UVA - 12/31

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
You’re moving the goalposts. That has nothing to do with your original comment or my reply.

Your original comment was that we have no one in Mike’s, Jose’s, or Moses’s league on this team. I disagreed and said we did but they were just young. Our best players are sophomores. You’re comparing a junior and 2 seniors to three sophomores.

So, how about Moses’s sophomore year? How about Jose’s? If I remember, Mike kind of disappeared his sophomore year. I’d take the these sophomores over those three as sophomores every day of the week, and that is not a knock on Jose, Moses, and Mike, who also had some pretty nice help down low.
Ok, let me restate, I don’t think any of the 3 sophomores will ever be first team All ACC. Does that satisfy you.

Do you think any will become ACC Player of the Year or Defensive Player of the Year?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Ok, let me restate, I don’t think any of the 3 sophomores will ever be first team All ACC. Does that satisfy you.

Do you think any will become ACC Player of the Year or Defensive Player of the Year?
I don't know. Did you think when Moses was a sophomore that he would be ACC Player of the Year? Did you think Devoe would be the ACC Tourney MVP? Jose was always a good defender, so that's not out of the realm of possibilities. These guys are going to be better when they're seniors. It's nature.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I don't know. Did you think when Moses was a sophomore that he would be ACC Player of the Year? Did you think Devoe would be the ACC Tourney MVP? Jose was always a good defender, so that's not out of the realm of possibilities. These guys are going to be better when they're seniors. It's nature.
No on Moses but he had the physical skills to be darn good. None of the young guys are as athletic as he was. Kelly and Moore have potential to be good ACC players.

Mike could always shoot the lights out so no surprise there. Jose was the team’s best player from his first game. Great defender, tough as nails and made everyone much better so noreal suprise there.

College BB is about high level guard play. Our guard play is not good, especially PG play.

We have no PG in the pipeline. Hoping for a top notch transfer is not realistic under CJP.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
No on Moses but he had the physical skills to be darn good. None of the young guys are as athletic as he was. Kelly and Moore have potential to be good ACC players.

Mike could always shoot the lights out so no surprise there. Jose was the team’s best player from his first game. Great defender, tough as nails and made everyone much better so noreal suprise there.

College BB is about high level guard play. Our guard play is not good, especially PG play.

We have no PG in the pipeline. Hoping for a top notch transfer is not realistic under CJP.
I don't necessarily disagree with you about the team in general, but it still isn't the point we were discussing. These are just my opinions.

We were talking about players being at a certain level. You're comparing seniors to sophomores. My point is I believe when they're seniors they'll be really good. I think Deebo is playing much bigger than he did last year. Javon is light-years ahead of last year. I draw a strong comparison in the athleticism between Moses and Javon. He's really impressed me this year. He's way ahead of Moses on their trek. Who knows where he'll end up when he's a senior. As for PG, Sturdivant and Deivon should both be serviceable PG's for different reasons. Sturdivant should be driving for that mid-range jumper and then dishing when he draws the defense. Deivon should be taking it to the rim and then doing the same thing. Both seem to be dribbling too much. I don't like our offense with this group. It doesn't seem to flow.

That being said, we've got a ton of young guys (our better talent is young) that can become a Jose, Moses, or Mike in terms of team leaders and high level players.

Rzunz

Jolly Good Fellow

Is Blue Cain not a PG?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I don't necessarily disagree with you about the team in general, but it still isn't the point we were discussing. These are just my opinions.

We were talking about players being at a certain level. You're comparing seniors to sophomores. My point is I believe when they're seniors they'll be really good. I think Deebo is playing much bigger than he did last year. Javon is light-years ahead of last year. I draw a strong comparison in the athleticism between Moses and Javon. He's really impressed me this year. He's way ahead of Moses on their trek. Who knows where he'll end up when he's a senior. As for PG, Sturdivant and Deivon should both be serviceable PG's for different reasons. Sturdivant should be driving for that mid-range jumper and then dishing when he draws the defense. Deivon should be taking it to the rim and then doing the same thing. Both seem to be dribbling too much. I don't like our offense with this group. It doesn't seem to flow.

That being said, we've got a ton of young guys (our better talent is young) that can become a Jose, Moses, or Mike in terms of team leaders and high level players.
We just disagree. In my opinion Kelly and Moore are playing better than last year. Debo seems worse to me and Smith really doesn’t have a good position to play. He can’t shoot well at all and isn’t a very good distributor as a PG plus defenders can back off several steps while daring him to shoot.

CJP has shown no ability to maximize the individuals’ strengths.

That’s my concern going forward. We have only 3 guy who play in their second year and have 4 of the 8 who get minutes are Seniors. Ugh

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Is Blue Cain not a PG?
I am hoping for this. In highlights, he seems to have a knack for scoring off the dribble and distributing like a PG but those are also just that - highlights.

Re: Deebo - Mike Devoe's 3 point shooting dropped off a bit last year after Jose left and that was with Ush on the floor at the same time. His footwork/agility training in the offseason w/ the Track/XC team obviously helped his scoring numbers, along with the craftiness he always had. All this is to say if you get Deebo an elite PG, he will return and maybe even exceed where he was at last season. We don't have anybody who draws extra defenders on this roster, which would allow us to kick it out to the perimeter/swing it eventually to Deebo as a spot up shooter. He's been knockdown this season when he gets clean looks - he's just not getting enough of them.

If Blue Cain can play that role and elevate Deebo with him, we're talking about a team next year that has 4 true ACC starters. They will be competitive (albeit small)..

slugboy

Staff member
Our offensive scheme is set up so we don’t have to rely on one super guard, even though the last time we were playing well was with Alvarado. The Princeton offense is to have multiple ball handlers instead of one Kenny Anderson. We could run a lot of low-post Princeton instead of the high-post that we’ve been running lately.

To me, one thing that hurts us with this offense is that, low-post or high-post, the 5 is critical to making the offense work, and we haven’t had that for the last two years. (If you’re a basketball guru, feel free to dig in and explain where I might be wrong on that) There are other offensive schemes that are designed for when you have three or four really good shooting guards, but we don’t run that.

Here’s a nice explainer, for those who don’t know how Princeton is supposed to work: https://www.coachesclipboard.net/PeteCarril_PrincetonOffense.html