1950s Uniform Color?

FolkHall

Georgia Tech Fan
What color were the uniforms around 1950-1951?

IMG_3772.jpeg

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
In the 1950's Tech most always wore white jerseys, gold pants and gold helmets home and away. On rare occasion they were forced to wear a dark jersey, which I believe was navy blue, at away games. Georgia Tech and LSU were the only teams that predominately wore their white jersey at home. The 50's were the golden era of Georgia Tech football and should be held in the highest regard by our fanbase and the school as well. I have always thought that Georgia Tech should honor the memory of those teams and that time by wearing the same style uniforms in perpetuity.

Go Jackets!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
In the 1950's Tech most always wore white jerseys, gold pants and gold helmets home and away. On rare occasion they were forced to wear a dark jersey, which I believe was navy blue, at away games. Georgia Tech and LSU were the only teams that predominately wore their white jersey at home. The 50's were the golden era of Georgia Tech football and should be held in the highest regard by our fanbase and the school as well. I have always thought that Georgia Tech should honor the memory of those teams and that time by wearing the same style uniforms in perpetuity.

Go Jackets!
Marylyn Monroe would agree with you.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!
This photo, which was obtained by googling Georgia Tech football team 1950s, shows the 1950 "formal" team photo - and clearly they are wearing dark, presumably navy, jerseys. Seems very odd to have been forced to wear those (maybe their white ones were in the laundry?).
I wasn't around then but we have a couple of other posters here that might be able to weigh in on 1050's uniforms.
View attachment 16395

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!
Nope, the away jersey was black. It is true that Tech always tried to wear the white and gold in various mutations, but when the other side insisted (like, say, LSU) Tech wore black.

I saw them, you know,.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
My oldest brother (b. 1949) had a GA Tech children's uniform that I inherited as a small boy. That would have been the uni from the late 40's or very early 50's. It was a navy blue jersey with gold pants. I wore it. Of course, there is the notable possibility that, being a third color, that they actually wore both navy and black during that time.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
1953 thru 1956 most home and away games were gold pants, gold helmets and white jerseys, but some of the away games we wore Navy jerseys with the gold pants and gold helmets. Personally I wish we still did the same, it's what we were known by during what I perceive as our greatest period. Do not see teams like 'bama and others that have long history of success making drastic changes, at least most of them and although it's been a while since we were in that category hopefully headed back there.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
You have to understand, people saw in black and white in the 50s.

I thought that the Wizard gave us the ability to see in color back in 1939. Follow the YELLOW (Jacket) brick road.

Maybe we could only see in color at the movie theaters. (Color TV broadcast did not become available until late 1953. Not that I was there to witness it. 😉)

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I pulled this 1950 team photo from the Tech archives. If dark (presumably navy) jerseys were the rare exception, it seems odd that we would use that for their posed team photo.View attachment 16405
But I’ve noticed in Tech’s early history most of their jerseys are dark blue. Some of the 1920s teams pose in blue uniforms too.

I also think the early attempts at gold jerseys were more mustard looking which is why I kind of liked the Bud Carson era uniforms. They looked retro to me.

But gold / white / gold is obviously first choice or should be.

I’ve always wanted Tech to have 3 uniforms- The gold hats, white jerseys, gold pants as primary, the 1990 version of gold helmets and blue jerseys, and the Bud Carson era white helmets, mustard jerseys and white pants.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I pulled this 1950 team photo from the Tech archives. If dark (presumably navy) jerseys were the rare exception, it seems odd that we would use that for their posed team photo.View attachment 16405
Maybe they wore dark jerseys for the picture for the heightened contrast, since the photo is in black and white. The numbers show up better and the players are, uh, light skinned...