why does tech tolerate a flagship station like 790 the zone? when is the contract up?

snocap1

Georgia Tech Fan
why does tech tolerate a flagship station like 790 the zone? when is the contract up?
1. they seem to go out of there way to cater to uga (which is understood to a certain degree they are the larger fan base)
2. the owners of the station seem to hate tech

3. they don't promote tech in the proper way

4. has anyone in th gtaa had a sit down with steak

5. I believe 92.9 the game is a new and viable option they just got the rights to the hawks

thanks,

Lenny Land

Midlands Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
The reality is that ugag has owned Tech for the last decade and winning is what it is all about. Tech needs to win more than once in ten years to garner any respect. It doesn't help that Tech basketball also has been irrelevant for a while. Beat the mutts and things will begin to change. As far as 790 goes, they are a bunch of *** clowns. Steak being to biggest *** clown of the bunch. I believe steak is the owner of the station which speaks volumes on why the station is the worst sports station in Atlanta.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Midlands Jacket said:
The reality is that ugag has owned Tech for the last decade and winning is what it is all about. Tech needs to win more than once in ten years to garner any respect. It doesn't help that Tech basketball also has been irrelevant for a while. Beat the mutts and things will begin to change. As far as 790 goes, they are a bunch of *** clowns. Steak being to biggest *** clown of the bunch. I believe steak is the owner of the station which speaks volumes on why the station is the worst sports station in Atlanta.

I agree with you regarding winning but only to a point when it comes to 790. Like you said, they are assclowns. Actually that's an insult to assclowns, but I digress. They have an obvious personal beef with CPJ that has risen way past being unprofessional. CPJ hasn't helped but he shouldn't have to kiss their butts either.

They recently had a great series of interviews with GT players and staff by Barnhart & Durham that aired in successive days during the morning show. I listened just to hear the interviews but ended up hearing their reactions as well. It was purposely dismissive and disrespectful IMHO. My fault for listening. I cannot wait for that contract to be up and I hope & pray we end up on 92.9. They're not supportive either but they're the only game in town that isn't outright disrespectful to Tech

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
It shouldn't matter which team is beating which team regularly, or how many more fans are around in a certain area; if a station is a "flagship" for a particular team; meaning they have a contract in place with them to "represent" them as their primary channel, then they should have an obligation to "cater" to that team's fanbase, in my humble opinion. This doesn't mean they have to be "cheerleaders" 100% of the time; heck I don't think anyone on the Tech blogs are; however, being a Tech station, should mean they talk Tech sports, and the only time other teams come up in conversation is when Tech plays the other team as a competitor, not making the competitor as the only point of the conversation.

After all, Tech is helping to fund the station, just like the advertisors, so we have a vested right to expect this status if they call themselves as our "flagship" station. If they aren't our "flagship" station, then all bets are off...

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
790 is owned by Liberty Media, which apparently is highly conservative, i.e. no more Stews. Steak sold the company to them.

xenoabe

Jolly Good Fellow
Flagship only means they carry us and advertise themselves as our station. They don't have to wear gold-colored glasses. 790, with the exception of Barnhart and Durham, is just a terrible sports radio station.

I've exchanged messages with Matt Chernoff on 680 a few times and he likes Tech, as well as UGA, but just says that they don't have enough listeners that seem to care about GT to give them much time on-air. Personally, that's pretty believable unfortunately.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
xenoabe said:
Flagship only means they carry us and advertise themselves as our station. They don't have to wear gold-colored glasses. 790, with the exception of Barnhart and Durham, is just a terrible sports radio station.

I've exchanged messages with Matt Chernoff on 680 a few times and he likes Tech, as well as UGA, but just says that they don't have enough listeners that seem to care about GT to give them much time on-air. Personally, that's pretty believable unfortunately.

Good post. +1

I have no problem with 790. If we want to dominate talk on the radio station, a) start winning b) start listening & calling in. They're a business...if you do those things, people will talk about you and want to hear talk about you.