UFO's

GT_EE78

Banned
Seems to have been a flurry of video's released over the last couple of months.
Anyone think it's Amazon's new drone delivery system?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Seems to have been a flurry of video's released over the last couple of months.
Anyone think it's Amazon's new drone delivery system?
As always with UFOs or UAPs, each event may have its own answer. What is different now, as opposed to the previous 70 years, is the government no longer feels compelled to explain away those small number of events for which we currently have no adequate explanation.

GT_EE78

Banned
As always with UFOs or UAPs, each event may have its own answer. What is different now, as opposed to the previous 70 years, is the government no longer feels compelled to explain away those small number of events for which we currently have no adequate explanation.
agree, that guy seems to be confused as to what an xband radar image looks like versus infrared imagery, still some of this stuff looks interesting.
if someone can zip in and out to watch our pilots training, that's quite a tactical advantage.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
agree, that guy seems to be confused as to what an xband radar image looks like versus infrared imagery, still some of this stuff looks interesting.
if someone can zip in and out to watch our pilots training, that's quite a tactical advantage.

I'd bet *most* of this is the Chinese or others agitating our defenses, then eavesdropping on the responses.

GT_EE78

Banned
I'd bet *most* of this is the Chinese or others agitating our defenses, then eavesdropping on the responses.
i'd think russians, germans or israelis to be more likely but don't see why any would reveal an advanced technology just to spy on training missions...

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
i'd think russians, germans or israelis to be more likely but don't see why any would reveal an advanced technology just to spy on training missions...
Most of the incidents have been at the Navy's practice/test ranges off the East and West coasts. In general, I think what they saw were simple technology like balloons with radar reflectors, other non-high tech drones, and stuff like that, just to "tickle" a response out of US systems. There are probably sensors deployed alongside those drones that receive information about radar bands and the like and transmit it back to whoever "daddy" is. All of that stuff is fairly easy to deploy from an autonomous device the size of a torpedo (or multiple devices like that). There are autonomous submersibles today that use air flasks to control their buoyancy and can "fly" hundreds of miles through the water just using buoyancy and aircraft like wings. They are essentially silent and are pretty cheap, and could certainly be used to deploy espionage devices and to stick an antenna above the waves to capture information about US technical means. Being that these areas are (generally) international waters, there's not much the US can do to prevent it.

Going a little deeper, I'd love to get a *real* expert to put very specific questions to the pilot interviewed on 60 minutes. I'd ask about the claim that the Tic-Tac went from ground level to over 60K' and back in a very short time, for instance. I'd love to know where he got that information. I don't think his F-18's radar could track something like that (using the circa 2004 radar he had at his disposal), and I know he can't measure that kind of thing with his eyeballs. So, did someone sitting behind a radar console on a nearby ship tell him that? Regardless, RADAR can be spoofed or the guy who told him that may not have first hand facts at his disposal. That video has been public domain for a while and nothing about it looks different (to me) than what it looks like when you see a balloon out of an aircraft's window. Even the videos with a cloud background appear to show the same kind of relative motion as what you'd see looking at a balloon out of the window of a nearby or circling aircraft.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I don’t get particularly breathless about anomalies on radar. That seems to happen regularly and usually has a terrestrial explanation. It’s the stuff that combines radar with visual ID from multiple sources that kind of makes you go hmmm.

During the Cold War I can understand why the government would explain away to the public things that they hadn’t figured out yet. I would be curious why now they are ok letting the public see things that could confuse people or cause wild conjecture. I’m not suggesting conspiracy; just wondering why the policy has changed.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, I don’t get particularly breathless about anomalies on radar. That seems to happen regularly and usually has a terrestrial explanation. It’s the stuff that combines radar with visual ID from multiple sources that kind of makes you go hmmm.

During the Cold War I can understand why the government would explain away to the public things that they hadn’t figured out yet. I would be curious why now they are ok letting the public see things that could confuse people or cause wild conjecture. I’m not suggesting conspiracy; just wondering why the policy has changed.

IF most of the stuff people are seeing is spy drones or radar reflective balloons, maybe the military is putting it out there so civilians are more on the lookout for things like that. Maybe a fisherman sees one floating in the water and grabs it, rather than just sailing on past. In other words, they are making it high profile to get public help in figuring out who's behind some of it.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
IF most of the stuff people are seeing is spy drones or radar reflective balloons, maybe the military is putting it out there so civilians are more on the lookout for things like that. Maybe a fisherman sees one floating in the water and grabs it, rather than just sailing on past. In other words, they are making it high profile to get public help in figuring out who's behind some of it.
That’s exactly what I was wondering. Like an FBI photo of a subject asking “have you seen this person?”

But they definitely seem less concerned about fueling conspiracies about UFO coverups than they are about getting public input.