1990 Virginia game

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
So I attended Tech a few years after the national championship... suffered through that horrible 1-10 season as a freshmen. But I was always proud of Tech's deep football tradition and the fact that our national championship happened quite recently (not anymore now). As famous as that team was, I never watched a single game.

Well tonight, I finally watched that famous 1990 Virginia game. First qtr was all Virginia. You already know the ending but it had me worried... but what happened through the next three quarters was just magic. What a game. And OMG we had BEASTS on the roster. William Bell, Shawn Jones, Ken Swilling, that 315lb #70 guy... geesh... I was just watching the game, enjoying the high powered, confident offense and defense.

You know what I noticed though? Both GT and Virginia would play the option, more than you expect and it was quite normal. I just really do not understand all the fuss about how we're an option team with the high school offense... (I know, preaching to the choir).

But man, what a bunch of guys... it was very enjoyable.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Believe #70 was Mike Mooney. He has passed away I believe.

Yes, indeed, we played some option but much more traditional blocking schemes, passing, and running game as well.

Boss Ross, as evidenced by some of the receivers we had as an example, had a great eye for evaluating talent.

Always thought that one of Homer Rices few faults was what seemed to be his insistence on hiring new HCs that had HC experience. So instead of Ralph or George being named HC, we hired Bill Lewis.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
That 1990 game was so special to be at...one of my favorite all time memories as a GT fan.

Back in those days, bowls still were open season on who they would invite, and there were tons of bowls at that game watching both teams. They were out in force before the game as well, handing out advertising material to anyone they could find urging them to attend the "Insert Name Here" Bowl at season's end since they did not know at that stage who they were going to invite.

We scalped tickets outside the stadium early, found ourselves in the middle of the UVa alumni section, saw where the GT band and fans were, and worked our way around the entire stadium to get over there to sit with GT fans. They squeezed in to make room for us (friendly folks, those traveling GT fans!) and we spent the rest of the game screaming and hollering our lungs out. When Sisson's kick went through the uprights, we all went nuts. After the game, you could stand outside the Visitor's Dressing Room and hear the team screaming and celebrating inside. Memories......<sigh>

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
One of the most exciting games I've ever witnessed... Saw it with my mom, who said it was better than the 7-6 Alabama game...

You are right - option was a big part of the game not too long ago... People act like what we do now is from another planet... I posted recently about watching a series from the '99 dwag game, and in that series, we ran exactly the same spread option formation that CPJ runs...

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I said it after the Citrus Bowl and I still believe it; that UVa game was the best game I had ever seen GT play.

Note: I had only been following GT football for only about a decade at that time.

Lawyer mark

Jolly Good Fellow
Great game! I was 13 and remember getting worked up when we fell behind by 14. Was a huge deal back then to have a prime time televised game. Much has changed

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
That 1990 game was so special to be at...one of my favorite all time memories as a GT fan.

Back in those days, bowls still were open season on who they would invite, and there were tons of bowls at that game watching both teams. They were out in force before the game as well, handing out advertising material to anyone they could find urging them to attend the "Insert Name Here" Bowl at season's end since they did not know at that stage who they were going to invite.

We scalped tickets outside the stadium early, found ourselves in the middle of the UVa alumni section, saw where the GT band and fans were, and worked our way around the entire stadium to get over there to sit with GT fans. They squeezed in to make room for us (friendly folks, those traveling GT fans!) and we spent the rest of the game screaming and hollering our lungs out. When Sisson's kick went through the uprights, we all went nuts. After the game, you could stand outside the Visitor's Dressing Room and hear the team screaming and celebrating inside. Memories......<sigh>
I was there also with a large group of uva fans...it was the best game I've been to interms of competition and excitement...the citrus bowl vs Nebraska was my favorite...but that was a butt kicking (loved it)...with Shamu trolling over head...our good luck charm...

jayparr

Helluva Engineer

Yes, indeed, we played some option but much more traditional blocking schemes, passing, and running game as well.

Boss Ross, as evidenced by some of the receivers we had as an example, had a great eye for evaluating talent.

Always thought that one of Homer Rices few faults was what seemed to be his insistence on hiring new HCs that had HC experience. So instead of Ralph or George being named HC, we hired Bill Lewis.
I am NOT a C. Lewis fan, but he was national coach of the year when he was hired!

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

It turned out the guy who should have been hired was Lewis's OC, Steve Logan. Once again the head guy got credit for what a subordinate wrought.

Gtyellowjackets

Jolly Good Fellow
Fridgen said that the electronics "shockingly" did not work in the GT coaches box in the 1st qu if I remember right. So GT was playing blind and that's why we got off to such a slow start.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
One of the few games I stayed on campus for that season. Traveled to most of the road wins (& tie....ugh). Was a great day to be on campus if you couldn't be in Charlottesville.

...A "mob" sort of formed and converged on Grant Field. ..."gained access" & proceeded to tear our goal posts down. Not sure how often goal posts get removed after road games.

As a college kid... seemed like the coolest thing at the time. As an actual adult now & parent of a college kid, it seems ill-advised. There's a pretty long list of such things. :happy:

katlong

Jolly Good Fellow
One of the few games I stayed on campus for that season. Traveled to most of the road wins (& tie....ugh). Was a great day to be on campus if you couldn't be in Charlottesville.

...A "mob" sort of formed and converged on Grant Field. ..."gained access" & proceeded to tear our goal posts down. Not sure how often goal posts get removed after road games.

As a college kid... seemed like the coolest thing at the time. As an actual adult now & parent of a college kid, it seems ill-advised. There's a pretty long list of such things. :happy:
This was my first fall on campus. I'll never forget that game or the citrus bowl which we drive down to see as students. So much fun. Not sure why we had to have a bonfire to melt the red light after the UVA game (I wasn't part of that) but it was such fun that year!!

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
This was the first football game I ever remember watching. The first game I ever attended was the georgie game that same year. I was 9

hwdgeplague

Jolly Good Fellow
There was another great 41-38 uva defeat at bds a few years later. Again the posts came down!. Back on point in 1990 i said to my friend at half we will either lose by 28 or win by 3! Glad it was the latter!

Andrew

Georgia Tech Fan
There are, but CRF called the plays from the press box, and several times throughout the game the headsets were going out when we were on offense then magically would start working again when Virginia was on offense.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
So I attended Tech a few years after the national championship... suffered through that horrible 1-10 season as a freshmen. But I was always proud of Tech's deep football tradition and the fact that our national championship happened quite recently (not anymore now). As famous as that team was, I never watched a single game.

Well tonight, I finally watched that famous 1990 Virginia game...

Me too, exactly. I was a freshman during the 1-10 season as well. (Side-note my high school football team was gawd-awful, so the '95 UNC game was my first time witnessing "my team" hold on for a win.) But anyway same here about the 1990 Virginia game. Was it on TV or did you find it on YouTube?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
That UVA team was special. Got a bit decimated by injuries but might have been the best (probably were) overall when healthy at the start of the season. I think they lost an All America tight end the week before the Tech game. Their injuries didn't slow down any after that.