UAB Closing Football Program

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Will we pick up any of their players? They have several underclassmen on their depth chart from Georgia, including some WRs, RBs, a DL and LB from metro Atlanta.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
This will be VERY, VERY difficult....more likely we might could get one of their current 2015 recruits to come to GT, but the guys that are already there would not qualify most likely, or have any chance to survive academically. But, with that said, if there are big nasties available, we need to try to figure out a way to get them.

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
The following are DL listed on the depth chart. All from GA.

Jontavious Morris - 6-2, 310, Jr.
Uneik Crumbley - 6-3, 324, So.
Daron Wright - 6-2, 256, Jr.

thebull35

Jolly Good Fellow
Assuming they had someone we want, would he be eligible to come in and play immediately?

Not sure if it works the same in major college football, but a few years ago Birmingham Southern (a very solid D2, or maybe D3, can't remember...they routinely beat Troy, UAB, South Alabama, and both Bama and Auburn on occasion) folded their Baseball program. Their players were immediately eligible after transferring. Again, not exactly apples to apples, but I know it happens

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'd expect more schools to shut down football as most lose a lot of money. Having a losing football team is probably worse than no football team for many schools without a 100 year history.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The athletic department technically still needs to release them, but most people think that's a formality considering the obvious.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
UAB, my alma mater, is bleeding cash on a huge scale. The Alabama legislature is unwilling to take money from Auburn or Alabama-Tuscaloosa athletic budgets, or raise anyone's taxes, so the well is pretty dry over there. The politics of football in Alabama are way beyond the scope of the swarm,, but suffice it to say they really had little choice.

To answer another question, UAB players in good academic standing with remaining eligibility can transfer to any other football program and play immediately. Jordan Howard is a guy I would look at. I think he would be a perfect fit at B-back. He is a 230-pound sophomore who gained 1500 yards this year.

techdad

Jolly Good Fellow
They all can transfer and can play without sitting out a year. UAB is a good academic school so I would bet there would be more players academically eligible for GT than you would think.