Why did we have 3 timeouts left ???

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I didn't like that either. It may have looked bad to be taking timeouts because you obviously know your defense was going to allow the score, but we obviously knew our defense was going to allow the score.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
24nqpas.jpg

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
We need to use our timeouts on Defense. They are going for it on 4th & 1 --> call timeout. Set the defense. Turnovers are huge. We didn't call one against Duke in that same situation either.

/

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
IMO the non use of the time outs was not the issue. If we tackle a receiver inbounds a couple of times, or drop the Qb for a sack on that last drive, they run out of time. Our mistake was not rushing 7 on every down on that last drive. We get one stop and we win. If they hit a long one quick our offense has some time left, and our time outs, and a chance. Since we elected to play the bend but don't break defense we counted on time running out so we should not have taken the time outs on D.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
IMO the non use of the time outs was not the issue. If we tackle a receiver inbounds a couple of times, or drop the Qb for a sack on that last drive, they run out of time. Our mistake was not rushing 7 on every down on that last drive. We get one stop and we win. If they hit a long one quick our offense has some time left, and our time outs, and a chance. Since we elected to play the bend but don't break defense we counted on time running out so we should not have taken the time outs on D.
This is what I would have liked to have seen. Commit to either blowing up the play or getting blown up. Either way our Offense gets the ball back with some time left.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Running clock was our friend at the end, regardless of D problems. Just needed to run 12 seconds more off...not slow it down.

Not once they got in FG range. I completely agree with letting it run before that point. You don't want to give UNC the chance to take their sweet time calling plays for the potential winning drive. But once they crossed the 30, it was a foregone conclusion. If we get 40 seconds instead of 11, at least we have a shot.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
DTGT posted all that needed to be said for this thread. I know how hard it is as a fan to suffer watching our defense not make crucial stops the last 4 years and we lose a close game at the end. But actually making the calls on the sideline of such games, such as using TO's, has to ignore this psychologically traumatized aspect that we fans have developed.

You can't use time outs there because you have the lead! If you end up giving up the lead you need TOs to try and regain it or tie. It is football coaching 101.