Why can't coach talk about officiating?

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
From the AJC article

“Obviously, I can’t talk about officiating, but I think in every game, there’s calls that can have an impact in the game, so I think I’ll leave it at that,” Collins said.

It is not obvious to me why he can't talk about officiating. Why can't he? What are the consequences if he does? Is it an NCAA violation? Is it a fine? He should be doing all the talking that he can about officiating if it is to protect our players. At this point in his career, talking seems to be what he does best anyway.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I dunno, but let's all remember that refs, like coaches, players, fans, etc. aren't perfect and the calls go both ways, and that they even out over the long haul.

Which reminds me once again - Jasper, thanx...

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
It's against the rules. He'll get a fine, iiuc
I looked it up and found an article where Harbaugh was fined 10K by Big10 in 2016. I think it's more of a "code of conduct" issue than the fine itself though. Officials make mistakes, and it's just part of the game. Heck, sometimes teams get opportunities to convert 5th down.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't there a call so egregious that CPJ took the fine a couple years ago and brought it up in the post-game press conference?

For some reason I’m thinking about the ‘09 UNC game. We were driving before half for points and there was some question about whether our receiver had gotten out of bounds or not. Official looked confused and then signaled for the clock to roll. Only problem was it was also a 1st down and should have stopped regardless. CPJ lost his **** and the officials never huddled to figure out what they ****ed up. Killed our chance at a FG attempt.

Don’t know if that’s the one you’re remembering, but I remember him being pretty fired up about that one.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
From the AJC article

“Obviously, I can’t talk about officiating, but I think in every game, there’s calls that can have an impact in the game, so I think I’ll leave it at that,” Collins said.

It is not obvious to me why he can't talk about officiating. Why can't he? What are the consequences if he does? Is it an NCAA violation? Is it a fine? He should be doing all the talking that he can about officiating if it is to protect our players. At this point in his career, talking seems to be what he does best anyway.
Blaming officials is a loser mentality

buzzmaniac

Georgia Tech Fan
For some reason I’m thinking about the ‘09 UNC game. We were driving before half for points and there was some question about whether our receiver had gotten out of bounds or not. Official looked confused and then signaled for the clock to roll. Only problem was it was also a 1st down and should have stopped regardless. CPJ lost his **** and the officials never huddled to figure out what they ****ed up. Killed our chance at a FG attempt.

Don’t know if that’s the one you’re remembering, but I remember him being pretty fired up about that one.
Think you're right....here's a clip of it.