1950s Uniform Color?

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Maybe they wore dark jerseys for the picture for the heightened contrast, since the photo is in black and white. The numbers show up better and the players are, uh, light skinned...
I saw a couple of team photos for other years in the 50s and they had white jerseys, so I doubt the reason for the dark ones is what you conjectured.

I prefer the gold-white-gold combo, but I think some folks who say that was the only combo we used back then (except on rare occasions) may be remembering history through a gold-tinted lens.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
What color were the uniforms around 1950-1951?

View attachment 16388
But I’ve noticed in Tech’s early history most of their jerseys are dark blue. Some of the 1920s teams pose in blue uniforms too.

I also think the early attempts at gold jerseys were more mustard looking which is why I kind of liked the Bud Carson era uniforms. They looked retro to me.

But gold / white / gold is obviously first choice or should be.

I’ve always wanted Tech to have 3 uniforms- The gold hats, white jerseys, gold pants as primary, the 1990 version of gold helmets and blue jerseys, and the Bud Carson era white helmets, mustard jerseys and white pants.
When Dodd became coach, one of the first things he did was to retire the "mustard" color jerseys in favor of the navy blue jerseys and white jerseys with gold pants. Coach Alexander had his players in a gold jersey scheme but don't know what color pants they wore. In his autobiography, Dodd said that he thought the mustard jerseys looked "drab" and the navy jerseys were sharp. No matter what jerseys they wore, Dodd's teams in the 1950s were tough to beat. Great speed on defense, always good kickers and smart quarterbacks who knew how to win.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I saw a couple of team photos for other years in the 50s and they had white jerseys, so I doubt the reason for the dark ones is what you conjectured.

I prefer the gold-white-gold combo, but I think some folks who say that was the only combo we used back then (except on rare occasions) may be remembering history through a gold-tinted lens.
They wore both colors with gold pants. Looked pretty sharp to me. Of course, anything looks good when you are winning which Tech generally did in those days.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Tech did not wear a dark jersey for home games in the 1950's. If you want to you can you tube those season highlights and see for yourself. I could not swear that they never wore a dark jersey at home but if they did, I cannot recall it. I used to have the media guides from the late 50's which contained a lot of game photographs, but they have long since been discarded. Not that it is a big bone of contention. The main point I was trying to make is that as an ardent Georgia Tech football fan, I always knew who we were on those rare TV appearances and in newspaper and magazine articles due to those beautiful GT white and gold uniforms.

Go Jackets!

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Tech did not wear a dark jersey for home games in the 1950's. If you want to you can you tube those season highlights and see for yourself. I could not swear that they never wore a dark jersey at home but if they did, I cannot recall it. I used to have the media guides from the late 50's which contained a lot of game photographs, but they have long since been discarded. Not that it is a big bone of contention. The main point I was trying to make is that as an ardent Georgia Tech football fan, I always knew who we were on those rare TV appearances and in newspaper and magazine articles due to those beautiful GT white and gold uniforms.

Go Jackets!
You mean like this game? (skip ahead to 50 seconds in)

This was the first video that popped up in my Google list. Of course it may have been one of those rare exceptions.

Edit to add: I don't doubt that white and gold are the uniforms most associated with Tech's 1950's teams. But those absolute statements that it was all we wore at home don't stand up to scrutiny.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
You mean like this game? (skip ahead to 50 seconds in)

This was the first video that popped up in my Google list. Of course it may have been one of those rare exceptions.

Edit to add: I don't doubt that white and gold are the uniforms most associated with Tech's 1950's teams. But those absolute statements that it was all we wore at home don't stand up to scrutiny.

There it is: the GBG unis of the early 1950’s. That’s the kids uniform I inherited from my oldest brother.

Not a Grad

Georgia Tech Fan

Go Jackets!
Well, perhaps Tech did not start any games in dark jerseys, but there was this - -
The first game I saw in person was the 1953 opener at Grant Field, against Davidson; I went with my cub scout pack, sitting high up in the old South Stands.
Shortly before kick-off, the skies opened up, and the entire game was played in a pouring rain.
For the second half, Tech switched from white to navy & gold jerseys (I think the muddy gold britches stayed on, though).
(Looking at the accounts of the game in the Atlanta Constitution now, I see that one sportswriter describes the second-half jerseys as black, but another says navy, which is what I remember).
The half-time score was 44-0, the third quarter was scoreless, and the final was 53-0 (4 of Tech's points came on safeties).

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
In his book “ Dodd’s Luck”, CBD addressed his thoughts about uniforms. This is copied from a summation Valdosta Jacket did on Stingtalk 10+ years ago:

“Dodd also addressed his team’s uniforms. He abandoned the traditional Tech garb – mustard-colored jerseys- in favor of two color-coordinated combinations: Blue shirts and white pants, or white jerseys with gold pants.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
In his book “ Dodd’s Luck”, CBD addressed his thoughts about uniforms. This is copied from a summation Valdosta Jacket did on Stingtalk 10+ years ago:

“Dodd also addressed his team’s uniforms. He abandoned the traditional Tech garb – mustard-colored jerseys- in favor of two color-coordinated combinations: Blue shirts and white pants, or white jerseys with gold pants.
He (Dodd) also said that he felt the uniforms with those 2 schemes were worth an extra touchdown per game (dress well, play well).