🤞Clemson at Georgia Tech Jan 20 2021, 7 PM 🤞

OG-T

Jolly Good Fellow
Rinse and repeat again and again. That was nice. We had not finished a game where all the big threats all played well - still haven’t!!! It was not a good shooting game for Jose. Add his guitar strumming to this display, and you’re playing with any team in the country. Bubba had one of the most impactful low scoring games I’ve seen in a long time. Inch for inch, crazy gutty player. Without the team’s great O, this could have been tough with Tigers shooting winning percentage - over 50%. Maybe our high-tech, expensive shooting machine that’s used at practice is finally properly calibrated.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'd love to take 1 of the next 2. Pastner is getting better as a coach imo.

Wonder if we're playing better with "small ball". Outside of James Banks, our biggest contributors are all the same guys from last season. Having Sturdivant, who is essentially the only new contributor, helps a lot because he can spell Alvarado/Devoe/Bubba, but he's also really good moving the ball and getting opportunistic buckets. We're essentially a 3 guard - 1 small forward - 1 power forward team. Banks was a big contributor (essentially a double-double guy) on the offensive and defensive end, so it's not like Banks was just a big body out there.

Pastner said that since we no longer have Banks to protect the rim, we are relying on our guards to clog the lanes and pick off passes in lieu of the blocked shots than Banks gave us. We saw against Clemson that we are also trying to disrupt big guys driving into the lane by getting offensive charging calls...which Bubba put a master class on.

If you look at our scoring, we have 5 guys (Alvarado 18pts/gm, Moses 17 pts/gm, Devoe 14 pts/game, Usher 9.7 pts/game, Bubba 9.7 pts/game) that can give us double figure scoring on any night, and we have 2 guys (Moore, Sturdivant) who give us that potential off the bench. That's REALLY hard to defend. Teams can't pick one or two guys to focus on because we can get scoring from almost anywhere now.

Against Clemson, we had 3 guys give us 20+ points, and 2 other guys who almost had double figures. The one guy in our starting lineup that wasn't close to double figures may have been our most impactful on the defensive end with how he drew charging fouls...and that was Bubba. We have become a hard team to defend, but the defense we've always been really good at is also returning to form. GT has definitely become a team this season that no team probably wants to see. Scrappy, good on defense, and hard to defend against because we can get buckets from almost anywhere.

All that, and what it comes down to is, this is the team we all expected during the offseason. The next row of UVA/Duke/FSU/ND/UVA games is going to tell us a LOT about this team.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Wonder if we're playing better with "small ball". Outside of James Banks, our biggest contributors are all the same guys from last season. Having Sturdivant, who is essentially the only new contributor, helps a lot because he can spell Alvarado/Devoe/Bubba, but he's also really good moving the ball and getting opportunistic buckets. We're essentially a 3 guard - 1 small forward - 1 power forward team. Banks was a big contributor (essentially a double-double guy) on the offensive and defensive end, so it's not like Banks was just a big body out there.

Pastner said that since we no longer have Banks to protect the rim, we are relying on our guards to clog the lanes and pick off passes in lieu of the blocked shots than Banks gave us. We saw against Clemson that we are also trying to disrupt big guys driving into the lane by getting offensive charging calls...which Bubba put a master class on.

If you look at our scoring, we have 5 guys (Alvarado 18pts/gm, Moses 17 pts/gm, Devoe 14 pts/game, Usher 9.7 pts/game, Bubba 9.7 pts/game) that can give us double figure scoring on any night, and we have 2 guys (Moore, Sturdivant) who give us that potential off the bench. That's REALLY hard to defend. Teams can't pick one or two guys to focus on because we can get scoring from almost anywhere now.

Against Clemson, we had 3 guys give us 20+ points, and 2 other guys who almost had double figures. The one guy in our starting lineup that wasn't close to double figures may have been our most impactful on the defensive end with how he drew charging fouls...and that was Bubba. We have become a hard team to defend, but the defense we've always been really good at is also returning to form. GT has definitely become a team this season that no team probably wants to see. Scrappy, good on defense, and hard to defend against because we can get buckets from almost anywhere.

All that, and what it comes down to is, this is the team we all expected during the offseason. The next row of UVA/Duke/FSU/ND/UVA games is going to tell us a LOT about this team.
Khalid Moore coming back would help a lot too to give us some forward depth to throw at Jalen Johnson for Duke. I really see that as a winnable game.

Deleted member 2897

Gonna be though against Virginia, but I can definitely see us pull out a 52-48 win. 😃

slugboy

Staff member
The only fault I could find was rebounding. Great win!
Our offensive rebound percentage was 19%, and Clemson’s was about 41%.
I thought we were actually better at rebounding last night than normal. Against Wake Forest (win), we got 12% offensive rebounding, against UNC (win) we got 4% offensive rebounding, and we got 15% against FSU (loss).
We weren’t good, but we were less awful than normal.

Our turnover percentage was about 15% and theirs was about 27%.
Our effective field goal % was 72% (thank you 3pt shooting!) and theirs was 62%.
Our offensive rating was 131.7 and theirs was 103.2.

