Who still has cable?

How do you watch TV

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
For context, we're in our mid 30's, two children under 4. Our setup is we have Roku's on every TV in our home, a Tablo Quad connected to an Antenna in the attic. We have Disney Plus for the kids (considering canceling because they would rather watch YouTube), Apple TV plus (included in phone plan & never watch), Netflix (wife watches), and Amazon Prime (my oldest likes Pete the Cat). Last football season we paid $274 for Sling for 5 months (Don't Recommend even if it's the cheapest option, only 1 Disney/ESPN stream at a time was nightmare. Didn't read fine print), year before we used Hulu, although we canceled after March Madness.
I have an attic antenna but never got around to running coax from it to a TV. So I purchased a Tablo device based on your post. I expected that it was basically a WiFi bridge from the antenna to a TV.

All I can say is "Wow". This thing is dope! I set it up with a small indoor UHF antenna on my desk just to see if I could get it set up and working before I ventured into my attic. Did a channel scan and got 125 channels! Not only that, I had no idea it has its own interactive channel guide just like premium cable! And some DVR capabilities! This might push me to go ahead and drop DirecTV. Thanks again!

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Your arrangement isn't a bad deal for what you are getting. I'm thinking of going this route as well since my DirecTV has been seeing regular price increases of late. How many GT games are on ESPN+?

As FYI, I pay only $65 for ATT 1gig fiber, after a $5 increase last Aug. It's not a limited-term "teaser" deal. Includes HBO Max (or is that from my formerly bundled DirecTV sub? Not sure)

Also, DirecTV only requires one box per household - the rest is distributed via cable, assuming your home is prewired. Not sure about Comcast.
I'd say several if not most GT basketball games seem to be on ESPN+. Baseball as well. Most football games are on normal programming.

Dman374

Georgia Tech Fan
I have an attic antenna but never got around to running coax from it to a TV. So I purchased a Tablo device based on your post. I expected that it was basically a WiFi bridge from the antenna to a TV.

All I can say is "Wow". This thing is dope! I set it up with a small indoor UHF antenna on my desk just to see if I could get it set up and working before I ventured into my attic. Did a channel scan and got 125 channels! Not only that, I had no idea it has its own interactive channel guide just like premium cable! And some DVR capabilities! This might push me to go ahead and drop DirecTV. Thanks again!
Glad you like it. I still have the Tablo, and prefer the Tablo at my house, but did want to let you know of another option if you're away from home.
I set up what's called an AirTV2 from Sling at a relatives house. Setup is super easy, download the sling app on your phone and watch a YouTube video, but it's the exact same concept as the Tablo. You don't have to pay for Sling to use the Sling app, and the free version of the app works with an antenna if you buy the AirTV equipment. One huge advantage, and why I saved this family members login is for tailgating. Unlike the Tablo, I can watch the local channels away from home with the AirTV. Both of them have the DVR (connect a hard drive), but to watch the Tablo away from home you have to pay for their service, then setup port forwarding on your network, and it's a pain. Downsides with it, and why I prefer the Tablo to Sling at my house is the AirTV only rebroadcast the signal at 720p, and only in stereo. Tablo can do 1080 and 5.1 Dolby Digital. Don't go down the rabbit hole, or waste your money on an ATSC 3.0 tuner, it's a ripoff, overrated, and not ready for prime time.