What’s Happening at Georgia State?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I watched a couple of minutes of Ga State and Coastal Carolina last night while flipping channels and noticed they are 4-0. Being the largest school in the state, if I recall accurately, a few winning seasons could turn their large alumni group into active supporters and make the school attractive to coaches and players.

Does anyone have any deep insights into how their program is developing, knowledge of players and coaching staff? At my age I no longer spend my time deep in the weeds of subjects that are not of vital interest so I’m curious about what other people think or know.

I’ll take deep in the weeds analysis or hot takes and gut reactions. Seems like a lot of potential there unless I’m overlooking something obvious.

slugboy

Staff member
We would probably also be 4-0 against their schedule. They’re probably about as good as we are right now—they have a nice offense and a weak defense. Their win against Coastal was good, and they have a good coach.

They could draw local interest by being a fun team to watch. It’s tough though—KSU’s basketball team made the NCAAs last year, and I understand that tickets were easy to get all the way through their season. When GSU’s basketball team went to the NCAAs, it also was easy to see a game.

There seems to be critical ingredients to getting fans in the arenas and stadiums—tradition, lots of other fans (people follow popularity), how fun the game is, force of habit, quality of the team, and how welcoming the fan base and environment is. There are probably more factors.

“Win and they will come” is a start, but it’s not enough.

GSU probably needs to catch lighting in a bottle to get attention—I’m not sure what they need to do, but people have to notice them. Kind of the same for us.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We would probably also be 4-0 against their schedule. They’re probably about as good as we are right now—they have a nice offense and a weak defense. Their win against Coastal was good, and they have a good coach.

They could draw local interest by being a fun team to watch. It’s tough though—KSU’s basketball team made the NCAAs last year, and I understand that tickets were easy to get all the way through their season. When GSU’s basketball team went to the NCAAs, it also was easy to see a game.

There seems to be critical ingredients to getting fans in the arenas and stadiums—tradition, lots of other fans (people follow popularity), how fun the game is, force of habit, quality of the team, and how welcoming the fan base and environment is. There are probably more factors.

GSU probably needs to catch lighting in a bottle to get attention—I’m not sure what they need to do, but people have to notice them. Kind of the same for us.
Well, about that very thing, I wondered if not having the constraints Tech has whether they could take a chance on hiring someone “like” Deion or giving a huge NIL to the next Walter Peyton.

But I know nothing about the administration’s commitment to building that kind of brand and spending that kind of money.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

We would curb stomp them now, tomorrow, next week, and next year. They don't belong in the same stratosphere as us.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
Coastal isn’t the same team this year so GSU hasn’t played anyone, barely beat Rhode Island. We’ll see how they do vs App State and LSU in November.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Maybe I don’t need to clarify, but just to be clear, I am not suggesting Ga State is a juggernaut, has arrived, or that they could even compete on the same level as Tech right now.

Just wondering if their direction is promising or if they might ever capitalize on their large enrollment and urban appeal in this age of NIL.

slugboy

Staff member
Maybe I don’t need to clarify, but just to be clear, I am not suggesting Ga State is a juggernaut, has arrived, or that they could even compete on the same level as Tech right now.

Just wondering if their direction is promising or if they might ever capitalize on their large enrollment and urban appeal in this age of NIL.
Urban appeal isn’t easy. Even the Falcons and United don’t pull as well as they announce.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Georgia State is a commuter school and as such just doesn’t have the same enthusiasm as most boarding colleges.