Deleted member 2897

Our offensive rebound percentage was 19%, and Clemson’s was about 41%.
I thought we were actually better at rebounding last night than normal. Against Wake Forest (win), we got 12% offensive rebounding, against UNC (win) we got 4% offensive rebounding, and we got 15% against FSU (loss).
We weren’t good, but we were less awful than normal.

Our turnover percentage was about 15% and theirs was about 27%.
Our effective field goal % was 72% (thank you 3pt shooting!) and theirs was 62%.
Our offensive rating was 131.7 and theirs was 103.2.

It really was an incredible night offensively. If we would have had one of our infamous off nights with bad shooting and 20 turnovers, we would have lost by 20.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Usher is a competitor- as is the team as a whole. Feeling good about the direction we are going. Next 3 are tough ones but win or lose it’s time for the fans to fully back this program

Our next SIX games: at UVA - at Duke - FSU - ND - UVA - at Clemson

That's a make or break 6 game stretch for us. Getting out of it 3-3 or 4-2 would be just fine with me. If we do better than 4-2, well, we may be looking at a special team come Tournament time.

UV is currently #13 with losses to San Fran and Gonzaga (who might be the best team in the country).

Duke is 5-4 and they've had a lot of cancelled games. Lots of close win/losses for them.

FSU...well, we've already played them and they were a matchup problem for us all over the court. Moses had problems with them all game. One promising thing is we kept it close, and we had our chances.

ND has a losing season. We'll probably be favored against them, and they're likely our most "winnable" game.

Then we finish with rematches .

We'll find out a lot about this team after the next six games.

Deleted member 2897

Here are the lines on everyone who took a shot last night.
Moses Wright: 9/15, 2/2 3pt
Jordan Usher: 8/12, 5/8 3pt
Mike Devoe: 8/12, 6/6 3pt
Jose Alvarado: 3/7, 1/5 3pt
Kyle Sturdivant: 2/4, 1/2 3pt
Saba Gigiberia: 1/1, 1/1 3pt
Bubba Parham: 0/3, 0/2 3pt

I mean, that's just ****ing insane.

Devoe, Alvarado, Parham: 14 assists, 8 steals, 4 turnovers. Insane.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

This game might have been the best game I've seen from a trio at GT in a long while. In addition to the above they combined for 64 points, 12 assists to just 3 turnovers and 7 steals with just 4 fouls.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Usher is a competitor- as is the team as a whole. Feeling good about the direction we are going. Next 3 are tough ones but win or lose it’s time for the fans to fully back this program
I think CJP has figured out how to handle Usher. When he starts getting wild have him ride the pine for 2-3 mins and put him back in. When Usher’s playing with controlled aggressiveness our team is tough to handle.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Jose Alvarado: 3/7, 1/5 3pt
Kyle Sturdivant: 2/4, 1/2 3pt
Saba Gigiberia: 1/1, 1/1 3pt
Bubba Parham: 0/3, 0/2 3pt

I mean, that's just ****ing insane.

Devoe, Alvarado, Parham: 14 assists, 8 steals, 4 turnovers. Insane.
I could have sworn that Devoe missed a buzzer beater 3 late in the 2nd, and the announcers mentioned it too. But, I'm glad he was able to keep perfect on 3s after all.

They were really fun to watch last night.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
This is the most fun team that I have ever seen of all Tech BB since 1956!! The reason are! Not one of these guys are not anywhere near as highly rated coming out of high school as any of the good to great teams since recruiting became a big deal to us fans! They play with such vigor, emotion, hustle, and team work! Their def. is really fun to watch; just as much fun as the offense!! The offense looks like their passing is like 5 kenny Andersons on the floor!!! I love it!!

crut

Helluva Engineer
This is the most fun team that I have ever seen of all Tech BB since 1956!! The reason are! Not one of these guys are not anywhere near as highly rated coming out of high school as any of the good to great teams since recruiting became a big deal to us fans! They play with such vigor, emotion, hustle, and team work! Their def. is really fun to watch; just as much fun as the offense!! The offense looks like their passing is like 5 kenny Andersons on the floor!!! I love it!!
Of the 7 players in the rotation... Alvarado, Devoe, Sturdivant, and Usher are 4 stars. Khalid, Moses, and Bubba are the only ones who weren't highly rated.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

We did it as Jose had an "off" night for him. We played some outstanding ball without Jose being "Jose"...if we can keep it up AND get "Jose" back, just WOW. Also bodes well for next season as Devoe and Sturdivant will be our starting guards.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I mean.. dang. That was fun huh?

I was texting with my dad throughout the game that this is the first real tournament ready team we have had since 2004. CJP had the boys tuned up right last night and we layed the wood with authority.

We made it through without Khalid, but I’ll be happy to have him back so that we can avoid small ball of/when a usher needs a calibration moment to slow himself back down in games. Jose/Devoe/Bubba/Kyle are looking like they came to play in the guard rotation and Moses isn’t messing around anymore. Someone got in his ear about the [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅100)̲̅$̲̅] he can make in the NBA and he is here to show what’s what.

Let’s go get it against UVA. One thing that has me feeling particularly bubbly is that we ran ABunch of slowed down half court offense and looked to pick our shots. That’s what we will have to do against UVA. The land of transition ball, they are not.