'14-15 Preseason Hoops Outlook

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Marquette doesn't have a guy over 6-7 who is eligible for the tourney. And the one 6-7 guy they have was played sparingly last season. But they have decent guards and a good 6-6 guy coming in.
This is the crux of my thesis as to why I think it won't be a gimme game, but we must game plan appropriately and execute well and pull out a win. If we win, I don't think it will look like a good win by season's end, but it'd still be a win over a name school.

I also think UGA is a must win game because it may set the tone for the year and put us in a good light relative to UGA's recently stronger push in hoops recruiting. Again, I wouldn't assume that to be a gimme by any stretch. UGA's guards are coming in to their own.

Last edited:

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I also think UGA is a must win game because it may set the tone for the year and put us in a good light relative to UGA's recently stronger push in hoops recruiting. Again, I wouldn't assume that to be a gimme by any stretch. UGA's guards are coming in to their own.

Couldn't agree more.. this year's game is absolutely HUGE. I am already excited for that game because there is going to be so much at stake. You know that the players must be excited knowing that this is the opener. Hopefully we can get our full team on the court soon (read Jorgensen) practicing together. We'll need to be fully focused in practice leading up to this one or it could easily be a loss.

You know that they are gunning for us after three in a row.

As crazy as it sounds, this game could be the one force that causes the Jaylen Brown pendulum to swing!!

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
This team has a real uphill climb to be good.Unless somebody EXPLODES on Off (Sampson,G-H,Tadric,Jorg-?) ,scoring will be a struggle .Basically a NEW team.Just getting the guys playing together will be a struggle .
Def may be ok IF the Guards play tough- though the top 4 are NOT tall at all.
If Gregory has a winning record ,he should be coach of yr.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@alaguy - not gonna lie, I think Sampson, MGH, & Tadric will make up at least 50% of our offense and will each have to average 10ppg at a minimum. Possibly more.

Not saying it will happen, but I do think that's what we'll need from them.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Bold prediction time!

QS will be our 2nd leading scorer.

"You can take that to the bank" - Villain from a Segal movie I loved as a kid

"Write that down" - Van Wilder

"Not too sure, but pretty sure" -A guy I used to work with.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
This is the crux of my thesis as to why I think it won't be a gimme game, but we must game plan appropriately and execute well and pull out a win. If we win, I don't think it will look like a good win by season's end, but it'd still be a win over a name school.

Agreed. It's probably kinda like facing Duke now in football. If you don't handle your business you can get beaten even though you shouldn't.

It'll certainly be a tone-setter for this season and, with a win, we can keep little brother in his place recruiting-wise.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
This team has a real uphill climb to be good.Unless somebody EXPLODES on Off (Sampson,G-H,Tadric,Jorg-?) ,scoring will be a struggle .Basically a NEW team.Just getting the guys playing together will be a struggle .
Def may be ok IF the Guards play tough- though the top 4 are NOT tall at all.
If Gregory has a winning record ,he should be coach of yr.
A lot of teams don't really have that team chemistry anymore. With the large number of transfers and players leaving early for the NBA, most teams start with fairly new squads every year.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am not sure what team chemistry means in this context. If it means knowing your teammates tendencies and being able to use that knowledge, then I think smart basketball players can develop "chemistry" in a few months. It does not take years.

William S. Baker

Georgia Tech Fan
Marquette has a new coach with a new style. Last year they went 17-15 and lost all their good players except the guards. None of the remaining players had any significant playing experience. I think our team matches up very well with them. If Luke Fisher 6 11 is not playing, we definitely have the height advantage and strength inside. Their guards would have to shoot lights out to take control of this game. I am not saying it can't be done on their part, but I surely pick Tech to win this one.

Freshmen:
  • Sandy Cohen, G
  • Duane Wilson (RS), G
Sophomores:
  • JaJuan Johnson, G
  • John Dawson, G
  • Deonte Burton, G/F
  • Luke Fischer, C
Juniors:
  • Steve Taylor Jr., F
Seniors:
  • Juan Anderson, F
  • Derrick Wilson, G
  • Todd Mayo, G
  • Matt Carlino (RS), G

Attachments

• upload_2014-8-13_12-1-49.png
    upload_2014-8-13_12-1-49.png
    219 bytes · Views: 12
  • upload_2014-8-13_12-1-48.png
    upload_2014-8-13_12-1-48.png
    219 bytes · Views: 11

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I am not sure what team chemistry means in this context. If it means knowing your teammates tendencies and being able to use that knowledge, then I think smart basketball players can develop "chemistry" in a few months. It does not take years.

I tend to agree. If a guy knows the game or has a high BBIQ, then he can probably mesh well with others. I'm sure we've all played pickup and discovered sometimes you can play with a guy you don't know but who kinda knows how to get open and such.

I wonder if the 'chemistry' discussion refers more to discovering guys' actual strengths versus what they think their strengths are (a certain former stretch(sic)-4 comes to mind) and figuring out good line-ups, who plays well with whom and in what role, etc. That could take longer I guess.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Marquette has a new coach with a new style. Last year they went 17-15 and lost all their good players except the guards. None of the remaining players had any significant playing experience. I think our team matches up very well with them. If Luke Fisher 6 11 is not playing, we definitely have the height advantage and strength inside. Their guards would have to shoot lights out to take control of this game. I am not saying it can't be done on their part, but I surely pick Tech to win this one.

Freshmen:
  • Sandy Cohen, G
  • Duane Wilson (RS), G
Sophomores:
  • JaJuan Johnson, G
  • John Dawson, G
  • Deonte Burton, G/F
  • Luke Fischer, C
Juniors:
  • Steve Taylor Jr., F
Seniors:
  • Juan Anderson, F
  • Derrick Wilson, G
  • Todd Mayo, G
  • Matt Carlino (RS), G

Mayo isn't there any longer either. Carlino is a player though, and having a player at the PG spot can make suspect teams look/play a lot better. Lets not forget who we are talking about here. I don't care who the opponent is or what kind of team they have, a GT victory is never a forgone conclusion.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I googled that video and watched him more closely. That was a nice move and I know the poor kid falling on the floor must have taken a lot of trash after being beaten like that. That said, those moves don't come often in the ACC. What does happen a lot is some of the other things I saw on that clip. He really sees the floor well and may be the best passer we've seen at Tech in a long time. And he has an effortless shot. I wish he released the ball a bit higher, but wouldn't mess with what works so well.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I googled that video and watched him more closely. That was a nice move and I know the poor kid falling on the floor must have taken a lot of trash after being beaten like that. That said, those moves don't come often in the ACC. What does happen a lot is some of the other things I saw on that clip. He really sees the floor well and may be the best passer we've seen at Tech in a long time. And he has an effortless shot. I wish he released the ball a bit higher, but wouldn't mess with what works so well.

I loved that kid from the first tape I saw.I said he would beat out Poole before the season.
Now after a SECOND knee problem, I'm worried that at 180 lbs he will have a hard time this yr.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
I loved that kid from the first tape I saw.I said he would beat out Poole before the season.
Now after a SECOND knee problem, I'm worried that at 180 lbs he will have a hard time this yr.

I think he's made a fantastic recovery. If you haven't looked at the videos he's been posting take a look (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_RyNYvG8mcZR7GTqRcYTiA/videos). I think he's put in a lot of effort this summer to make a full recovery.

What 2nd knee problem?

I believe he had a knee injury in high school.