12/2 - MBB vs. Duke — HOW BOUT THEM JACKETS!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Another thread spoke of officiating.

Here’s the analogy I’ve used in the past. I used to buy season packages to the Atlanta Braves back in the day when they had lots of home run hitters but average pitching. I frequently watched Braves pitchers not get called strikes that looked to me like strikes. Then the Braves created one of the best pitching staffs in baseball with pitchers like Avery, Maddox and Glavine. Suddenly the Braves started getting the benefit of the doubt on close pitches and the fans complained less and less about the umpires. Same close pitches as before, but different (better) calls.

My argument is that good teams develop reputations that subconsciously influence how officiating crews view the game.

When we play Duke lots of things will be aligned against us -the quality of their players, their motivation level, their reputation and the general perception shared by everybody from the average fan to the unconscious bias of the officiating crew, that they will likely make better plays and win the game.

Beating Duke would be a seismic shift in the order of the universe.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 12.45.06 PM.png

Sad stuff. It's ACC basketball against Duke on a Saturday folks. I don't believe we sold out COFH either.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
Why the hell does it alway feel like we play them when they’re coming off a loss??? Not sure if they’re the same as the K teams of the past, but playing them after an L under K was bad news.
I said the same thing to my son. Unfortunately, they have responded to their loss the way we responded to the Cincy loss.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Interesting, because a guy in the row behind me told me at the missy state game that he sold his 2 seats for the Duke game for over $600.
ducks

Someone (probably a set of Duke fans, let's be honest) bought mine for $530 on SeatGeek back in October before the secondary market got flooded and single game tickets were made available. Knocked out a good fourth of my season costs. That's why I'm sitting w/ Connell and dtm tomorrow in 104 rather than 102.

Aside, is tailgating a thing for hoops? +1 and I are figuring out our pregame plans for tomorrow. Doubt we would get hassled for open container but wondering if anyone has done it or seen it done before.

Last edited:

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
ducks

Someone (probably a set of Duke fans, let's be honest) bought mine for $530 on SeatGeek back in October before the secondary market got flooded and single game tickets were made available. Knocked out a good fourth of my season costs. That's why I'm sitting w/ Connell and dtm tomorrow in 104 rather than 102.

Aside, is tailgating a thing for hoops? +1 and I are figuring out our pregame plans for tomorrow. Doubt we would get hassled for open container but wondering if anyone has done it or seen it done before.
On the ticket situation, you sorry sons of…, I mean, smart move, you folks sure know how to work the system.

On the tailgating for hoops, not that I know of, but it should be a thing.

Ramblinwreck86

Georgia Tech Fan
ducks

I'll be in 104 tomorrow as well. One year I bought extra tickets for Duke and another game ( maybe UNC ) and sold them. It paid for my season tickets. Have not done it since as I hate the thought of selling to those a##h###s

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll be in 104 tomorrow as well. One year I bought extra tickets for Duke and another game ( maybe UNC ) and sold them. It paid for my season tickets. Have not done it since as I hate the thought of selling to those a##h###s
Glad to hear you grew a conscience and stopped selling out to the opposition… kidding

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Duke is currently ranked #240 in offensive rebounding. They’re missing Lively and don’t have the size to replace him because Filipowski isn’t a true 5. They’re also not shooting the 3 ball well, which is a tough combination to overcome. Which obviously means they won’t miss tomorrow.

bucknellbison31

Jolly Good Fellow
As a basketball guy and the only person on this thread to have seen Duke in person this year (I think), I'll share my two cents.

- I don't care what the stats say, this team can shoot. They hit timely threes, and when it rains it pours with them. I watched them bury Bucknell in just a few minutes in the second half with consecutive offensive rebounds and kick-out threes.
- This shouldn't be a shock, but they'll try to run on us. Gotta stop them in transition; if we don't, it will get ugly in a hurry.
- Fillipowski is a monster, full-stop. Dude can do it all, and will be a matchup nightmare for us (as he is for everyone). If we can keep him under 20, that's a big win.
- If you're looking for one of their guys to keep an eye on beyond him, it's Tyrese Proctor. Flies under the radar a bit, but he can ball. Can shoot it and is very athletic.
- We cannot let them go on big runs. As much as I hate to say it, there will be plenty of visiting fans there tomorrow, and there's no better way to get them engaged than with an 8-0 or 10-0 run. We need to keep them out of it as best we can. There were lots of State fans in attendance on Tuesday, but they never could make an impact on the game because we didn't allow their team to get momentum.

Bottom line: this is a winnable game, but it will take a full effort to get there.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
**** dook!
THW'em

2:50:

If you need any incentive to lose your voice tomorrow when we're on defense. "Much more relaxed atmosphere than Bud" - prove 'em wrong?

Last edited:

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
I was able to get tickets for $13 before fees in the upper deck. Crazy how low demand is but I guess that's what happens when you have an odd conference game on December 2