this week's game is very very exciting for Bill Curry

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
Curry has ties to both schools, he played for Dodd coached Tech from 80-86 and founded GSU's team in 2008 and coached from 2010-2013. Now yes because GT is the alma mater he will probably root for us, but he is the godfather of GSU football. To see how far that program has come in 15 years, from their early years in the Georgia Dome to their successes under Shawn Elliot, it's been remarkable. I hope we win, and make a statement, but no matter what happens, Bill Curry has left a indelible mark on both programs. He was never the greatest coach (although at GT and Bama he did fine) , he'll never bein the hall of fame, but when it comes to the PERSON, Bill Curry might be the greatest man to ever coach at Tech. Bobby Dodd said once in 1986 "We need more Bill Curry's in college football."

If y'all have any stories about Bill, his time at Tech or his time building up State, share them here.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Curry has ties to both schools, he played for Dodd coached Tech from 80-86 and founded GSU's team in 2008 and coached from 2010-2013. Now yes because GT is the alma mater he will probably root for us, but he is the godfather of GSU football. To see how far that program has come in 15 years, from their early years in the Georgia Dome to their successes under Shawn Elliot, it's been remarkable. I hope we win, and make a statement, but no matter what happens, Bill Curry has left a indelible mark on both programs. He was never the greatest coach (although at GT and Bama he did fine) , he'll never bein the hall of fame, but when it comes to the PERSON, Bill Curry might be the greatest man to ever coach at Tech. Bobby Dodd said once in 1986 "We need more Bill Curry's in college football."

If y'all have any stories about Bill, his time at Tech or his time building up State, share them here.
I shared a flight with Coach Curry and his wife from NYC to Atlanta. Sat across the aisle from him. We talked GT football and other things during the flight. It was some time after he had left GT but I don’t remember the exact date. Very engaging man and conversation. I have remained a fan of his bc of this personal experience.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
When Curry was still an active NFL player, he would come back to Atlanta in the off-season & do Sports for WAGA, then Channel 5.

He always made time to come by our spring practices to just watch, BS with anyone within earshot, etc.

Early in his NFL career he was the deepsnapper for the Packers and then maybe a little for the Colts. He was always open to questions from us fellow Centers, whether about technique or just about anything else.

He may have been a player for a couple of eventual NFL legends named Lombardi & Shula, but he still was a kindred spirit to those of us on The Flats.

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
When Curry was still an active NFL player, he would come back to Atlanta in the off-season & do Sports for WAGA, then Channel 5.

He always made time to come by our spring practices to just watch, BS with anyone within earshot, etc.

Early in his NFL career he was the deepsnapper for the Packers and then maybe a little for the Colts. He was always open to questions from us fellow Centers, whether about technique or just about anything else.

He may have been a player for a couple of eventual NFL legends named Lombardi & Shula, but he still was a kindred spirit to those of us on The Flats.
that's so cool!

Tommy_Taylor_1972

GT Athlete
I first met 27 year-old Bill in November 1969 in the old GT football weight room where he was bench pressing tons of weight. The next day the Baltimore Colts played the Falcons at Grant Field. The next day when the Colts team busses arrived at Grant Field, Johnny Unitas nodded at me from his window seat, a big thrill for me an 18 year old. 50 years later in 2018, Bill was the featured speaker at an Army leadership conference in College Park. Bill's dad was an Army major who taught and coached at the Georgia Military Academy in College Park, renamed Woodward Academy in 1966. Bill told some great leadership stories. Bill was always supportive of all things Georgia Tech, an example in supporting the annual golf tournament for Roger Kaiser's granddaughter Lexi.

1724859352950.png

1724860838055.png