Thank you John Oliver #soybeanwind

GTJason

Helluva Engineer

I can't wait to see the signs in the crowd when we play Clemson this year. Dabo Swinney: as pleasant as an edamame fart

**This thread is not posted to debate paying players, but any jabs at Clemson are appreciated and encouraged**

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

I can't wait to see the signs in the crowd when we play Clemson this year. Dabo Swinney: as pleasant as an edamame fart

**This thread is not posted to debate paying players, but any jabs at Clemson are appreciated and encouraged**

Good piece by a very funny guy. I never tire of hearing our most entitled talk about too much entitlement. At the same time I gather the Swinneys contribute a great deal to the Clemson community at large.

decatur jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Good piece by a very funny guy. I never tire of hearing our most entitled talk about too much entitlement. At the same time I gather the Swinneys contribute a great deal to the Clemson community at large.

No one likes a good jab at Clemson more than I do, but it does not seem that LWT did much research on Dabo. He and his mom were homeless while he was on scholarship at Alabama. She lived with him in the apartment he shared with his roommate. If anyone knows what it is like to be a poor S-A, I would assume it is Dabo. That said, I hope we beat their pants off every time we play them.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
No one likes a good jab at Clemson more than I do, but it does not seem that LWT did much research on Dabo. He and his mom were homeless while he was on scholarship at Alabama. She lived with him in the apartment he shared with his roommate. If anyone knows what it is like to be a poor S-A, I would assume it is Dabo. That said, I hope we beat their pants off every time we play them.
Really interesting and if I recall from somewhere he made either academic all-SEC or academic all-American or some such as a wide receiver. I was told by one of those know-somebody-who-knows him that when Clemson had the dinner for him to accept the Bobby Dodd award several years ago he invited every coach who ever coached him in any sport at any level to show his appreciation. Seems an interesting guy.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He's still a clown.
Well, I don't know. Unusual personality, to be sure, but as noted before, he sure doesn't hesitate to get into the Old Head Coach's face and the Clemson fan base seems to eat it up. I am too lazy to look up his record but it is a good one. But what do I know, I just "got" your avatar. Need to be more observant.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Interesting that Dabo was made a target. There are certainly a number of problems with the current system which should be addressed and can be ridiculed, however such pieces like this IMHO over simplify the problems, and offer no real analysis or realistic ways to address the problems. Of course his primary focus is trying to get laughs but too many people seem to think these comedians are wise commentators as well.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Interesting that Dabo was made a target. There are certainly a number of problems with the current system which should be addressed and can be ridiculed, however such pieces like this IMHO over simplify the problems, and offer no real analysis or realistic ways to address the problems. Of course his primary focus is trying to get laughs but too many people seem to think these comedians are wise commentators as well.
Actually I thought Oliver was on target and I learned a couple of things. Swinney is pretty readily available and says what he thinks -- probably one of the reasons he and Johnson hit it off -- so he kind of puts himself forward as a target. But if Oliver really wants to do a service, he can find out and tell us the story of Swinney tossing Jim Kelly's son, a 4-star QB, off the team, and how he wound up at Mississippi ... and now facing more legal problems. The coach says, of course, that he will more or less, kinda, maybe and sorta, review or look at or whatever the whole thing, whatever it is. He thinks. Of course there is this team thing and the team needs a QB, so ...

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Don't like that guy. He comes off as the know-it-all on top of the mountain and his arguments are awful (granted I've only seen like 4 of his rants). Don't feel like rehashing the discussion, but, imo, he's the spinniest of spinners on this subject as he is everything else I've seen from him.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I knew about Dabo and his mom too. Problem = there are two ways people who get on horseback come out of an experience like that. Either they are sympathetic to the unfortunate and show it with their works or they are ruthless SOBs who look for every new dollar for themselves and could care less about the rest of us. The other problem = it is real hard to tell them apart. The ruthless SOBs tend to be borderline sociopaths and are good at covering up.

I don't know which one Dabo is, but the evidence so far suggests that he's one of the sane ones. Of course, it always looks like that.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I knew about Dabo and his mom too. Problem = there are two ways people who get on horseback come out of an experience like that. Either they are sympathetic to the unfortunate and show it with their works or they are ruthless SOBs who look for every new dollar for themselves and could care less about the rest of us. The other problem = it is real hard to tell them apart. The ruthless SOBs tend to be borderline sociopaths and are good at covering up.

I don't know which one Dabo is, but the evidence so far suggests that he's one of the sane ones. Of course, it always looks like that.
From every thing I hear about him from friends in Clemson, he and his wife definitely are the sane ones. Supposedly give a lot of money to various causes, small and large, in and around town, and that in addition to her more highly publicized charity work with some foundation with Steve Spurrier's wife, and ask for no recognition at all. Damn him anyway. Supposed to hate those Clemson guys.