The Stuff We Rarely Consider

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Thank you for posting, Fred, but this just confirms what I thought about cDH. He has quite an advantage in Georgia with the baseball talent, in-state tuition, and HOPE scholarship. And he routinely has a worse team every year, with a losing team last year.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thank you for posting, Fred, but this just confirms what I thought about cDH. He has quite an advantage in Georgia with the baseball talent, in-state tuition, and HOPE scholarship. And he routinely has a worse team every year, with a losing team last year.

I'm not a CDH big supporter anymore but I don't think it is entirely fair to say CDH has a big advantage.

First off, the baseball talent in Georgia is about the same proportional to population of other Southern states from something I saw a while ago.

Second, GT is not for everyone and you have to work hard at academics. That reduces the numbers. Add onto that the difficulty of maintaining the required GPA at GT for HOPE is a lot harder than other schools in Georgia. The overall GPA is lower at GT than other schools so fewer maintain their qualification. And not to be mean, but Georgia kids are competing for that GPA against out of state and international kids with higher academic credentials. All Georgia schools have in-state tuition so that isn't an advantage relative to Georgia kids.

Third, there are other good options to play baseball in Georgia. UGAg, Ga Southern, Ga State. Having more options goes along with the larger population of Georgia, e.g. there aren't a lot of options in Utah. Here one can argue that the ACC draw and exposure helps a lot. It does and only UGAg can claim an equivalent draw.

CDH gets us to the 80th to 90th percentile in results. By that I mean we are 30th to 60th out of 300 college baseball teams. That isn't satisfying to me at all but it is factual. We have done and should do better.

Finally, and this isn't aimed at you @psjacket , but I'm trying and I think we all should try to be a bit less negative. That doesn't mean say stupid happy things which are unsupportable, just refrain from being negative. I'm trying my best and delete most of my snarkiness / sarcasm before posting. Everyone is entitled to post what they want, but people associated with the program read this too. There isn't much else out there for GT baseball.

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Thanks for your response. You are correct that we as GT fans (including and especially me) need to be more positive. I love GT and can't fathom why anyone would not choose to come to GT if given the chance. Let's look at the arguments:

1) Even if Georgia's talent is equal to other states, Georgia has 2 times population thus 2 times the prospects of other southern states except Florida.
2) Good argument.
3) Really uga (sic) is the only competition that I see. This shows how Georgia has struggled with an advantage combined #2.

I would still argue that we have an advantage or equal footing against all ACC teams except for FSU and Miami. We do recruit to a top 15 to 30 class almost every year. We should not finish 30 to 60. We should expect at least to host a regional every other year and win one every third year. Hopefully this is a year we make some noise.