Tennessee fans already starting to talk about the 2017 GT-Tennessee game

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Listened to a Chattanooga station last week and I think one of their guys, in a UT lookahead to '17, said Tech is the team nobody wants to play.

The way we played the last 4 games of the season, I'm not sure many teams wanted to play us then. Our defense played better, and our offense settled into a nice groove. If we played like that all season we're probably an 11 win team. Reminds me a lot of how we closed out 2014, though that '14 offense was special.

Tennessee starts off notoriously slow under Butch Jones, so GT matchup first game of the season is not really ideal for them. Hopefully our boys stay focused over the offseason and continue to improve instead of being content with how they closed out 2016.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It's amazing how all SEC fans, no matter what team, sound the same when discussing us:

1. "High school offense"
2. "Illegal chop blocks"
3. "Dirty play"
4. "Worried about our linemen's knees"
5. "Option is easy to figure out with months to prepare"
6. "Gimmicky offense"
7. "Turky neck"
8. "Lesser talent"

They don't seem to talk about how we are 5 - 1 vs SEC during last 3 years.

Good list! Looks like the start of SEC Fan Bingo!

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I think the problem is that because GT sports are so underrepresented in the media, most people paint a certain picture of us in their mind. UT fans seem to put our program's prestige on the same level as Vanderbilt, uga fans do the same thing. So any suggestion that we can beat them is met with scoffs. Even a lot of recruits view coming to GT as a rebuilding job. UT fans don't want to scheudle us because they think it's an automatic win and anything otherwise is an insult to their program.

Those close with the program know that 2014 wasn't a fluke and 2015 was a result of a team overwhelmed with injuries. We've actually been a successful program by most metrics over the last 9 years, with bigger achievements than 90% of teams. This bounce back year was good for the perception of our program. Put together 10 wins next season with a big starter and we'll see a shift (if only a small one).

northgajacket

Banned
I think the problem is that because GT sports are so underrepresented in the media, most people paint a certain picture of us in their mind. UT fans seem to put our program's prestige on the same level as Vanderbilt, uga fans do the same thing. So any suggestion that we can beat them is met with scoffs. Even a lot of recruits view coming to GT as a rebuilding job. UT fans don't want to scheudle us because they think it's an automatic win and anything otherwise is an insult to their program.

Those close with the program know that 2014 wasn't a fluke and 2015 was a result of a team overwhelmed with injuries. We've actually been a successful program by most metrics over the last 9 years, with bigger achievements than 90% of teams. This bounce back year was good for the perception of our program. Put together 10 wins next season with a big starter and we'll see a shift (if only a small one).

That and Tennessee fans are *******es

northgajacket

Banned
The KY fan in front of us Saturday said "I use to hate Rocky Top...until today ".
"If much rather hear it than that fight song yall have"..
Well, me being the wise guy I am is said,
"I thought you would like that Rocky Top.It's the universal tune for inbreeding...."
"Just keep us from scoring and you won't here it again"
View attachment 2133
He never mentioned it again but my singing got louder and louder!

He should have learned to like rocky top.... Tennessee beat the crap out of Kentucky for 25 some odd straight years.

Also that guy looks like the product of three generations of inbreeding.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Nobody here has discussed how Tennessee was absolutely decimated by injuries this year. (Heck that's why Butch Jones still has a job!) I heard something like 20 starters missed a game, and they used ~25 different starters on Defense alone. (Can you imagine?) Yet unlike our snakebitten 2015, they still managed to win 9 games. Ouch.

Vols fans have plenty of reason for bounce-back optimism, and should be favored going into the game because of physical mismatches. But as we know, CPJ's scheme can move the football and score regardless, whether with a flashy QB getting the ball to the playmakers (JT, Lynch, Searcy, Green), or with a simplified gameplan between the tackles and Jordan feeding the beast (Mills) ala the VT game. My guess says PJ keeps it simple and we don't turn the ball over, while Tennessee passes too much and their new QB serves-up some INTs.

northgajacket

Banned
Nobody here has discussed how Tennessee was absolutely decimated by injuries this year. (Heck that's why Butch Jones still has a job!) I heard something like 20 starters missed a game, and they used ~25 different starters on Defense alone. (Can you imagine?) Yet unlike our snakebitten 2015, they still managed to win 9 games. Ouch.

Vols fans have plenty of reason for bounce-back optimism, and should be favored going into the game because of physical mismatches. But as we know, CPJ's scheme can move the football and score regardless, whether with a flashy QB getting the ball to the playmakers (JT, Lynch, Searcy, Green), or with a simplified gameplan between the tackles and Jordan feeding the beast (Mills) ala the VT game. My guess says PJ keeps it simple and we don't turn the ball over, while Tennessee passes too much and their new QB serves-up some INTs.

Except Tennessee has much more depth than Tech.... therefore the injury excuse is not as valid IMO. Plus they didn't have a great schedule.

Wins: Appalachian State, Virginia Tech, Ohio,Florida, Georgia, Tenn. Tech, Mizzou, Kentucky and Nebraska.

IMO not that impressive.

Safe Harbor! Shrimp, deviled crab and grouper :D
I ate at a "dump" on Jax Beach that was AWESOME. Seems like the dumpiest looking places always have the best food. I had some kind of spindly, tough skinned fish I had never heard of that was blackened. I thought it was called "fritter" fish, but I can't find that online. At any rate, it was delicious.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Except Tennessee has much more depth than Tech.... therefore the injury excuse is not as valid IMO. Plus they didn't have a great schedule.

Wins: Appalachian State, Virginia Tech, Ohio,Florida, Georgia, Tenn. Tech, Mizzou, Kentucky and Nebraska.

IMO not that impressive.

Of course Tenn has more depth, but 20+ injuries?! This year we had like...five, and none were season-ending.

Injuries were so bad for the Vols you can pretty-much throw out all their shortcomings on defense AND their losses to the S.Car & Vandy.

Maybe i shouldn't have drawn a comparison to our 2015 because that's basically a moot point. I'm just saying that ANY impressions of Tennessee's year must take their MASSIVE injury issues into account. The only thing they had going for them was Josh Dobbs ...which happens to be the same thing we've got going for us. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtownJacket

Georgia Tech Fan

IMO not that impressive.

Still might be more impressive than our season. Our two big wins were Virginia Tech and Georgia, teams that Tennessee also beat. Then they beat Florida and Nebraska on top of that.

Although, we stomped Vandy and they lost. Their loss to South Carolina was also worse than any of our losses.

GT and Tennessee had similarly impressive 2016 seasons. Should be a good game. Tennessee will be favored and its hard to blame Vegas for that, but we could win.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I ate at a "dump" on Jax Beach that was AWESOME. Seems like the dumpiest looking places always have the best food. I had some kind of spindly, tough skinned fish I had never heard of that was blackened. I thought it was called "fritter" fish, but I can't find that online. At any rate, it was delicious.

Singleton's?

That place is also a fish market like Safe Harbor. You can't go wrong when a fish market doubles as a restaurant. I bought some golden tile (very similar to grouper) the friday before Christmas and kabobed it. Awesome!

ps. it's only about a mile from my condo!
It was probably the most spartan restaurant I have ever eaten at that was rated so highly, but who cares if they only have plastic and cardboard; it was GREAT !!!
Did you go to the Alumni/Fan thing Friday night? It would have been nice to meet you along with all the others from this site whom I met or re-met.
BTW, I checked their online menu, and it must have been trigger fish that I got. Like I said, it was very very good. It didn't appear on the actual menu there; it was only offered as a special by the waitress.