TN to add 'talent fee' to all tickets

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
One other note on this. All of this depends upon the House settlement which the judge has currently sent back to the parties to renegotiate.

Also, in an article I read schools see the $23M number more as a floor not a ceiling. Schools that have the resources are expected to spend way more than $23M on players.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Schools that have the resources are expected to spend way more than $23M on players.
That is not my understanding. Conferences can decide what it is. The SEC looked at the lowest school, Vandy, and made their budget the cap so that no school within the conference can outspend another.

Other conferences can decide their rules.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
That is not my understanding. Conferences can decide what it is. The SEC looked at the lowest school, Vandy, and made their budget the cap so that no school within the conference can outspend another.

'Caps' will have the same issues that caused the lawsuit. I don't see how an agreement to a current lawsuit can contractually limit future players. It will probably be litigated again at some point, unless there is a collective bargaining agreement with the players.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

It's not clear to me that this is the case. Maybe they are referring to averages within a conference. I could be misinterpreting.

According to the NCAA's latest info release, 22% is a cap against the average P5 revenue. From their release: "...allow schools to provide up to 22% of the average Autonomy 5 athletic media, ticket, and sponsorship revenue to student-athletes"
Source: NCAA Latest info on House Settlement

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer

Cap? That has to be a joke, right? So teams that paid players when the cap was $0 and probation was a possible penalty are gonna magically stop at whatever the cap is on paper? This is laughable.

I can see it now, “here kid, here’s your 400K wired into your account. Now, next Tuesday stop by Bubba’s car lot and pick up your car in the name of Vincent Dooley. Just don’t tell anyone, okay.” Or “here’s your 400K wired into your account, now tell your mama she may want to look under her back porch for a red Target bag with what we talked about inside“.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
It's not clear to me that this is the case. Maybe they are referring to averages within a conference. I could be misinterpreting.

According to the NCAA's latest info release, 22% is a cap against the average P5 revenue. From their release: "...allow schools to provide up to 22% of the average Autonomy 5 athletic media, ticket, and sponsorship revenue to student-athletes"
Source: NCAA Latest info on House Settlement
I'm sharing what I heard directly from the folks that are executing it. Take it for what it is. Maybe they are wrong? I dunno.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer

NIL payments are not going to be sustainable long term. The current model of “college” athletics will not exist by the time the ACC’s GOR ends in 2036. College football and its powers are absolutely murdering their own golden goose. The infinite money pool they think they’ve figured out by allowing NIL is going to rapidly dry up. Once fans get fed up with players taking their money and then moving on to the next big thing, it’s over. What’s the point in supporting a program whose players don’t respect you or your money? The same large programs with the biggest fanbases and donors are just going to keep winning. Can’t believe anybody thought something else would happen.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Cap? That has to be a joke, right? So teams that paid players when the cap was $0 and probation was a possible penalty are gonna magically stop at whatever the cap is on paper? This is laughable.

I can see it now, “here kid, here’s your 400K wired into your account. Now, next Tuesday stop by Bubba’s car lot and pick up your car in the name of Vincent Dooley. Just don’t tell anyone, okay.” Or “here’s your 400K wired into your account, now tell your mama she may want to look under her back porch for a red Target bag with what we talked about inside“.
Why don't you compare eras before and after the forward pass was invented while you are at it? You are trying to equate two completely different eras now ... just like before and after gambling.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There can't be a compensation "cap" (whether NIL, salary, etc.) without collective bargaining amongst Student Athletes...otherwise you'll see a class action lawsuit for collusion and price fixing labor, among other antitrust issues. Also, you have to have a distinct measure of where the "cap" is coming from. For instance, the professional leagues and their respective players unions start with a percentage of the annual media payouts, and work their way down to percentage of merchandise, etc.

Some of this was addressed by the Supreme Court recently, and there's currently legislation regarding an SAs right to collectively bargain.

Beyond that, I think what UTennessee is doing will be what MANY other schools will start doing. Whether it's delineated in fees or not, the consumer (or fans) will ultimately bear the brunt of SA costs. If you think about it, it also helps schools clearly show how they can pay different "wages" or payments to different SAs from different sports. A gymnasts will have a hard time arguing they should be paid the same as the football team's QB when the amount of "talent fee" from events for gym meets is far lower than football games.

Last edited:

roadkill

Helluva Engineer

As I understand it, the cap is for a pool that is intended for the rank and file S-A. I don't believe the distribution is expected to be even across all S-As, so elite athletes could be compensated well above the average.

Also to your point, the settlement is just for "above the table" compensation. Nothing to limit "under the table" comp for elite athletes. But the pool should be enough to mitigate that somewhat.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
There can't be a compensation "cap" (whether NIL, salary, etc.) without collective bargaining amongst Student Athletes...otherwise you'll see a class action lawsuit for collusion and price fixing labor, among other antitrust issues. Also, you have to have a distinct measure of where the "cap" is coming from. For instance, the professional leagues and their respective players unions start with a percentage of the annual media payouts, and work their way down to percentage of merchandise, etc.

Some of this was addressed by the Supreme Court recently, and there's currently legislation regarding an SAs right to collectively bargain.

Beyond that, I think what UTennessee is doing will be what MANY other schools will start doing. Whether it's delineated in fees or not, the consumer (or fans) will ultimately bear the brunt of SA costs. If you think about it, it also helps schools clearly show how they can pay different "wages" or payments to different SAs from different sports. A gymnasts will have a hard time arguing they should be paid the same as the football team's QB when the amount of "talent fee" from events for gym meets is far lower than football games.
I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that the Class Action Settlement is sort of a proxy for a collective bargaining agreement. Any athlete can opt out of the settlement, but if they don't, the terms are binding within the bounds of the Class. Also if anyone opts out of the Settlement, they are on their own insofar as litigation against the NCAA is concerned.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that the Class Action Settlement is sort of a proxy for a collective bargaining agreement. Any athlete can opt out of the settlement, but if they don't, the terms are binding within the bounds of the Class. Also if anyone opts out of the Settlement, they are on their own insofar as litigation against the NCAA is concerned.
For former and current players. Can a class for a lawsuit include future people "harmed" by the actions of an entity? I dummy see how an agreement today between former athletes and the NCAA can include our be legally binding upon future athletes.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

NIL payments are not going to be sustainable long term. The current model of “college” athletics will not exist by the time the ACC’s GOR ends in 2036. College football and its powers are absolutely murdering their own golden goose. The infinite money pool they think they’ve figured out by allowing NIL is going to rapidly dry up. Once fans get fed up with players taking their money and then moving on to the next big thing, it’s over. What’s the point in supporting a program whose players don’t respect you or your money? The same large programs with the biggest fanbases and donors are just going to keep winning. Can’t believe anybody thought something else would happen.

10K households $100 per month? To give to 18-22 year olds to play college football? We’ve gone absolutely stone-cold daft.