The state of sports journalism

slugboy

Staff member
Sports Illustrated used to be the pinnacle of sports journalism. Hemingway wrote up a bullfight. Plimpton participated in camp with the lions (kinda). We used to have The Wide World of Sports

Some info has gotten democratized, but šŸ˜¢

IMG_2509.jpeg

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I used to always be stoked to go to the mailbox and get the hard copy each week.
Itā€™s been a while but yeah. Iā€™d have to wait for my dad to finish, but Iā€™d watch it like a hawk for my turn.
When we were done reading, Iā€™d take the covers off and stapled around the top of my bedroom like a ceiling border.

Blog and vlogs and the instant nature of news has ruined a lot of journalismā€¦ probably all of it. Timing and quantity far outweighs quality. Thatā€™s not really unique to journalism but SI obviously was not immune.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I have a very old hardback book (from childhood) that is an historical collection of some of the best writing on football. Amazing that serious writing about this sport used to be standard. Modern writing is sometimes very good with analytics but there is rarely any poetry anymore. And thatā€™s too bad because the poetic captures the intangibles in sports, the thing that often decides the difference between winning and losing.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Life without the Sunday newspaper is diminished. We had good writing back when Outlar, Bisher, Grizzard (yeah, I know) wrote for the Atlnta fishwrapper. Heck, even the Macon Telegraph had good writing with Harley Bowers and a few others whose namess escape me.

I also miss the old Sporting News. I used to love the baseball statistics and could name the starting lineup of every team in the NL. I couldn't name 5 players in the major leagues these days. And the SI Swimsuit issue, what a lovely harbinger of spring that was!

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Life without the Sunday newspaper is diminished. We had good writing back when Outlar, Bisher, Grizzard (yeah, I know) wrote for the Atlnta fishwrapper. Heck, even the Macon Telegraph had good writing with Harley Bowers and a few others whose namess escape me.

I also miss the old Sporting News. I used to love the baseball statistics and could name the starting lineup of every team in the NL. I couldn't name 5 players in the major leagues these days. And the SI Swimsuit issue, what a lovely harbinger of spring that was!
IMG_7690.jpeg

Phenomenal.
Journalism.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I lost my job as a writer this CBB season after five years. Almost all betting and game previews are now AI generated. You can tell when reading them, there is no personality or humor in them. Pretty solid hit to my wallet as it was supplemental income to offset the cost of heating oil in the winter. $4-500 a month doesn't sound like much until it isnt there.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
I lost my job as a writer this CBB season after five years. Almost all betting and game previews are now AI generated. You can tell when reading them, there is no personality or humor in them. Pretty solid hit to my wallet as it was supplemental income to offset the cost of heating oil in the winter. $4-500 a month doesn't sound like much until it isnt there.

A lot of them on X seem super sensitive and cocky.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Itā€™s the absence of objective journalism reporting facts. All you get these days is agenda fiction of one type or another. If you canā€™t report the facts you donā€™t deserve my time. I donā€™t need SI (or any other sports journalist) to tell
me how I should think.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I miss the days of the sports journalist who didn't care about anything except their work. Kids wives wardrobes all suffered because they just needed to cover their team/sport 24/7. Well with the advent of tv, came the "celebrity" sports journalist who cared more about being on TV than they did covering their team/sport.

I'm only 40, but I'm starting to fully understand Yogi; who was quoted by a guy on his 3 divorce who loved his kids but was never around and had a mustard stain on his golf shirt "The more things change, the more they stay the same."