2 Thursday night home games in 2015???

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
This better not be true. I would rather play anyone on the schedule other than Virginia Tech at home on a Thursday night. Since Virginia Tech joined the ACC in 2004, we have played them at home on a Saturday only once!!!! And we won the ACC that season, 2009! We have played them at home on Thursday in 04, 07, 11, 13. The only other time we played them at home on a Saturday was 1990, when we also won the ACC! I want them on Saturday in 2015.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
The scheduling will show you whether our new AD has any balls/influence or not. We just finished the season in the Top 10, and ended up in a way that our Conference had TWO teams in big payday Bowls instead of one (if we would have beaten FSU, then we would have gone to the Orange, anyway, and they would have been shut out of the Playoffs); WE beat TWO SEC teams (including one in the Orange Bowl that had been ranked #1 in the Country for 5 Weeks).

If there was a time our AD SHOULD have had some "juice" to get a "favorable" schedule it would be the one coming up for 2015.

xenoabe

Jolly Good Fellow
The scheduling will show you whether our new AD has any balls/influence or not. We just finished the season in the Top 10, and ended up in a way that our Conference had TWO teams in big payday Bowls instead of one (if we would have beaten FSU, then we would have gone to the Orange, anyway, and they would have been shut out of the Playoffs); WE beat TWO SEC teams (including one in the Orange Bowl that had been ranked #1 in the Country for 5 Weeks).

If there was a time our AD SHOULD have had some "juice" to get a "favorable" schedule it would be the one coming up for 2015.
Not really. Outside of some requests and a little bit of OOC scheduling (that happened before him) it's completely out of his hands.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
Not really. Outside of some requests and a little bit of OOC scheduling (that happened before him) it's completely out of his hands.

And I suppose it's been a "happenstance" all these years that UNC and the other teams got all their "lucky breaks" (weeks off) before they just "happened" to play us all these past years? ;)

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
The ACC is catering to ESPN. They love the VT vs GT night games.
Ugh....and I personally can't stand them. We typically seem to get the VT Thursday night game on short rest following a tough opponent. The Labor Day game a few years ago didn't bug me so much, but I'm not a fan of the Thursday games.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Ugh....and I personally can't stand them. We typically seem to get the VT Thursday night game on short rest following a tough opponent. The Labor Day game a few years ago didn't bug me so much, but I'm not a fan of the Thursday games.

Swofford the AD everyone bows to ESPN. The Orange Bowl just made GT more marketable too.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
That's Swofford level garbage, not on our AD.

And who do you think Swofford caters to, my friend? Do you think he just pulls schedules out of a hat and "poof," they fall into an order that, somehow, magically, put the Carolina teams in such a great light? No, their AD's have influence over him and OURS DOESN'T.

GTOXAN2K11

Georgia Tech Fan
The ACC schedule hasn't been released yet, and the ACC keeps that info on lockdown. So this is all speculation.

However, I wouldn't put it past them to give us a Thursday night game.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
And who do you think Swofford caters to, my friend? Do you think he just pulls schedules out of a hat and "poof," they fall into an order that, somehow, magically, put the Carolina teams in such a great light? No, their AD's have influence over him and OURS DOESN'T.

Might have more to do with the fact that he was born in north Carolina, grew up in north Carolina, went to school at UNC, and was the AD at UNC making him a homer than it does with AD's influence over him. Of course, that's only if you believe all of the swofford hates GT conspiracy theories.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
From a GTAA scheduling FAQ last summer:

In addition, a good portion of our fan base asked us to take a break from Thursday games. We listened and asked the ACC to take a one-year hiatus. We do not want to end our participation in Thursday night games altogether because there are some real positives to playing in that slot, including the tremendous coverage and exposure ESPN provides.

The current ACC deal with ESPN includes a Labor Day game, five Thursday night games and three Friday night games. We will certainly look to be part of these unique (non-Saturday) game days in the future.

That's pretty clear that asking out of Thursday night was a one-time request, so that debunks those who think ACC is screwing us. From what's been reported, each school submits several requests each year regarding the schedule. A few years ago, GT (under DRad) asked to switch the Clemson series. Last year, they didn't want a Thursday night home game. Not sure what the requests were for 2015, but seems like we have gotten what we have asked in recent years.

If you're ESPN, why not pick GT for a Thursday night game? It's a team that got lots of positive attention last season, plus pulled in some strong TV ratings. Plus, I'm sure ATL is a lot easier for their crews to get to (and get out of) mid-week than places like Blacksburg, Clemson, Charlottesville, etc.

Honestly, I think Thursday night games are always a great atmosphere at Bobby Dodd. Student turnout tends to be good, and there's a good buzz in the city. I'd take a Thurs night game over early Sat kickoff every time.

Animal02

Banned
From a GTAA scheduling FAQ last summer:

In addition, a good portion of our fan base asked us to take a break from Thursday games. We listened and asked the ACC to take a one-year hiatus. We do not want to end our participation in Thursday night games altogether because there are some real positives to playing in that slot, including the tremendous coverage and exposure ESPN provides.

The current ACC deal with ESPN includes a Labor Day game, five Thursday night games and three Friday night games. We will certainly look to be part of these unique (non-Saturday) game days in the future.

That's pretty clear that asking out of Thursday night was a one-time request, so that debunks those who think ACC is screwing us. From what's been reported, each school submits several requests each year regarding the schedule. A few years ago, GT (under DRad) asked to switch the Clemson series. Last year, they didn't want a Thursday night home game. Not sure what the requests were for 2015, but seems like we have gotten what we have asked in recent years.

If you're ESPN, why not pick GT for a Thursday night game? It's a team that got lots of positive attention last season, plus pulled in some strong TV ratings. Plus, I'm sure ATL is a lot easier for their crews to get to (and get out of) mid-week than places like Blacksburg, Clemson, Charlottesville, etc.

Honestly, I think Thursday night games are always a great atmosphere at Bobby Dodd. Student turnout tends to be good, and there's a good buzz in the city. I'd take a Thurs night game over early Sat kickoff every time.

It is not that the Thursday night game in itself screws Tech....(though I think it is a bad idea and it screws the fans that attend the games) ...it is how it (all all games) fit into the schedule.........3 games in 11 days, opposing teams with bye weeks preceding our game, back to back long road trips, front loading or back loading the schedule...heck even the "permanent cross over" is a screw you to Clemp, UM, FSU and Tech ....wouldn't it be nice to have WF or NSU on the schedule every year.?