Wake Series

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
First ACC series. No WREK today :bag:

But ESPN3 is working. King got pulled after 2 and gave up no runs. Hope he is ok. Stanton comes in and gives up a solo HR. 1-1. Fortunately our error didn't hurt given a DP.

We have gotten a lot of unearned runs this year; but probably won't from Wake who is 9-4 coming into this game.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Domination, obliteration, humiliation and abuse is all you missed. I missed most after the third (fortunately).

Are we gonna be bad? Our record against mediocre teams would say yes, but we are young. We'll be better next year. :whistle:

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
Anybody heard an update on King?

RE: How bad will we be?
I agree with Nuke. We won't be great this year by any stretch of the imagination unless something happens. Next year will be huge for us. A year could make a huge difference for the freshman and it will be nice to see Matt Gonzalez with another year of experience. IMO we have a chance to be really good next year

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Making the ACC Tournament will likely also mean an NCAA tourney berth.

Issue last night was having King come out after 2 innings. I don't ever expect to score many runs, but we need superb pitching, and once your starter is out after 2 innings, and one of the best in the pen (Cruz) was unavailable due to his stint against the Dawgs Tuesday night, our pitching depth got exposed a bit.

Less upset with the loss than I am concerned about King. IF (and only if) our starters can stay healthy, gooble innings and put up zeros, then we have a chance. Otherwise, we will be lousy.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
King out, Heddinger struggling ..... they showed King in the dug out in the third looking disgusted and throwing the ball into his glove. King had some control issues in the first two - 38 pitches in two innings with only 19 strikes. With our plethora of pitchers, we should be better than we were.

I'm more pessimistic about the team .273 batting average given the weak pitching we have seen so far. And the errors. with another 2 last night (to Wake's 0). I hope we figure some stuff out by mid-season.

Midlands Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Not going to happen. Again being young has nothing to do with it. This program has been in steady decline for the last few years. Young team or an experienced team doesn't matter. Same mistakes are being made and the style of ball hasn't changed. Only difference now is Tech doesn't have the big thumpers and you're seeing the results. Danny boy only knows one brand of baseball and that is depend on the three and two run bombs. If he isn't getting that he will not be able to manufacture many runs. Remember a midweek ugag pitcher shut them out. Only going to get worse.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Not going to happen. Again being young has nothing to do with it. This program has been in steady decline for the last few years. Young team or an experienced team doesn't matter. Same mistakes are being made and the style of ball hasn't changed. Only difference now is Tech doesn't have the big thumpers and you're seeing the results. Danny boy only knows one brand of baseball and that is depend on the three and two run bombs. If he isn't getting that he will not be able to manufacture many runs. Remember a midweek ugag pitcher shut them out. Only going to get worse.

I'm afraid your right Midland. There's no excuse for some of the things that are happening. But, I do hope it can get better before it gets any worse down the road. Time will tell all.

It's going to be a long, long, long season :(

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Midweek FRESHMAN UGAg pitcher. Not that I noticed.

Anyway, Pitts gets chased after two. Heddinger came in and gave up an off the wall hit. We blow 3-1 lead to have it tied up 3-3. That answers the question of Heddinger getting bounced out of the starting rotation. The way he is going, he may not be relieving either.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Heddinger lasted a whole inning. Only down 3-5 with 1 on and none out in the 4th. Unfortunately Isaacs is the one getting put in for what may be a losing cause since we don't have much power. But you have to try. Time for something else!!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Alright, back for more. Just turned on and it's 0-0 in the second. This CBS Sports is pretty good.

****, WF just hit a HR. Grimes starting, maybe he'll make it past the third. Hall has been very quick to change pitchers all year, a change in tactics to go along with 65% of our players being pitchers. 0-1. The WF hitters are swinging easy - for good reason.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Time to settle in now and finish washing windows later. GT up 5-1 to bottom 7th. I came back and WF had bases loaded and Ryan comes in and strikes out 2 with 7 or 8 pitches.

Maybe we can get an ACC win!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Time to settle in now and finish washing windows later. GT up 5-1 to bottom 7th. I came back and WF had bases loaded and Ryan comes in and strikes out 2 with 7 or 8 pitches.

Maybe we can get an ACC win!

You're not goin' a little manic - depressive / all or nothing on us??? ;)

In all seriousness, this is going to be a tough season...