The State of College Baseball

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Regarding Scholly's - With Title IX it'll be difficultto expand the count too much, but heck why not 12 instead of 11.7!?!?!

I do like the premise of the seeding so that some "top" teams dont' beat each other out just due to "travel".

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks for posting.

As a selfish fan, I’d like a later season start since it would increase the quality of baseball in the first few months not playing in the cold and going into the summer would provide less dead time till football starts. Plus, it would take away some of the SEC geographic advantage of warmer spring weather and make the playing field warmer (sic) for northern teams. It would probably help GT moving to summer since the players can schedule their easier classes and focus more on baseball. We've seem the quotes from players about the difficulty of tests and papers and exams that they have to cope with after putting in lots of hours at the ball park.

But the downsides are that summer ball set up in Cape Cod and elsewhere would probably be eliminated. This is a great experience for the players. Also the MLB draft is currently at the end of the college season. This way, teams would lose their players in the middle of the season. I guess losing players mid-season could be good for parity as the best teams would lose some of their best players mid-season. Kind of like the minors leagues do all the time ….. The MLB is the elephant in the room and college baseball would probably never change without it’s blessing. Nice thought exercise, but I don’t see the season getting shifted to the summer.

Other topics:

· I like the idea of going to two divisions for college baseball.

· I’d also like a “hard” scholarship limit in theory, but can't see a practical way to implement. This discussion of the 11.7 scholarships really added to my understanding of one of the controlling factors of college baseball.

· And I like the new flat seamed ball. Almost paradoxically, it gives the game more runs (home runs) and the pitchers more control (strike outs).

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Also the MLB draft is currently at the end of the college season. This way, teams would lose their players in the middle of the season. The MLB is the elephant in the room and college baseball would probably never change without it’s blessing.

Just a brief reply on this subject Nuke.

I've read somewhere the NCAA were talking about the possibility for the MLB draft being moved to Omaha and after the Series was addressed briefly. Remember the MLB draft was established in the mid-60's. CWS and college baseball was not a huge deal. So I don't know where that stands now. If it stands at all. There's a lot to work-out to say the least.

College baseball has grown since those days and I hope the two can work something out.

Would love to post more about this and the other topics but have other things right now to deal with.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer