why are people so upset (sometimes the truth hurts)

stech81

Helluva Engineer
First, it's fine to be upset but watch where you put blame.
Some blame the coaches but understand this is only one season and 5 games for the offense and only 5 games for the defense.

Let's look at the offense first. Why did half the people think our offense would be better. Go back at the preseason People were happy with the offense the last half of the year. But why? We scored 23 against Miami but that took a dumb move by their coaching staff. Then we scored 23 against Boston and lost the game fact Boston College did not have a good defense, at that time they were given up 31.8 points per game. Then we scored 46 against UNC which was good, but UNC defense was no better than ours. Then we scored 31 against Syracuse which we could have scored more if our defense could have stopped a team without a QB. Last 23 against uga which was the most uga had scored on their defense.
Now don't get me wrong our offense was lots better than the year before. Last year was Buster Faulkner first year and the players first year running his offense. It's not like we are Alabama and loaded with all 5- and 4-star players, it takes time to get better.
Then some said at the start of the year we will have one of the best OL in the ACC, because we averaged over 200 yards last year. Maybe the other teams were more worried about our passing game. Remember last year other teams didn't know what our offense will be like or anything to base in on till about mid-season. This year they know what we run. The real question is how much of the playbook are we using.

And now the defense, this coaching staff has only been together 5 games if you don't think they are not better than the last 5 years not much I can't say much to you. You still need to give them time to get their players in they need, you got to see our tackling is better this year.

Now the Head coach, some people ain't never going to be happy cause they think the one they wanted didn't give the job. Just like the players they need time. Coach Key was not my first choice, but Saban didn't want the job and it's my understanding that John Heisman would return the calls. But I like Coach Key and think he has done a great job so far. Has he done everything I would, no but if they worked out everyone would think he was a genius, and you have to show the player you trust them. recruiting is better than in the past few years and these coaches are having to learn things like the portal NIL which O'Leary and Ross didn't to worry about now it's a 365-day job to recruit new players and also recruit your players again.

I know some on here will think I full of sh*t but that's fine I'll start drinking again at 10 am late start no game today,

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I just don’t think we have the personnel yet to play the offense that Key want (run the bawl btwn the tackles), and after last year defenses are keyed in on stopping our run game. The coaches need to trust King’s arm and alter the offensive game-plan to the strengths that we have.
The best coaches adjust their scheme to what they have. We seemed to have done the same thing late last year, but it seems we might be trying to figure it out right now. It’s frustrating losing that game.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes we have lost 2 games but both have been very competitive. I get in the end, Ws and Ls are what counts. The key is closing out drives in the Red Zones, not making major mistakes and getting stops on 3rd and 4th and long. Those issues caused the 2 losses. But they are correctable. I still think Duke should be a win and Va. Tech, UNC, and NC State are in my mind toss-up. We need to win 3 of those to be bowl eligible. Maybe we pull an upset against Notre Dame or Miami. I just don't think we have the personnel to really compete with UGA yet. So 6 wins is doable and maybe up to 7 wins. Not where any of us want GT to be. But I think we need at least those win totals to hold onto our recruiting class and key players who are eligible to come back next year.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I just don’t think we have the personnel yet to play the offense that Key want (run the bawl btwn the tackles), and after last year defenses are keyed in on stopping our run game. The coaches need to trust King’s arm and alter the offensive game-plan to the strengths that we have.
If he wants to "run the bawl" between the tackles as bread and butter of his offense then he needs a bigger back (like Dontae) that can break tackles. Of course the ol has to at least move their opponent and get some push. We couldn't get any push to speak of yesterday and not sure why the plays were continuing to be called up the middle. Their guys were beating our guys. I hope Key hasn't put Buster on a short "run the bawl" leash.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Yes we have lost 2 games but both have been very competitive. I get in the end, Ws and Ls are what counts. The key is closing out drives in the Red Zones, not making major mistakes and getting stops on 3rd and 4th and long. Those issues caused the 2 losses. But they are correctable. I still think Duke should be a win and Va. Tech, UNC, and NC State are in my mind toss-up. We need to win 3 of those to be bowl eligible. Maybe we pull an upset against Notre Dame or Miami. I just don't think we have the personnel to really compete with UGA yet. So 6 wins is doable and maybe up to 7 wins. Not where any of us want GT to be. But I think we need at least those win totals to hold onto our recruiting class and key players who are eligible to come back next year.
I agree on all. What’s interesting is Duke’s the only undefeated of the 4. They haven’t played anyone though and barely got by UCONN and NW. They play UNC this week which’ll be interesting.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
I’m upset because I let a bunch of 20 year olds control my emotional state. /s kinda

