1992: The best Tech - Georgia stunt ever

A friend of mine in Augusta found this link recently and sent it to me. It is an hilarious video of one of the best Tech stunts ever. It's almost 10 minutes long, but you don't need to watch the entire thing; a couple of minutes should suffice. If you can't tell exactly what is going on, at the 1992 game in Athens, the Tech band covered the Georgia logo in the middle of the field with a tarp on which the Tech logo was painted. As soon as they do it, the stadium erupts in boos, and the boos don't stop till the Tech band leaves the field. You can barely even hear the Tech band because of the volume of the boos. I was there and laughed my head off the entire 10 minutes. The mutts accused Tech of "defacing" their field.....LOL This came a year or so after their fans deflated the inflated Buzz that used to stand in the south end zone at Grant Field. Now THAT was defacing, and yet they get riled up over a logo that was put in place and then removed, with no harm done. Georgia fans are such piss-ants.....LOL
Anyway, here's the link -----
Georgia Tech vs Georgia 1992 Halftime Show "The Tarp Incident"

Speaking of stunts, has anyone heard what has happened to the student who hacked the Georgia events calendar website this Fall. I haven't heard anything more about that lately.

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
Yes, that was one of the greatest moments I've ever witnessed at a GT football game... The game was forgettable, but that stunt was absolutely priceless... You simply cannot imagine the volume of the boos coming down from 80,000+ pissed off dwag fans... Was 28 years old, there with my buddy and my folks... Great memory...

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Speaking of stunts, has anyone heard what has happened to the student who hacked the Georgia events calendar website this Fall. I haven't heard anything more about that lately.

Well, his legal team is well funded, and he's got a guaranteed job with any of a dozen different GT alumni companies.

Seriously, the IEEE was going to throw him a fundraiser, but his gofundme was already full. Go Tech Alumni for keeping our traditions alive!

Well, his legal team is well funded, and he's got a guaranteed job with any of a dozen different GT alumni companies.

Seriously, the IEEE was going to throw him a fundraiser, but his gofundme was already full. Go Tech Alumni for keeping our traditions alive!

Thanks. That's great news, although I actually would have thought that the whole thing would have been dropped by now. It really does seem frivolous to me.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks. That's great news, although I actually would have thought that the whole thing would have been dropped by now. It really does seem frivolous to me.
Scuttlebutt is that the legal minds working on his defense think the prosecutor is going to offer a pretty good plea deal because the same Georgia homers who couldn't take a college prank also really, really don't want a court record of just how incompetently they'd been running their IT security. I guess we'll see.

I mean, seriously. ECE freshman hacked your calendar in his free time, in between passing his freshman math/science load. Not a grad student, not one of our capture the flag teams, a freshman.

If I were UGA's president or on the Board of Regents, I'd want this to go away as quickly and quietly as possible, before people started to notice my lack of competence.

Scuttlebutt is that the legal minds working on his defense think the prosecutor is going to offer a pretty good plea deal because the same Georgia homers who couldn't take a college prank also really, really don't want a court record of just how incompetently they'd been running their IT security. I guess we'll see.

I mean, seriously. ECE freshman hacked your calendar in his free time, in between passing his freshman math/science load. Not a grad student, not one of our capture the flag teams, a freshman.

If I were UGA's president or on the Board of Regents, I'd want this to go away as quickly and quietly as possible, before people started to notice my lack of competence.

Totally agree, and that's why I'm surprised the case hasn't already been dropped or thrown out. Total waste of taxpayer money !!!

GlennW

Helluva Engineer

Perhaps the FBI will offer him a job and clear his record at the same time. I hear they're looking for good hackers...

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
A friend of mine in Augusta found this link recently and sent it to me. It is an hilarious video of one of the best Tech stunts ever. It's almost 10 minutes long, but you don't need to watch the entire thing; a couple of minutes should suffice. If you can't tell exactly what is going on, at the 1992 game in Athens, the Tech band covered the Georgia logo in the middle of the field with a tarp on which the Tech logo was painted. As soon as they do it, the stadium erupts in boos, and the boos don't stop till the Tech band leaves the field. You can barely even hear the Tech band because of the volume of the boos. I was there and laughed my head off the entire 10 minutes. The mutts accused Tech of "defacing" their field.....LOL This came a year or so after their fans deflated the inflated Buzz that used to stand in the south end zone at Grant Field. Now THAT was defacing, and yet they get riled up over a logo that was put in place and then removed, with no harm done. Georgia fans are such piss-ants.....LOL
Anyway, here's the link -----
Georgia Tech vs Georgia 1992 Halftime Show "The Tarp Incident"

For some of you confused by the subtitles at the start of the video, let me explain. It was recorded with something called a camcorder. That's like a smart phone but records the video on analog magnetic tape rather than digitally, and that's pretty much all it does. The squareness of the video results from the fact that the video was recorded to be played back on square cathode ray tube monitors. I'm guessing the initial title screen was created on the camcorder and the "video calibration" message arose as an artifact of duplicating the tape on a video tape recorder (VCR). Video tapes were like Blue-Ray disks or DVDs except also analogue magnetic tapes.

- middle aged man laying down the knowledge for the next generation

For some of you confused by the subtitles at the start of the video, let me explain. It was recorded with something called a camcorder. That's like a smart phone but records the video on analog magnetic tape rather than digitally, and that's pretty much all it does. The squareness of the video results from the fact that the video was recorded to be played back on square cathode ray tube monitors. I'm guessing the initial title screen was created on the camcorder and the "video calibration" message arose as an artifact of duplicating the tape on a video tape recorder (VCR). Video tapes were like Blue-Ray disks or DVDs except also analogue magnetic tapes.

- middle aged man laying down the knowledge for the next generation
You're showing your age. LOL

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
A friend of mine in Augusta found this link recently and sent it to me. It is an hilarious video of one of the best Tech stunts ever. It's almost 10 minutes long, but you don't need to watch the entire thing; a couple of minutes should suffice. If you can't tell exactly what is going on, at the 1992 game in Athens, the Tech band covered the Georgia logo in the middle of the field with a tarp on which the Tech logo was painted. As soon as they do it, the stadium erupts in boos, and the boos don't stop till the Tech band leaves the field. You can barely even hear the Tech band because of the volume of the boos. I was there and laughed my head off the entire 10 minutes. The mutts accused Tech of "defacing" their field.....LOL This came a year or so after their BAND deflated the inflated Buzz that used to stand in the south end zone at Grant Field. Now THAT was defacing, and yet they get riled up over a logo that was put in place and then removed, with no harm done. Georgia fans are such piss-ants.....LOL
FIFY! One of their band members slashed the buzz as they were waiting to go on for halftime. I was watching the game from the balcony on Wardlaw (before they had seats on the South end and didn't allow people to watch from Wardlaw).

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
I was also there, and haven't been back to the Cesspool ever since. That was so much fun! As loud as the dwags were booing, the Tech fans were cheering even louder.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

It's technically a felony and UGA wants to prosecute.....DA cant prosecute if the victim (mutts) don't wish to seek prosecution. As harmless as the prank was this prosecuting it just seems dumb.....and spiteful. Guess that last part comes from us beating their asses on the field. Hope this gets resolved sensibly.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Didn't our band form a GT and drop grass seed out of their pants legs on ugags field once?

The legend about this was that it happened on a practice field and that the GT band was subsequently banned from warming up at the cesspool. The corollary legend for the mutt band was that they attempted this same grass-seed stunt at Grant Field but was thwarted by the artificial turf.

I have no idea to the validity of either legend, but they sure fit the narrative of COFH.