declinometer

Banned
Truthfully, there have been a number of times this year where JT has been swarmed, but those are usually cases where blocks were clearly missed or someone is blitzing and not picked up. When I say JT is being timid, I mean when it's a 2 on 2 and he pitches to the AB too quickly making it a 2 on 1 and JT watches the AB get mauled in front of him. One of those defenders should be made to commit to the QB (and he probably should not risk the pitch and keep it). I agree the MLB has complicated things and it means a lot more punishment for JT, but there have been way too many -2 plays (or plays where JT runs laterally out of bounds for no gain) that could have been +2 or +3 plays if JT pushes hard, finds daylight and gets what he can. I also know it's sometimes easier to see these things from the stands and I feel for JT. The OL is just not helping him out.
I don't disagree with this at all. My post was basically reponding to Navy

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
It's simple, if the defender is "slow playing" the pitch, there must be a gap inside that defender. The qb has to aggressively attack that gap. If the defender takes him, he pitches. If the Aback is in the right place at the right time, there's no way the defender can come off the qb in time to tackle the Aback.

I think this spacing/timing relationship has been a problem and it's why JT is hesitant to attack the inside gap. He needs to just do it and take what's given. If the Aback is in the wrong spot, it's on him.

I agree with you on those plays where we get a block on the MLB, but it lots of instances that MLB is unblocked and is running full speed up JT's back before he can option the pitch guy. Watch #1 on the Clemson D on several plays getting to JT so early there is no way for him to attack the pitch guy. We have got to stop the MLB or the TO will not work.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you on those plays where we get a block on the MLB, but it lots of instances that MLB is unblocked and is running full speed up JT's back before he can option the pitch guy. Watch #1 on the Clemson D on several plays getting to JT so early there is no way for him to attack the pitch guy. We have got to stop the MLB or the TO will not work.
I agree, but I still think he needs to attack what little space exists to the inside of the pitch key. If the the pitch key stays outside, he just needs to eat it and take the lick from the MLB and get a yard. At least that's better than a -2 and he's not compounding the mistakes on the play.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
On some plays this seems to be the problem: Prior to snap the DE and OLB are ID as the option keys. DE takes the BB as expected but the MLB (or someone else) quickly shows up to take the QB and the OLB slides outside to take the AB pitch guy , leaving JT to pitch too early or eat the ball, and either is a loss. I think we are seeing both results because our blocking is breaking down on that MLB or too many in the box to block.

It also seems defenses are recognizing playside quicker and getting more people in pursuit quicker as well as defeating blocks better. It may all come back to not enough respect for the BB dive or the pass.
My impression is that Thomas is making his pitch decisions much sooner and the optioned defender is still in position to take the pitch man. Of course that is when the O line gives him a chance to make a decision.