2 More Years Probation?

Henrymcg

Georgia Tech Fan
Today I have a big black hole in my heart where happiness should be. So let's get our sht together and let's go.

Georgia Tech on 3.

GT!!

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Just thinking out loud here. I wonder if Tech or the ACC or both might just say the hell with the NCAA and when the punishment is announced just take it on over to the U.S. District Court and seek a TRO prohibiting the NCAA from enforcing any penalty, then just go ahead, file suit for restraint of trade, etc. Then let's see if the NCAA has the cojones to walk into another Federal court.

Given their track record lately I don't think they want another, VERY PUBLIC, fight on their hands. With all the crap the NCAA has turned a blind eye to (and I know I don't have to detail that here) it would not surprise me in the least for the NCAA to back down real quick. After the debacle with Tech's ACC Championship I have no patience for the sanctimonious BS the NCAA shovels on a daily basis!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Maybe a reason why he high tailed it out of GT? The Todd Spencer stuff was turned in under DRad's watch, so he must have known it was coming down the pipeline.

People keep saying he's Clemson's problem now need to remember he "learned on the job" at GT, and now we're the one's holding the bag. DRad's problems are still our problem unfortunately. GT was where he practiced "Learn from other's mistakes" and "Avoid the same mistakes twice." He's taking lessons learned to Clemson.

I'm pretty sure he CTS was fired for it.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
Look on the bright side...Now we have "Street Cred"
We dont meed street cred. We need street smarts... If that were the case, we wouldnt get caught with our pants down so often. Use an intermidiary when breaking the rules, like every other school does. I think we should push back just like the factory schools do... Thats the only way to avoid punishment. Threats work when you are in the NCAAs shoes right now. They oughtta be kissing our feet right now for allowing them to stay in charge at all.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
This is pretty frustrating.. I am all about paying the price for infractions, and frankly am generally all for enforcing rules (even when I disagree with the rule itself) but HOW in the WORLD are we getting dinged for small stuff when all the other stuff going on is just ignored?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For some reason, I think that we will be out from under the NCAA within two years in D1 football. Along with the other super conferences. And I could care less when that bureaucracy loses football and basketball.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
For some reason, I think that we will be out from under the NCAA within two years in D1 football. Along with the other super conferences. And I could care less when that bureaucracy loses football and basketball.

While thinking about this it did come to mind this may be one of, if not the first, catalyst for that exact thing to happen!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Hey guys, the two year probation is SELF IMPOSED. GT did it to herself after the NCAA found fault.

"The school also self-imposed two years of additional probation following the four-year probation it received after the NCAA’s investigation into the improper benefits received by a former football player, Demaryius Thomas."

I'm not sure who to be more pissed at here.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/ncaa-investigation-cites-tech-for-failure-to-monit/ng7QD/
How is uncovering the situation and then firing the coach who broke the rules considered "not monitoring the coaches"?

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
This might be the most perfectly succinct statement I've read this year.

The fact that so called GT fans agree with this statement is sad. I was recently on the GT campus and the Clemson campus within 24 hours. Clemson has NOTHING and I mean NOTHING over GT. The fact that some supposed GT fans agree that Radakovich going to Clemson is quote "falling up" is just disgusting. They are the same people who believe we can't recruit better than Clemson, which is also absurd. People who think that are not real GT fans.

I am tired of mediocrity embracing excuse makers. GT stands for excellence. If you don't believe it, step to the rear. GT can compete with anyone in any field GT chooses to compete in. We need to quit embracing those who believe otherwise. Homer Rice believed we could compete at a high level, and we did. Dave Braine, the complete idiot, didn't believe it, and we didn't.

It's time to demand excellence.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The fact that so called GT fans agree with this statement is sad. I was recently on the GT campus and the Clemson campus within 24 hours. Clemson has NOTHING and I mean NOTHING over GT. The fact that some supposed GT fans agree that Radakovich going to Clemson is quote "falling up" is just disgusting. They are the same people who believe we can't recruit better than Clemson, which is also absurd. People who think that are not real GT fans.

I am tired of mediocrity embracing excuse makers. GT stands for excellence. If you don't believe it, step to the rear. GT can compete with anyone in any field GT chooses to compete in. We need to quit embracing those who believe otherwise. Homer Rice believed we could compete at a high level, and we did. Dave Braine, the complete idiot, didn't believe it, and we didn't.

Lighten-up Grendel. They're probably just talking about salary and budget.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Braine was an idiot? Sure, I can agree with that. What did DRad do to turn around the idiocy and did you "demand excellence" while he was here?

I certainly agree that we should compete with Clemson on many levels and certainly exceed them on multiple fronts, but I interpret the "falling up" statement as him moving on to a situation with more resources and fewer barriers for achieving athletic objectives. He did so after building several great facilities (by tacking on plenty of debt), presiding over the downfall of the hoops program because he treated it like some sort of stepchild, and failing to fundraise the cost of buyouts for poorly performing coaches leaving us with an apathetic fanbase and uncompetitive financial position.

Helped create a mess and moved on to greener pastures... sounds like falling up to me.

As much of a disappointment & embarassment as this is to be on probation for longer, we're paying the price now for the actions under DRad's time in charge. "We" includes the fans, alumni, student-athletes, coaches, and CURRENT administrative staff. Not DRad.

I'm all for demanding excellence. Are you ready to have the patience for the new administration to implement a plan to achieve that goal?

I'll stand with you to demand excellence, if you've got the patience for it to arrive.

70Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
How does terminating a coach and self reporting a violation trigger an investigation into basketball? WTF- there is more to this mess and we will probably never know the truth! DRad and his leadership has resulted him pocketing a nice pile of cash and GT swimming in his sh&$ !!!

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
We had to do the 2 years self imposed. Having MBob in this case helps. He has worked for the NCAA and was chairman of basketball committee. I expect the NCAA will except this and do nothing more.