Honestly thought it was weird that Louisville got very little respect. Wasn’t a game I expected to win based on where both programs were at the last few years. Syracuse loss honestly felt worse than this but I think most people would have been expecting us to be sitting at 3-2 or 2-3 at this point of the season before the year started (with a win over Syracuse instead of FSU more likely).

The good news is the ACC as a whole continues to look worse than their already low expectations and the back half of our schedule is more manageable than previously thought. Fan bases that should easily be more upset than us: FSU, VT hyping themselves up to be dark horse acc contenders and then losing to vandy and Rutgers, NC State talking about winning 10 games and getting utterly annihilated by the 2 real teams they’ve played so far, etc.

Duke, UNC, NC State, and VT should all be winnable games if we can clean up mistakes. 6-7 wins isn’t glamorous but I’ll take it over the 3 win seasons we had before this. I think we are still trending in the right direction as a program for now

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If he wants to "run the bawl" between the tackles as bread and butter of his offense then he needs a bigger back (like Dontae) that can break tackles. Of course the ol has to at least move their opponent and get some push. We couldn't get any push to speak of yesterday and not sure why the plays were continuing to be called up the middle. Their guys were beating our guys. I hope Key hasn't put Buster on a short "run the bawl" leash.
No rb is punching thru the non-existent holes our interior OL is currently opening

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I’m upset because I let a bunch of 20 year olds control my emotional state. /s kinda

Honestly thought it was weird that Louisville got very little respect. Wasn’t a game I expected to win based on where both programs were at the last few years. Syracuse loss honestly felt worse than this but I think most people would have been expecting us to be sitting at 3-2 or 2-3 at this point of the season before the year started (with a win over Syracuse instead of FSU more likely).

The good news is the ACC as a whole continues to look worse than their already low expectations and the back half of our schedule is more manageable than previously thought. Fan bases that should easily be more upset than us: FSU, VT hyping themselves up to be dark horse acc contenders and then losing to vandy and Rutgers, NC State talking about winning 10 games and getting utterly annihilated by the 2 real teams they’ve played so far, etc.

Duke, UNC, NC State, and VT should all be winnable games if we can clean up mistakes. 6-7 wins isn’t glamorous but I’ll take it over the 3 win seasons we had before this. I think we are still trending in the right direction as a program for now
I’m not super upset about losing to UL on the road, they are top 2-3 in the ACC and are well coached, losing to Syracuse just sucks though, thats akin to losing to BC last year imo

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
No rb is punching thru the non-existent holes our interior OL is currently opening
Correct. Maybe time to try some other guys on the OL. So far the best we seem to have is our Yale transfer at TE and he really gets after it and i know not the same as interior. Maybe some of our OL guys are banged up. I tend not to watch the OL guys playing to see who is playing but not sure we rotate them much.

Last edited:

Richland County

Jolly Good Fellow
King can sling it. Run more pass to set up the run. Buster calling games this year has been disappointing. The way Tech won the fsu game was fools gold. Become innovative Buster not predictable and conservative.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
"golftime" said, "I hope Key hasn't put Buster on a short "run the bawl" leash." I also worry this could be the problem offensively and I felt offense was our biggest problem this game, not that there were not other things that needed fixing.