VPI Knife Edge...

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I calculate ppd from cfbstats data.
Points = 7*sum (rushing TD, passing TD) +3* FGs made.
Drives = sum(TDs, FGatt, Punts, Lost TOs, failed 4th Dwns)

Theoretically there could be a drive ending in a safety or a lost fumble during a return, but I think it's close enough. I don't count defensive scores as part of offensive production as most Total Points stats do.

Ga Southern in #5 at 3.76 ppd.

Impressive!

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
AE, where can I find ppd stats, cfbstats.com doesn't have 'em? (edit)

aside: Georgia Southern is among the leaders in nearly every offensive stat. Their D is pretty good, too, only giving up 19 ppg. We, otoh, are giving up 26. That was no small feat knocking off those guys.

Aside from NC State and Tech, Southern's schedule has been soft - the worst program in Division I football, FBS or FCS, a bad App State team and a weak South Alabama team.

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
There's a lot of chance in football. Lucky and unlucky bounces happen all the time. Maybe we're getting our share of good luck now, I dunno, a lot of unlucky things happened too. But what cannot be denied or overstated is the intangible aspects that exist on all great teams is starting to emerge with this one. First and foremost is a clear leader who rises to the occasion when the game hangs in the balance. And equal in importance, one who inspires others to do likewise.

Justin's late game heroics are what they are at face value, but they are so much more than that. JT's short history in a GT uniform has only fed and nourished the faith and confidence he has in himself. More importantly, his teammates believe in him, too. I say it again, that cannot be overstated. Someone else said the fact he's not afraid to go full bore into the teeth of the defense says so much to his brothers. If he's willing to give it up for me, then I'm damn sure willing to give it up for him.

Something else, too. The team believes in the the system and what the coaches are selling them day in and day out in practice. How often do we hear our offensive system may be good at getting yards in the middle of games, but it stinks at the end of games when your behind, with little time left and a long way to go. How does that criticism ring now?

To me, this is what, at least so far, has separated Justin from Tevin Washington and put him more in the Joshua Nesbitt category; Justin appears to be a QB who has a knack to win close games whereas Tevin lost many of them when they were on the line. If this is, indeed, the case, then watching this team the remainder of this season, and the following two, with Justin Thomas as GA Tech's starting QB, will be extremely exciting for Jacket fans.