Way too Early Starting Rotation Guesses

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
With Schmolke's exit let's play the way too early game of guessing our starters. Let's pick one weekday starter as well as the weekend rotation. Also throw in who you think our closer will be. Here is my way too early guess.

Friday - Terry Busse - we tried using him as a starter late last season but this year I think he's a starter from the get go. We all know he has great stuff and is capable of shutting anyone down on any given night. With an offseason designed to convert him to a starter I think he ends up being our Friday guy.

Saturday - Cam Hill - hopefully this is the year that Cam brings his summer ball stuff to Tech. Everybody knows he has the arm to dominate but can our new pitching coach help him get the ball over the plate consistently.

Sunday - Ben King - another guy with great swing and miss stuff. Also has shown the ability to get the ball over the plate consistently.

Weekday - traditionally we have used this slot for a younger guy to get a chance to show his stuff or turned it into a staff day where everyone just goes an inning or two. Given the importance of these weekday games to the RPI I think we go with someone more experienced. Maybe Aedin Finateri or Ben Thomas a senior who transferred in. Or possibly even Dawson Brown, though I think his role this year will be more of a long reliever.

Closer - this is a tough one. My best guess is it comes down to one of three guys: Jackson Vaughn, Cam Jones or Riley Stanford. Vaughn is my first choice because he showed last year an ability to come in during a difficult situation and get out of trouble. Seems to have the temperament and mentality of a closer. Cam Jones fro GA State was used in a closer role at times last year by his old team. He could be a Jackson Finley type who plays 8 innings in the field then hits the mound for the ninth. Finally I list Riley Stanford with the caveat that he has recovered from his injury last year. In high School he had dominant stuff and just overpowered the hitters. He's a big guy on the mound that reminds me of our old friend Maxwell though not quite as big (who is).

Spring practice may yield some freshman phenom who might get the mound. That is hard to predict but as a team it would be great to see some of the young guys emerge. But until then this is my guess as to who we will see take the mound. Love to hear from the rest of you what you think our rotation will be. Looking forward to February 16th and the beginning of another season full of hope. Will this be our year?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
With Schmolke's exit let's play the way too early game of guessing our starters. Let's pick one weekday starter as well as the weekend rotation. Also throw in who you think our closer will be. Here is my way too early guess.

Friday - Terry Busse - we tried using him as a starter late last season but this year I think he's a starter from the get go. We all know he has great stuff and is capable of shutting anyone down on any given night. With an offseason designed to convert him to a starter I think he ends up being our Friday guy.

Saturday - Cam Hill - hopefully this is the year that Cam brings his summer ball stuff to Tech. Everybody knows he has the arm to dominate but can our new pitching coach help him get the ball over the plate consistently.

Sunday - Ben King - another guy with great swing and miss stuff. Also has shown the ability to get the ball over the plate consistently.

Weekday - traditionally we have used this slot for a younger guy to get a chance to show his stuff or turned it into a staff day where everyone just goes an inning or two. Given the importance of these weekday games to the RPI I think we go with someone more experienced. Maybe Aedin Finateri or Ben Thomas a senior who transferred in. Or possibly even Dawson Brown, though I think his role this year will be more of a long reliever.

Closer - this is a tough one. My best guess is it comes down to one of three guys: Jackson Vaughn, Cam Jones or Riley Stanford. Vaughn is my first choice because he showed last year an ability to come in during a difficult situation and get out of trouble. Seems to have the temperament and mentality of a closer. Cam Jones fro GA State was used in a closer role at times last year by his old team. He could be a Jackson Finley type who plays 8 innings in the field then hits the mound for the ninth. Finally I list Riley Stanford with the caveat that he has recovered from his injury last year. In high School he had dominant stuff and just overpowered the hitters. He's a big guy on the mound that reminds me of our old friend Maxwell though not quite as big (who is).

Spring practice may yield some freshman phenom who might get the mound. That is hard to predict but as a team it would be great to see some of the young guys emerge. But until then this is my guess as to who we will see take the mound. Love to hear from the rest of you what you think our rotation will be. Looking forward to February 16th and the beginning of another season full of hope. Will this be our year?

Given my PTSD from our past pitching adventures, I also have no idea who does what.

But under Freshman / new to the team I'll say these are the new guys who I'll watch closely to see who emerges:
  • Michal Kovala (RHP - Fr) was #1 ranked European player and is a pitcher from Czechia. With 1.24 ERA in 9 2022 PG games, guy can pitch. Didn't pitch in either fall ball game.
  • Tate McKee (Fr) is ranked really high and has the stats. He was given 2.0 IP in our second fall ball game and did good in the first IP but not second IP. Regardless, shows that staff wants to develop him.
For the returners, agree with Busse, Hill, King and Finateri. They were the ones given multiple IP in either fall ball game.

gtbeak

Jolly Good Fellow
Given my PTSD from our past pitching adventures, I also have no idea who does what.

But under Freshman / new to the team I'll say these are the new guys who I'll watch closely to see who emerges:
  • Michal Kovala (RHP - Fr) was #1 ranked European player and is a pitcher from Czechia. With 1.24 ERA in 9 2022 PG games, guy can pitch. Didn't pitch in either fall ball game.
  • Tate McKee (Fr) is ranked really high and has the stats. He was given 2.0 IP in our second fall ball game and did good in the first IP but not second IP. Regardless, shows that staff wants to develop him.
For the returners, agree with Busse, Hill, King and Finateri. They were the ones given multiple IP in either fall ball game.
I would like to see Aeden Finateri be one of our weekend starters. He and Ben King are (IMO), our top two returning pitchers. I'd love to see summertime Cam Hill make an appearance as well. Dawson Brown and Jackson Vaughn are both good bullpen pieces if used correctly, although I don't look at either as closer types. Terry Busse should contribute well, but in what role I don't know. I also don't know who amongst the newcomers should be expected to step into a weekend rotation or A-team relief role.

ETA: I really liked Logan McGuire the little I have seen of him. Hopefully he can be healthy in '24.

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
I totally forgot about McGuire. I agree, if healthy he should play a major role somewhere. I would think he could compete for one of the weekend spots.