What planet are you people on?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I doubt we will openly start looking for a new coach during the season, but this has to be a wake-up for Bobinski. I agree with Red to a certain degree, but I think saying we have a core of good players is further indictment of BG. In his 3+ years here we have scored 80 or more points seven times. Twice in ACC play. Of the five OOC games, two were against uga (80 points each time) and three against early season cream-puffs. The inability to play defense this season is just another reason to quietly begin our search. Not every coach at successful programs is happy enough to stay put if he got a good offer and a commitment from the admin to support the program. It is not tampering to call a lawyer.

Whatllyahave

Georgia Tech Fan
We did know what we had but this game was easily winnable. Maybe we should have guarded the white guy or maybe not taken a 2 pointer with 1.6 seconds left. A game like this could be the difference in making the NIT or not. Shoulda won and really shoulda won by a comfortable margin.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I can't believe I'm the one to say this but, guy, calm down.

Many of us knew what we had coming into the season. There was some conservative optimism after the UGA win but this loss isn't as shocking as some make it out to be. We should have won yes. But, after the last 5 years is it really shocking. No way.

Chill and brace yourself

In a world where Peac is a voice of reason ...:lurking:

Seriously though, I have no problem with waiting til year end but the reality is the issues we have have been the same for 4 years. The alarming thing is they're basically the same issues Dayton had

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
If you don't know that Tech Basketball is "irrelevant" which is worse than bad - then, you simply aren't in the real world.
  • There is zero chance the team will EVER compete in the ACC in basketball - now especially so that Louisville & Syracuse have been added. This is an irrefutable FACT!
  • The Tech Athletic Dept. realizes this - and knows that Tech hoops is a dead product. They don't care. they just don't want a basketball program that is an embarrassment.
  • There are like 2,000 fans at a out-of-conference basketball game.
  • The Atlanta Dream are more popular than Tech Basketball.
  • The Marquette thread tonight has like 8 posts "during the game". Stingtalk not much better.
  • The coach is no good. Nice guy. Can't recruit.
  • The players are no good. Especially the guards. The guards are abysmal.
  • Tadric Jackson and Q Stephens are keepers - the rest of the team is disposable.
Every minute you spend watching or listening or reading Tech Hoops - is a minute of your life wasted.

Don't be a loser like me - I follow it strictly for the morbid fascination of it all. There is no other possible reason to follow Tech hoops.

The only good thing - Tech has beaten UGA 4-in-a-row!!!! Whoopeeeeeeeeeeee!

There is no possible refutation of the above........

You are thinking - well Tech will eventually get a good coach and compete. DREAM ON!

I will admit - it is conceivable that Tech could have a .500 type ACC team if everything comes together. Why bother following a team that the ceiling is .500 play in conference.

I am a Tech Grad. I am a Tech Fan. I am a big basketball fan. Nothing would please me more than Tech having a competitive basketball team. But, I implore you to heed my advice and do something else with your spare time.

If you don't believe me - then why does like 99% of the Tech Alumni not attend games / post here or at some other Tech message board?

END OF STORY.

Now watch - this post will get deleted - even though it is the 100% gospel truth!

And, believe me - I am holding back 90% of my venom - minimum.
Haha damn you're negative.. It can actually be pretty easy for us to start excelling in basketball with so much regional talent around us and being in the best conference in the country. The ACC is going to get SEC football treatment now. Just need to recruit. Tech will be fine. I expect them to bounce back in a couple of years if they get a new coach.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I am not a troll! At least I am posting. That means I care.
Keep in mind that Marquette got toasted at home by the University of Nebraska - OMAHA and was behind for a majority of the game (also at home) against NJIT (the G-Tech of New Jersey who are horrible).
Marquette started 3 point guards last night and still won - had the game in hand - until a last minute GT rally.
Guard play / Guard play / Guard play - that is ALL that matters.
Think about it!!!!!!!!
Even in 2004 - it was Carrot Top (Schensher) with 4 guards out there - take your pick (Jack, Lewis, McHenry, Elder, Ish, Moore).
The game of college basketball is 99% offensive guard play. Everything else (big men, defense, coaching, fans) is virtually meaningless - OK, 1%. Take this mindset and you will have a decent team. Of course, you have to recruit great guards every year since they will defect or whatever - making the task near impossible.
Tech, this year, actually has a good big man rotation (Mitchell, Cox, Sampson, Lammers) - only one of them should be on the court at any one time.... that is if you want to win. If you want to not win - then have two of these guys on the court at the same time.
P.S. Michigan State will beat Marquette by 25 today.

yep, guard play is paramount--blewiitt started his downfall when he didn't sign that Austin Jackson guy from Tx who went baseball and he had NO back-up plan --YRS ago
I feel the same as you but I am not nearly as incensed since it was obvious this team AT BEST had to have time to jell with all the new parts--between that and limited talent(see FTs) it would be a 2nd half season ,again AT BEST..
otoh--if uva can resurrect themselves with a coach,so can we

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
@Mr. Keen - let's tone down the dramatization please.

What planet are you people on?
I can think of a couple of better ways to have titled a thread like this than the above.

Please keep the discussion civil (and also mature) so that I don't doubt leaving this thread open.

A "okay this happened, what improvements can be made?" type of discussion can be so much more constructive than "we suck, here are the reasons why".

Mr. Keen

Banned
@Mr. Keen - let's tone down the dramatization please.

I can think of a couple of better ways to have titled a thread like this than the above.

Please keep the discussion civil (and also mature) so that I don't doubt leaving this thread open.

A "okay this happened, what improvements can be made?" type of discussion can be so much more constructive than "we suck, here are the reasons why".

John,
I agree - my tone is negative.
But, keep in mind we have had 3 good regular seasons in the ACC out of 35 years!!!!!!!!!!
Hard to inspire being "positive".
You can ignore all the historical facts if you like - I really don't "see any plan" in sight.
I want to believe... I do. There is no evidence to suggest any turn around.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
John,
I agree - my tone is negative.
But, keep in mind we have had 3 good regular seasons in the ACC out of 35 years!!!!!!!!!!
Hard to inspire being "positive".
You can ignore all the historical facts if you like - I really don't "see any plan" in sight.
I want to believe... I do. There is no evidence to suggest any turn around.
Elder advice : "I agree, but..." isn't agreement.

That said, a lot of us agree with you regarding this team. Beyond that, I part company with you.

Tech could be good enough for post season play almost every year in the ACC, but it will not happen with this coach. When will Bobinski pull the trigger on BG remains a huge question hanging over our team. And, our recruiting.

Mr. Keen

Banned
I don't know how many of you have "suffered" like me?
I attended Tech from 78-84 - I saw Tech lose to Duke by 40 points in 1980. I was there when Tech was 1-27 in their first two years in ACC play. I was in Brooke Steppe's Poli-Sci Class (1981) that Cremins picked him up after. Hell, even during most of the so-called glory years under Cremins - Tech fans suffered quite a bit.
Believe me when I tell you - there are very few Tech fans left from the old days. Very few.
Only masochists remain... like myself. Sad. but true.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@Mr. Keen I think it's very fair to express disappointment in the current state of the program and its spotty history over the past 14-15 years.

That said, I'll just remind you to be careful of how you subjectively bend numbers to present them as historical fact. You're pounding the table about our "3 good seasons" based on your calculations has me convinced you're a banker like me, who knows how to spit out the numbers however you need them to so the deal works.

Here are some facts about me:
  • Season ticket holder since age of 23, Bobby's final season. Still am, but haven't lived in Atlanta since 2007.
  • Have traveled the U.S. & Caribbean to see GT play many times and have great memories, including the beaches of Maui and shooting craps with the entire Virgina Tech team while Iman Shumpert sipped tequila in Atlantis.
  • Tutored for the hoops team during the mid-1990s while at GT
  • Camped out for student tickets, including during a down year, and had 1st row tickets many many many times that on a pre-job interview happy hour, I was recognized as that kid on TV.
You want to call me a masochist, go for it. I've given you the facts to do so, but please don't make that blanket assumption about the other forum members.

I'll express disappointment or be critical when it's called for, which I encourage you to do in a civil manner and I think you have done so far, but please be wary of self-serving facts or stepping over a line when discussing the team.

The decision to fully support the team through the ups & downs is solely yours to make. Personally, I hope you'll make the choice to support them, but if not, please don't drag your negativity for the sake of negativity over here.

The games are there to be played and MBob will solely make a decision as to BG being here next year based on a multitude of factors.

Mr. Keen

Banned
@Mr. Keen I think it's very fair to express disappointment in the current state of the program and its spotty history over the past 14-15 years.

That said, I'll just remind you to be careful of how you subjectively bend numbers to present them as historical fact. You're pounding the table about our "3 good seasons" based on your calculations has me convinced you're a banker like me, who knows how to spit out the numbers however you need them to so the deal works.

Here are some facts about me:
  • Season ticket holder since age of 23, Bobby's final season. Still am, but haven't lived in Atlanta since 2007.
  • Have traveled the U.S. & Caribbean to see GT play many times and have great memories, including the beaches of Maui and shooting craps with the entire Virgina Tech team while Iman Shumpert sipped tequila in Atlantis.
  • Tutored for the hoops team during the mid-1990s while at GT
  • Camped out for student tickets, including during a down year, and had 1st row tickets many many many times that on a pre-job interview happy hour, I was recognized as that kid on TV.
You want to call me a masochist, go for it. I've given you the facts to do so, but please don't make that blanket assumption about the other forum members.

I'll express disappointment or be critical when it's called for, which I encourage you to do in a civil manner and I think you have done so far, but please be wary of self-serving facts or stepping over a line when discussing the team.

The decision to fully support the team through the ups & downs is solely yours to make. Personally, I hope you'll make the choice to support them, but if not, please don't drag your negativity for the sake of negativity over here.

The games are there to be played and MBob will solely make a decision as to BG being here next year based on a multitude of factors.

I respect your stature here and with the teams of the past. I do.

I am not bashing Gregory or the players - have I?

The problem is way beyond their control.

I'll go away... no reason to post anything more anyway.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
@Mr. Keen -
No need to go away. We appreciate the enthusiasm and love for GT BB. I'm sure I would have seen you in the stands in during the early 80's. Was at every home game 81 - 86 as a student and got to enjoy some 'great - good' season(s).

Still a fan today and want us to do better, just like everyone else on GTSWARM.

Mr. Keen

Banned
@Mr. Keen -
No need to go away. We appreciate the enthusiasm and love for GT BB. I'm sure I would have seen you in the stands in during the early 80's. Was at every home game 81 - 86 as a student and got to enjoy some 'great - good' season(s).

Still a fan today and want us to do better, just like everyone else on GTSWARM.
I stormed the court in 1984 when Tech beat UVA in triple overtime - and I was screaming into Mark Price's ear. Only 30 years ago.........