The Great Green Debate

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, the tax revenues would be huge according to what I have read. As for growing your own, they said essentially the same about what would happen once prohibition ended but what was discovered was that bathtub gin and moonshine weren't worth the trouble for most people since the commercial variety was more convenient and usually much better quality. So those who choose to grow their own will not dent the market too much.
I don't know exactly what the home distillation laws were in 1933, but currently, there are federal laws against distilling any amount of alcohol for human consumption without permits/licenses - then there will be state laws regulating it too. So the idea that it isn't "worth the trouble" probably has more to do with the legalities of distillation than the actual effort.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
So the idea that it isn't "worth the trouble" probably has more to do with the legalities of distillation than the actual effort.
I am assuming there will be similar laws should wide spread marijuana legalization occur. The power of the industry will drive the legislation, in my opinion.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Still apples n oranges....lot easier to hide a grow closet / room etc than a still. Lot easier to grow. Unless the "industry" can severely drop the price....there will be a pretty good incentive to grow your own or even grow to sell black market IMO

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Still apples n oranges....lot easier to hide a grow closet / room etc than a still. Lot easier to grow. Unless the "industry" can severely drop the price....there will be a pretty good incentive to grow your own or even grow to sell black market IMO

What's different between the scenario you just spelled out versus what happens today? We just don't see any tax revenue today and pay a lot of tax money to criminalize it.

I'm all about safety and my primary concern with legalization is the DUI issue. But I'm not sure I have heard a compelling argument against it, other than that. As long as we have a fair, accurate method to do on site testing for intoxication levels, I see no issue.

I'm not going to use the stuff, but Im all for more tax dollars that aren't mine. Lord knows we need em!

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

Have you ever tried growing your own weed? It takes a LONG time to get from seed to flower, and most stoners don't have the patience to grow their own, plus it costs a good bit of money to run the lights/water/nutrients needed for a good harvest. A lot of places in Colorado will sell seeds and clones, and people are using them to grow their own, but it's not making a big dent in the actual product sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Colorado also has had a large percentage increase of DUI of marijuana.

Keep in mind this is happening in an environment where CO cops are actively on the lookout for high drivers, and they're being hit with losing the revenue streams of fines and asset seizure from drug arrests (just look at some of the stats regarding "civil asset forfeiture"...its staggering). That's a HUGE loss that they are feeling. I'm not saying there are not more people on the road while high (although I'd guess the number of impaired drivers on any substance is likely the same), just that the stats are not happening in a vacuum.
And to the questions on how to enforce DUI with weed, I think the best option is to rely on field sobriety tests (along with the presence/smell of drugs or paraphernalia in the car), and if they fail then go for a blood test.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Have you ever tried growing your own weed? It takes a LONG time to get from seed to flower, and most stoners don't have the patience to grow their own, plus it costs a good bit of money to run the lights/water/nutrients needed for a good harvest. A lot of places in Colorado will sell seeds and clones, and people are using them to grow their own, but it's not making a big dent in the actual product sales.

No I never have. But my best friend growing up did. Grew a plant in his apartment closet. It was not difficult for him.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
And to the questions on how to enforce DUI with weed, I think the best option is to rely on field sobriety tests (along with the presence/smell of drugs or paraphernalia in the car), and if they fail then go for a blood test.

Alcohol and MJ DUI and standard field sobriety tests (SFSTs) are still apples and oranges. The science behind alcohol SFSTs is pretty old, pretty robust, and heavily tested in case law. Not so for MJ. Alcohol and MJ affect the body in fairly different ways and a whole new set of SFSTs needs to be researched and developed before it can be enacted in law. (If pot is legalized) Then they will have to be tested in case law as cases are prosecuted.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Alcohol and MJ DUI and standard field sobriety tests (SFSTs) are still apples and oranges. The science behind alcohol SFSTs is pretty old, pretty robust, and heavily tested in case law. Not so for MJ. Alcohol and MJ affect the body in fairly different ways and a whole new set of SFSTs needs to be researched and developed before it can be enacted in law. (If pot is legalized) Then they will have to be tested in case law as cases are prosecuted.

Yes and no, SFTS are used to determine if a driver is impaired thus establishing probable cause to administer a breath or blood test to support a charge of DWI/DUI. An officer cannot cite a driver for DUI/DWI even under implied consent unless the the driver fails the SFTS.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Yes and no, SFTS are used to determine if a driver is impaired thus establishing probable cause to administer a breath or blood test to support a charge of DWI/DUI. An officer cannot cite a driver for DUI/DWI even under implied consent unless the the driver fails the SFTS.

Right......but SFSTs for MJ don't really exist the way they do for alcohol. Horizontal gaze nystagmus (the most accurate SFST) is primarily geared to measuring the affect of alcohol on the nervous system and eyes. HGN due to drugs typically only shows when testing vertical nystagmus. My point is, SFSTs for MJ are rather under developed.