1985 Bobby Dodd Stadium Seat

stadiumseat

Georgia Tech Fan
Anyone have the back story of a stadium seat I have from November 30 1985?
It has a small plaque with the score of the game and at the bottom it says
"the night we tore the house down"
Thanks in advance

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
The Horseshoe was demolished after the conclusion of the '85 season, in early '86. Grant Field wasn't renamed "Bobby Dodd Stadium" until the '89 or '90 season.

(n)

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I was at that game and sitting with fraternity brothers. When Gary Lee came down the sidelines nearest us and even then, it was hard to see him in the fog.

Awesome game. Awesome memory.

stadiumseat

Georgia Tech Fan
It is a pretty unique piece of wood with a number engraved in the middle of it. Is it something that was sold back then? Did someone take it home after the game? It was in a home I purchased and figured it was worth some $$. Just have not found any info on how much or anything about them being sold in the past

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
It is a pretty unique piece of wood with a number engraved in the middle of it. Is it something that was sold back then? Did someone take it home after the game? It was in a home I purchased and figured it was worth some $$. Just have not found any info on how much or anything about them being sold in the past

Interesting artifact. I did not know that there were anything other than benches in Grant Field during that time.

"Seat backs for the weak-backs" (now known as a Stinger Seat) maybe?

Pics??

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Wait - this?
IMG00151.jpg

Last edited:

stadiumseat

Georgia Tech Fan
Yes! looks just like that but with a number engraved just under the gold plaque. Number was definetly a seat number or row number because it is weathered smooth

stadiumseat

Georgia Tech Fan
That's exactly it. Is that called something specific? I searched by everything I could think of and that's the first picture I have seen.
Make someone a good Christmas present!!

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
My dad was at that game with his bro-n-law who was a huge mutt fan. Both were drunk as hell and after the game my uncle played a little trick on my dad and dropped him off at the Clermont lounge when my dad told him he had to stop somewhere to use the restroom from all the beer and liquor he had consumed celebrating the win. My dad went right in unaware of what he would see inside!!!