We need a second option

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm surprised to read your last comment. Kelly is playing the best defense of his entire tenure at Tech IMO.
He didn't play his best defensive game against UVA.

Our offensive a defensive efficiency ratings on 12/18/23, 12/25/23, 1/7/24, 1/16/24 and 1/23/24:

12/19/23 232 101
12/25/23 231 126
01/07/24 212 175
01/16/24 208 190
01/23/24 196 218

As we move deeper into conference play, our offensive efficiency is climbing while out defensive efficiency rating is sinking. The mean is 181. So, both categories are robustly mediocre. This jives with what I see on the court. Offensively we are progressing but we are not keeping up well with ACC teams on the defensive ends due to sinking rebounding numbers and getting killed by bigger, strong inside players.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
He didn't play his best defensive game against UVA.

Our offensive a defensive efficiency ratings on 12/18/23, 12/25/23, 1/7/24, 1/16/24 and 1/23/24:

12/19/23 232 101
12/25/23 231 126
01/07/24 212 175
01/16/24 208 190
01/23/24 196 218

As we move deeper into conference play, our offensive efficiency is climbing while out defensive efficiency rating is sinking. The mean is 181. So, both categories are robustly mediocre. This jives with what I see on the court. Offensively we are progressing but we are not keeping up well with ACC teams on the defensive ends due to sinking rebounding numbers and getting killed by bigger, strong inside players.
Not sure what to say in response other than having watched all the games from previous years and this year, it seems obvious to my eye he is playing harder on defense than ever before. I think his rebounding numbers overall reflect that. This year he seems to be playing much tighter D on his man than previously. Of course in his previous years we played so much zone that could add to my perception.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
To me Dowuana is not part of the discussion. I haven't seen him and Ndongo on the floor together much if at all that I can recall. I don't think they want to play Ndongo in the corner as a 4.

Claude is definitely not a scorer against ACC competition - especially at the 4. Duke ignored him and I expect Pitt to do the same tonight. To me the key going forward is Gapare or Coleman being able to play solid enough D to stay on the floor against a 2 big setup so we can have some offensive threat at the 4. So far they haven't consistently so we end up with Claude.
Dowuana and Ndongo start nearly every game and generally play at least 4-5 minutes together as starters.

Gapare and Debo have different limitations vs Claude. Claude gets the same amount of rebounds as Gapare and Debo combined and he played fewer minutes than either so when you combine them he gets the same amount of rebounds in half the time.

As you said Claude isn’t an offensive threat.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Dowuana and Ndongo start nearly every game and generally play at least 4-5 minutes together as starters.

Gapare and Debo have different limitations vs Claude. Claude gets the same amount of rebounds as Gapare and Debo combined and he played fewer minutes than either so when you combine them he gets the same amount of rebounds in half the time.

As you said Claude isn’t an offensive threat.
You are right. I forgot Dowana started a bunch of games . He is usually gone quickly to get Ndongo in the roll situation.

The rebounding for Claude is part of the defense I mentioned. Coleman and Gapare don't rebound/play D as well as Claude. Many times I wish they did but .they don't.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I.e. a plan to use the talent we have, not what we wish we had.
Nice summary.....

Playing devil's advocate, I can also see running the offense CDS wants to demonstrate the possible, with better fit players. Of course, this approach works much better early in the timeline of not likely to be relieved from the coaching position.

Last edited: