Wainstein Report into UNC Academic Fraud Released

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Imho, this situation pretty much tears it. If nothing is done, then further academic fraud will burgeon. It's just like child labor; a collective action problem that can only be corrected by an outside regulator. It is plain as a pike staff that the coaching staffs and the AD at UNC knew what was going on. A plea that "nothing was proven" in this matter looks on it as a criminal proceeding instead of a regulatory one; all you need for that is a preponderance of evidence and, Jeebus knows, there's a gracious plenty of that. Unless the NCAA comes down on UNC, it will have essentially forced all schools - like Tech - that don't do this to begin to think of ways to accommodate academic fraud to stay competitive. Here's hoping they see that and lower the boom on the Tarholes.

I'd string them up from the nearest oak, if I were deciding this. And, btw, let 'em sue if it happens. Can you imagine what that trial would be like? "Well, yes, your honor, my clients admit to massive academic fraud and ruining the futures of hundreds of student athletes, but …" That isn't at all likely to happen.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Sad. It is so pathetically sad that I cannot even feel good about teasing UNC about it. What will be even sadder will be if nothing changes and college football continues to operate with shame programs all across the country with people still pulling for national championship teams that are composed primarily of ringers.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
If no serious penalties result from this, the NCAA needs to look at its policies and procedures. There are strict NCAA rules for all sorts of things which amount to trivia compared to such a huge, systematic scandal.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If no serious penalties result from this, the NCAA needs to look at its policies and procedures. There are strict NCAA rules for all sorts of things which amount to trivia compared to such a huge, systematic scandal.

If nothing happens from this the NCAA should just disband.

I read that they have the option of waiving the 4-year statute of limitations if they want. If they don't here what's the incentive to not just commit system-wide fraud?

I also read where some say the teams shouldn't be punished because the coaches basically trusted the admins that the classes were legit or w/e. Well, if we pay a guy under the table and it comes out we still get punished regardless of what the coaches knew, right? What's the difference in UNC's case?

GT_Inta-neer

Georgia Tech Fan
If the academic advisers were rigging the academics without the coaches' or higher administration's knowledge is that not the very definition of "lack of institutional control?" If the NCAA doesn't punish in some way they really need to just close up shop because it will be obvious that they are just a big joke that will only punish the schools that don't have the super large fan bases or the money to block them. GT gets hammered for less than $400 of clothing that was returned because they told the student athlete that the NCAA wanted to talk to him, while Miami gets nothing big for strip clubs, booze, and other stuff to recruits and other larger school examples. What a crock of :poop:.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It is more than football and basketball, it's also baseball at UNC. http://www.collegebaseballdaily.com/2014/10/23/north-carolinas-mike-fox-knew-about-paper-classes/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed: CollegeBaseballDaily (College Baseball Daily)

Read the e-mails in the post. Really damning for Fox even though he says he didn't know about "paper classes".

Pervasive and institutional disregard for academics. If this happened at GT, I hope all staff involved would be fired.
Yes, this is as bad as it can get. If this is not the reason why we have an NCAA then they don't even need to exist.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The NCAA exists now to protect their bureaucracy. It is the way of mature organizations and Governments.

Reinvention and revolution do have benefits. At least in a democracy you teeter on chaos sometimes which leads to change. Sometimes good, sometimes bad but the least worst form of Government.

The NCAA has no redeeming values for the money sports. For minor sports, absolutely the NCAA serves a purpose to ensure a level playing field of sorts. But money corrupts absolutely.

{Enough one liners, I don't like the NCAA in football or basketball and would like to see something else created.}